Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

That is totally off script! Considering you had an injury you really shouldn't have raced that 10k, you could have put yourself out of dcm altogether. You've been really lucky there.

You've to keep to the plan now and build your mileage at easy pace, you don't want that injury back and its a long road ahead with loads of miles to do so be really sensible or you will come a cropper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Yep, 6 runs again, 60.9km total. I miss judged the LSR route slightly and end up doing 25.5km. It was pissing down so I wasn't stopping and walking home after the 21km mark. I really enjoyed the hill sprints for something different. The LSR was enjoyable too despite the weather. I did find that I was starving for the last 5km or so. I really need to look at how I'm fueling my body before hand. The Saucony Triumphs runners are the best purchase I have made in a long time.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? I think so. I am really getting used to running 6min/km easy pace and the LSR.

- Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet? 

The haven't said anything yet, but they definitely are 😂 I'm trying to limit how much I mention it, but I love that buzz after a race or a good long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Crunchy's mention of the rain reminded me of something I meant to post about at the weekend.

We're having the poxiest weather right now, my run on Saturday was probably the wettest ever.

Embrace it though.

It's so easy to skip or delay a run because the weather is crap, lashing rain or windy.

Do the opposite. Have a checklist, tick off a howling windy run, a lashing rain run, a sweltering hot run.

Practise opening gels with slippy wet hands. See if you need to wear a headband.

The only thing out of your control on race day is the weather.

Be ready for all of it.

Well done on all counts. LSR was a little long but it's hard to measure them out - I use strava route builder but that is part of the subscription service, I think there are some free tool you can use like this one https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/ that might help in getting the distance more accurate.

My favourite run last week was on Sunday in the lashing rain, I could have run all day! Great to see the pace down too and that the new trainers are working out for you.

If you were hungry then you definitely need to start looking at the fuelling during the run, typically you can only go about 1.5 hours before needing fuel, even with a breakfast, as you only store enough fuel for that amount of running. I'm testing out some gels at the moment, I tried a decathlon gel and a High5 Aqua gel, I liked the first one and the second one was terrible to consume but didn't upset my stomach, it's trial and error with them so I'd recommend to everyone to start testing out what works on your long runs as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

I've been using SIS gels on the long runs and they're working pretty well so far.

I suspect it's going to be a whole different ball game taking them at marathon pace though.

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the SIS ones yet, I was going to last year but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere when I went looking. I went with Torq from Holland and Barrett in the end, they are an acquired taste (rhubarb and custard!) but sit well in the stomach so that's what I went with.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Great posts from @TheRef and @Lazare - thanks for the encouragement, I could hear the Eye of the Tiger intro playing in the background as I was reading them! 😁

Slightly freaking out about upcoming Saturday lsr if I'm honest. It's going to push me into new territory - crossing the 3 hour mark. @MisterJinx what is this route planner in Strava you speak of? I'm limited to where I can run so I might have to build a variation around the canal, probably with some repeated terrain. The new part going towards Sallins is probably a no go unfortunately as its too traily for foamy shoes. I'll have to think on it.

For the last lsr I ate 3 small bananas just before I went out and had a gel at 10km mark. I didn't feel a boost from the gel but I imagine it worked in that I didn't experience hunger pangs towards the end. Maybe I'll take the same approach but use 2 gels at 8 and 16km. Can't even remember the gel - it was the freebie from the Fingal 10km, but I seem not to have an issue digesting any of these and the various tastes don't bother me either.

I need to up my game on the water front but the thought of carrying it is putting me off. I don't have a big enough belt for all my stuff and I can't stand handheld things (too sweaty). Any tips welcome 😉

Doing foam rolling this morning and then I might stick my lower legs in the kids lego bucket with warm water. 😄Thanks for the tips! 👍🏼👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Regarding Water:

I am currently using a belt like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0118PHJ7W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As well as the two water bottles (that I wouldn't fully trust not to leak if they are on their side, but they are fine in the belt), It has little elasticated thing for carrying the gels on the outside. Phone fits fine in the pocket, and it has some inner pockets to keep other things away from the phone.

I do feel a little like a pack mule when fully loaded, but it has been working well for me so far. It's nice to be in control of even the vessel the liquid will come in, because the last race I was at the, the water was in a wide screw top bottle type thing, something that would be quite difficult to drink while running. I've even heard of some races give out water in plastic cups. Its also nice to be able to drink when it suits rather than waiting for a water station.

For training though, The other option is to place some water the night before or morning of somewhere strategic, or time your run so your looping back past the car/house about half way though.

That belt looks really good @witnessmenow thanks. I might give it a go. I'll measure my Samsung phone as it's stupidly large.

Just did 22 mins of foam rolling my calves and left shin (shin also being a pain). I think I muttered FŰ€K about 672 times. Very, very tight. Followed a YT tutorial as I haven't a clue. Will try do 10 mins per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done all on all the great training going on. The 1st time doing each LSR with the distance increasing feels so daunting at times but god the feeling after it is amazing! I absolutely loved ticking them off week after week😊 trust the process & believe in yourself. Totally agree with @Lazare don't let any weather put you off, see it as an added challenge, dress for the occasion & just get the miles done, call it mental resilience 🤪

This is the belt I got in decathlon & have used it lots, really soft & holds lots. They also have soft flasks in decathlon that fit in the belt which are so handy. It's defo a good idea to get practising all the stuff you might carry on the day in the belt with the gear you might wear to check for comfort & chafing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

For anyone looking to plan and measure a route, this is what I use....

https://onthegomap.com/#/create

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Afternoon everyone. I have a free Garmin Forerunner 235 going spare if anyone still needs a watch. Happy to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I have a hydration vest that's pretty comfortable even when it has a couple of water bottles and gels in it. I do feel a bit silly going out in it but it does the job. Decathlon have a few different brands of them for decent price if anyone is Dublin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 4 Summary

-Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? - Yes 5 days running/ 1 day cross / 1 day rest. The LSR was enjoyable, I was really surprised as I have trained that length before at a faster pace and it was tiring the last few km. Finding my LSR training pace listening to this group has helped. Weather stayed dry for the whole thing, so really lucky there. First long run trying out the gels again and they were OK for me (Hi5 Aqua Orange) but I used them before. I have been doing my weekday runs mainly before work and found myself getting unusually tired early afternoon. I think it is settling again and just a few days of lethargy.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? - yes, I think so. I did find that during the second half of the LSR my mind drifted a lot more and suddenly I was running too fast and had to full it back.

- Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet? - Not yet, I think they are still surprised that I am doing it. Couldn't do it without their support and encouragement so I have to avoid annoying them.

Have you increased the amount your sleeping? I used to be a bit of a night owl, could easily stay up late working on projects and playing games online but that is just a thing of the past since I started running.

I am getting up earlier, so obviously need to go bed earlier to compensate for that, but I find unless I get even more sleep that than that, I don't feel like I've gotten enough. I'd often go to be right after my kids if I was feeling it!

It's my only negative to running at the moment that it really eats into your time!

That looks good too. Did you get water comfortably into it? Looks liek everything is tight against the body

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Yes I have carried the soft beaker, gels, keys my phone & I even fitted a bottle of lucozade comfortably in when my grandson gave it to me at Walkinstown last year🤣🤣 I love it because it is so snug around the body & it didn't move much at all so no chafing from it😊

Just did my run and calves feel a whole lot better after the horrendous foam rolling.

1st km not a single ache

2 to 3km a bit achey

4 to 5km no ache

Also got some Epsom salts in Mr. Price earlier. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep it’s a great belt. Feels like part of your shorts.

• Advertisement

I use this belt too and they are great, highly recommended. Fits a tonne of stuff and you don't notice wearing it. I use the soft flasks for water when training, they have a little loop that fits on your finger, works for me in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Another advocate for that belt. I used Tailwind for fuel last year and had the powder in those soft flasks and filled two of them enroute then. Definitely worth getting. I always use a flipbelt but difficult to get the soft bottles into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Week 4 summary

All runs done 29k and stuck to the plan. The kms seem a bit underwhelming compared to the boards plan but the HHn plan is very manageable and working well for me.

The pace is getting slower, hovering around the 6m/k mark, feels very slow on the short runs but starting to feel very comfortable as the distances increase.

I missed pilates again (3 weeks now and feel every bit of it) and my cross training so I will get the bike out Friday and back to pilates next Monday.

Hope all is going well for everyone keep up the good work👍

I'm sure its been answered a million times but just looking for some input/reassurance regarding easy run pace.

Conversational pace for me is 6:45-7:00 per KM. Rough MP Target pace is 6:25 (that may be ambitious, not sure yet)

But this week I have been going by heart rate on my Garmin (The Venu if that makes any difference) and trying to stay in Aerobic, my average pace for the my 3 runs so far as been 7:31 per KM. To stay in Aerobic I need to keep my heart rate below 147 apparently (I'm 35 so this seems normal?)

I do not mind doing the 7:30 pace when I'm out on my own, doesn't bother me at all. But I am a little worried it's too slow?

Like today I did 5k fairly early in the morning, its pretty drizzly so quite nice conditions for running and I really feel like I came home feeling fresh as a daisy. I did sweat a little, but barely compared to usual!

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My opinion as a fellow noob is that 5k at easy pace during a marathon training block should feel incredibly easy, and that you're doing it right.

McMillan running gives easy pace as 7:00-7:30/km for a 4:30 marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Looks like a good belt, size guides seem a bit unusual has anybody an easier way to gauge your size lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lofty61

Hi, my first ever marathon was Dublin in 2004, I would like to finish my marathon journey by doing Dublin this year. Unfortunately I don’t have an entry, if someone is unable to take part this year I would be more than happy to accept a transfer and cover the cost of doing so. Many thanks in advance.

shane

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Advertisement

I have a size 4 and i'm a 34 inch waste if that is of any help

Advertisement