Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stressed at work.

• 15-05-2023 7:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Hi guys.

I work in a nursing home. Six weeks ago I started a new job as activty manger. I have a small team of four plus me.

It was explained that I would have a couple days a week to do the manger side of things and then be on the floor.

Since I started we been extremely short staffed. Two day's I have been on the floor twice in the past by myself and most days there is only two.

I been doing by best trying to do the manger stuff while being on the floor. There was no manger for months so there is a backlog, along with trying to plan ahead and dealing with the day to day. Also very negative attitude in the team and one member being hostile towards me.

H.R. are aware and spoke to them. I now see why no one wants this job.

H.R. and management seemed supportive but this weekend I was told they were not happy with the lack of trips. We done six since I got here with little or no staff. I feel liked telling them to get stuffed.

As I'm so stressed. I haven't been given one day to do the job I was hired for, along with dealing with anything else.

I tried so hard the past few weeks and done the best I can. I been looking for a new job but just waiting on interviews I wish I could leave but can't afford to.

I'm just stressed and it's only week 6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jacfrosty

HR and Management will continue to appear supportive while you continue to bail them out.

In reality, it seems that you are compromising yourself because they can’t effectively manage the situation.

Play hard ball with them, demand the time you need to succeed in your actual role.

They might surprise you and get their finger out. Most likely they won’t, but at least you’ve called it out and we all know where you stand with each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Thank you. I had a big chat with them yesterday. It's the same old story. They acknowledge the issues but not going do anything I'm just looking for a new job and first chance to bail I'm taking it.

I had a big argument with the person who was at me. We won't be rostered together till Tuesday and will see how it goes. Next month roster is a joke as two of them are on holidays. I be myself muplity days. Making hard to do both jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d just start looking for another job…..

any employer who demands a certain workload but who won’t give you the tools to do that work has already thrown you under the bus.

you can negotiate for them to give you those resources, but you don’t need to, why ? Because they know already you need them, they just prefer to see you struggle on because it suits their balance sheet and or agenda.

if you went to your doctor and they acknowledged your headaches and dizzy spells but didn’t offer you help / scans, you’d find a new GP…find a new job… it’s draining, demoralising and ultimately pointless having to negotiate with people just so you can do your job well.

• We are told there’s 100% employment rate, but I take this notion with a little grain of salt. The quality of the jobs is poor in service & care industries. The aim by owners is to increase profit so when you are down the food chain you don’t count. But, if enough people show they will not put up with needlessly stressful working conditions, owners will have to change.

In the meantime you may stand out in a negative way whilst refusing to put up with cr@p, and as you say, you need the money to live. If you can, put sone money away for making a change to another job, where at interview you determine to employer you expect as good of management as the quality of employee you will be.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for your reply

It's tough in the healthcare industry. All placesstruggle to keep safe and they wonder why.

I would like to move something different but no luck. I hoped me being a manger was a way to move into something different. But realistic only been two months.

A new staff member starting Monday and they are looking. In a couple of months things could be better but honestly the relationship with the aggressive colleague might not be savalavged. Will know Tuesday but is worth the drama? And the stress of the next few months.

Advertisement