Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Jobs in Civil/Public Service

• 14-05-2023 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have been applying for some management roles recently as I want to get out of the private sector. I'm just wondering how difficult these roles tend to be, as the people you are managing generally have a job for life. I work in a very casual multinational and have managed a couple of poor people in the past. I found it very stressful as my manager didn't really care if they were doing the job well or not. I'm a bit wary of having several people under me like this in civil service and being stuck with them. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Why do you want to move to the public sector?

The answer.. The public sector is huge. One area can be very different to another.

Management in the PS can be much trickier with trying to motivate bad attitudes and lifers, and you will come across these in every department and you won’t ever sack them. You have the ability, depending on your manager, to improve processes and network. It can be very very interesting and varied. Your role can be much more rewarding then somewhere profit based. Coming from a very casual workplace will be an adjustment when moving into a structured workplace. How a remote office with the OPW works and how the Taoiseach’s office works will be entirely different!

Wow.

Well, if that's your attitude straight off the batt, I suggest you stay where you are.

Advertisement