Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭yagan

When you say rural I assumed one off houses outside towns, but then you cited towns.

There is a difference. Rural can be more dangerous for people in terms of loneliness and general isolation, but statistically it's very safe.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Adare might be safe apart from burgularies & Business break ins but Croom certainly isnt .

Askeaton,Abbeyfeale,Newcastle West, Rathkeale , Kilmallock , Charleville are all controlled by traveller drug gangs and the outlying villages of these towns also suffer .There has been some welcome garda activity this week in Newcastle West & Rathkeale & charleville but its only scratching the surface of whats going on , its been allowed fester for the last decade into complete breakdown of law and order in these towns.

Post edited by Beasty on

Explain that to all the people robbed by traveller gangs that abandon their homes to move into nursing homes or bolt themselves into their houses from 4pm every evening with about ten locks on their doors that live oiutside these towns & villages

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/shock-home-burglary-co-limerick-13691545

Post edited by Beasty on

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/shock-home-burglary-co-limerick-13691545

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Controlled by traveller drug gangs" is just pure hyperbole.

What are they controlling ?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

So both Dublin isn't safe and now rural Ireland isn't safe? There's nowhere left.

Is the next thread Ireland isn't safe?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pjordan

So I expect you mean in terms of the impact of crime on rural communities? The reality is that there's still an urban/rural divide. Even midsize towns in rural Ireland are affected by drugs and gang related violence and you'll always get the drunken/drugged up scrotes that will pick a fight on random strangers for no reason at all and are frequently carrying knifes now too. The weekly provincial newspaper court reports are full of evidence of cases with solicitors pleading on behalf of their clients that it was "completely out of character" and it was merely the influence of the drink or drugs. I would say however, in both urban and rural Ireland, drug debt (from cocaine especially) is a growing problem with dealers prepared to go to whatever means necessary to collect their debts.

Apart from that, the main risk to one's health and property in rural Ireland proper is from a marauding crime gang targeting your property, or the possibillty of encountering a coked up driver on a rural unlit road while walking, cycling or driving or, applicable to anywhere in the country, being scammed out of your hard won earnings by some online activity or other.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭yagan

I said statistically. But you seem to not want to hear that.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Neither will a scrote for 99.8% of the population

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

Rural Ireland is safe, apart from the roads..The speed peopleare driving at.. and for the standard of driving is terrible !!

Post edited by Beasty on

When the Garda Stations were closed down or reduced to micky mouse hours ie 1 hour or less a day , scumbags can operate freely , in towns mentioned earlier there is sizeable extended families who dont work and are free to intimidate all other people all day every day. They would also be heavily involved in selling drugs & intimidating anyone that intefers in that.

One time in these towns there was a garda station to prevent that but Alan Shatter of Fine Gael closed them or downgraded them so these gangs know theres nobody to stop them bar a once a year raid locally.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Post edited by Beasty on

when you know there’s no guard to correct you when your driving on the phone , or reading your WhatsApp’s or replying to them people can’t resist been on their phones

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nowhere is safe anymore.

We don't know who will be coming to our communities so everyone has to be viligant.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

I think as the Terminator, you'll be grand Arnie.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement

A Connacht man sobbing about immigration 🤣

The only fuking job that place had for a hundred years was bus drivers working the route to the Dublin port ferry.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Says the lad from Limerick which was a dump for most of the last 100 years so maybe you should sit this one out.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭L Grey

Rural Ireland isn't controlled by a Gambino-type organisation but it's naive to ignore the fact that crime happens and drugs and its problems have changed rural Ireland to some degree.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You make these towns sound like something out of mad max, op.

Thankfully travellers don't control any town in Ireland, neither do drug dealers.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

I think you've used a very poor example to be honest!

A bank will hold a theoretical knife to the throat of elected representatives in a closed-door meeting at 2am and swindle €64 Billion from everyone so they don't lose.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement

At least I can admit that Limerick's problem are and always were fellow Limerick people.

I'm not at home soiling my pants about some "unvetted" bogeyman that the tabloids have fooled me into believing in.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re answering your own question with a link to an article which describes Gardaí being very effective in thwarting organised criminal activity (though reading the article it would seem that their criminal activities were decidedly disorganised! 😂).

Rural Ireland is perfectly safe in the respect that by virtue of it being rural, the same opportunities for antisocial behaviour as are present in urban communities, simply do not arise. There has been a growing trend in recent decades of drug-related criminal activity in rural areas, but nothing at the level which would suggest that rural communities are unsafe, any more than there is significant credible evidence to suggest that urban communities are unsafe or any more dangerous than rural communities.

It’s the role of the media to report on circumstances of public interest, and quite often various media outlets will embellish their coverage in order to portray a particular narrative, in order to draw more attention and thereby more clicks, papers sold, subscriptions and interactions. It doesn’t work if they’re only reporting factual information, because that’s far less interesting or likely to draw attention. It works the same way for your discussion(s?), in that you begin the conversation with a question, then answer it in what appears to be the negative, comparing coverage in the media of rural criminal activity with coverage of urban criminal activity in the nations capital city.

It’s evident that you’re attempting to exaggerate to make your case, but there is scant evidence that there is any cause for alarm either in rural or urban communities. Having lived half and half between both rural and urban communities, I’ve never felt unsafe in either, nor have I ever had any cause for concern, suspicion, alarm or fear. That doesn’t mean I’m not aware of other people some of whom have good reason to be concerned, but most people simply do not, and don’t feel a need to be concerned about the risk of becoming a victim of a crime committed by someone else. They might have greater reason to be concerned if, like the individuals in the article you posted - they are already involved in criminal activity themselves.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a nonsense post.

Should you be called Quietlife or what was the thinking?

Post edited by Beasty on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do you really think you'll get beaten up for walking on a street in Dublin? Sounds like bollox (to coin your phrase)!

To answer the OP's question, Ireland is a safe country.

Post edited by Beasty on

I know I'll get a ban for doxing but I'm certain Quitelife is actually Mrs Glynn.

"What next? Somebody will be murdered, and then where are we? Drive by shootings in the night, it'll be like Boys n the Hood. And then they'll have hoes selling their wares in the middle of the street and the pimps will be using crack cocaine to keep the whores under control.”

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you wander off one of the main drags there is a very real possibility. Dublin always had some real threatening places very close into the centre.

I remember been warned off going past the cathedral by a local the first time I went to Dublin over 30 years ago - it certainly hasn't got better.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Rural Ireland is ridiculously safe. Certainly can't compare it to the cities or the bigger towns.

Post edited by Beasty on

That's not true. Dublin is fine, you'll be perfectly safe walking the streets of your capital. Even off the "main drags".

If you're ever visiting post up on the Dublin City forum for advice, where to go, what to etc… It's a very very safe city.

Post edited by Beasty on

do you know or have any experience of any of these towns in county Limerick controlled by the traveller drug gangs ?

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yeah...Dalkey, Blackrock, Malahide, Howth, Mount Merrion, Sandycove, Donnybrook, Clontarf, Ballsbridge, Rathmichael, Castleknock, Sutton, Killiney (bored now) are all terrible places alright.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement

Save that for your other thread rather that repeating everything here. I thought this thread was about safety in rural Ireland as a whole and not traveller drug cartels in towns, ergo Urban, parts of Limerick.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭nachouser

I live in Dublin CC, and I reckon it's quite safe. I'm in Sligo at the moment and it seems pretty safe. Not one person offered to sell me drugs. Lots of strangers nodding at you as you walk past. I dunno, Ireland is mostly safe.

Post edited by Beasty on

The only added danger to rural areas would be road accidents. The majority of road deaths happen on rural roads in Ireland. And the general health implications of car dependency, rural obesity etc…

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Aurelian

I live in rural Ireland. The only criminality I see on a daily basis is driving. The only thing that disturbs my peace is how people drive.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Feline Groovy

Of course it is. While break-ins/burglary, assault and intimidation are obviously unacceptable, isolated incidents don't make the entire Irish countryside dangerous.

Post edited by Beasty on

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭Allinall

Post edited by Beasty on

You keep beating this drum. Is any place outside a city classed as rural to you? Is an isolated incident in one location sufficient to describe all of rural Ireland as unsafe?

Is this just more fuel being thrown in your anti traveller campaign?

Post edited by Beasty on

I couldn’t care less who anyone is or what they are but those who commit crime have a huge impact on law abiding people and that’s not right and should be punished if that’s in Longford , Limerick or Talbot street …we are too soft on crime

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, theres no conclusive evidence to support stiffer sentences actually reduces overall crime rates, as its highly complex in nature

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MallowMan17

CCTV, monitored alarm, dog and shotgun makes it perfectly safe

Post edited by Beasty on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭mikethecop

people who are confined 24 hours a day behind large walls commit significantly less crime against innocent people.

not locking people away who persistently commit crimes like burglary is a failure by the state in its duty of care to the victims of those people , by all means educate and rehabilitate people in custody but they must be incarcerated for long periods of time to protect the vulnerable citizens.

nothing complex about that

Advertisement