Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guiding teenager through leaving cert and beyond

Options
  • 15-05-2023 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi

i think this is the best section for this as it’s more so a parenting query over educational.

My daughter is doing her leaving in a few weeks, we have found it hard to get her into school this year, and she has missed a lot of days, and we seem to constantly be reminded that she is 18yrs old and is an adult.

She has never really had a calling towards any particular career, and at the start when it came to talking about College courses she was talking about courses that were very very difficult, long and hard to get into.. I had mentioned teaching as possibly a good balance for her and she changed to that..

we have spoke a few times and I have told her that she doesn’t have to go to college and that there are other ways, to which she responded she doesn’t want to miss out on the college experience.. this statement kind of knocked me back a bit, I don’t mind paying for her to go to college for the right reasons, but paying for the experience is not very reassuring..

At this point it’s a case of one week she is set on going to college and the next she isn’t and that she is fed up in school.. it’s very difficult to get her in to school, and free classes, or not feeling well are used and the purpose of studying at home as a selling point.

At this point I don’t think she is ready for College, or possibly ever will be, I think she has no idea of what she wants to do which is ok, lots don’t. But I feel she has no drive, no ambition and is immature.

If she does decide to go and gets enough points, I am strongly thinking of telling her that she needs to take a year out, work, earn some money towards it more so to see a commitment from her towards it…

are any other parents experiencing similar or have in past? What do you do?

Advertisement