Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

That is totally off script! Considering you had an injury you really shouldn't have raced that 10k, you could have put yourself out of dcm altogether. You've been really lucky there.

You've to keep to the plan now and build your mileage at easy pace, you don't want that injury back and its a long road ahead with loads of miles to do so be really sensible or you will come a cropper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Yep, 6 runs again, 60.9km total. I miss judged the LSR route slightly and end up doing 25.5km. It was pissing down so I wasn't stopping and walking home after the 21km mark. I really enjoyed the hill sprints for something different. The LSR was enjoyable too despite the weather. I did find that I was starving for the last 5km or so. I really need to look at how I'm fueling my body before hand. The Saucony Triumphs runners are the best purchase I have made in a long time.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? I think so. I am really getting used to running 6min/km easy pace and the LSR.

- Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet? 

The haven't said anything yet, but they definitely are 😂 I'm trying to limit how much I mention it, but I love that buzz after a race or a good long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Crunchy's mention of the rain reminded me of something I meant to post about at the weekend.

We're having the poxiest weather right now, my run on Saturday was probably the wettest ever.

Embrace it though.

It's so easy to skip or delay a run because the weather is crap, lashing rain or windy.

Do the opposite. Have a checklist, tick off a howling windy run, a lashing rain run, a sweltering hot run.

Practise opening gels with slippy wet hands. See if you need to wear a headband.

The only thing out of your control on race day is the weather.

Be ready for all of it.

Well done on all counts. LSR was a little long but it's hard to measure them out - I use strava route builder but that is part of the subscription service, I think there are some free tool you can use like this one https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/ that might help in getting the distance more accurate.

My favourite run last week was on Sunday in the lashing rain, I could have run all day! Great to see the pace down too and that the new trainers are working out for you.

If you were hungry then you definitely need to start looking at the fuelling during the run, typically you can only go about 1.5 hours before needing fuel, even with a breakfast, as you only store enough fuel for that amount of running. I'm testing out some gels at the moment, I tried a decathlon gel and a High5 Aqua gel, I liked the first one and the second one was terrible to consume but didn't upset my stomach, it's trial and error with them so I'd recommend to everyone to start testing out what works on your long runs as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Runner2023

I've been using SIS gels on the long runs and they're working pretty well so far.

I suspect it's going to be a whole different ball game taking them at marathon pace though.

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the SIS ones yet, I was going to last year but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere when I went looking. I went with Torq from Holland and Barrett in the end, they are an acquired taste (rhubarb and custard!) but sit well in the stomach so that's what I went with.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Great posts from @TheRef and @Lazare - thanks for the encouragement, I could hear the Eye of the Tiger intro playing in the background as I was reading them! 😁

Slightly freaking out about upcoming Saturday lsr if I'm honest. It's going to push me into new territory - crossing the 3 hour mark. @MisterJinx what is this route planner in Strava you speak of? I'm limited to where I can run so I might have to build a variation around the canal, probably with some repeated terrain. The new part going towards Sallins is probably a no go unfortunately as its too traily for foamy shoes. I'll have to think on it.

For the last lsr I ate 3 small bananas just before I went out and had a gel at 10km mark. I didn't feel a boost from the gel but I imagine it worked in that I didn't experience hunger pangs towards the end. Maybe I'll take the same approach but use 2 gels at 8 and 16km. Can't even remember the gel - it was the freebie from the Fingal 10km, but I seem not to have an issue digesting any of these and the various tastes don't bother me either.

I need to up my game on the water front but the thought of carrying it is putting me off. I don't have a big enough belt for all my stuff and I can't stand handheld things (too sweaty). Any tips welcome 😉

Doing foam rolling this morning and then I might stick my lower legs in the kids lego bucket with warm water. 😄Thanks for the tips! 👍🏼👍🏼

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Regarding Water:

I am currently using a belt like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0118PHJ7W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As well as the two water bottles (that I wouldn't fully trust not to leak if they are on their side, but they are fine in the belt), It has little elasticated thing for carrying the gels on the outside. Phone fits fine in the pocket, and it has some inner pockets to keep other things away from the phone.

I do feel a little like a pack mule when fully loaded, but it has been working well for me so far. It's nice to be in control of even the vessel the liquid will come in, because the last race I was at the, the water was in a wide screw top bottle type thing, something that would be quite difficult to drink while running. I've even heard of some races give out water in plastic cups. Its also nice to be able to drink when it suits rather than waiting for a water station.

For training though, The other option is to place some water the night before or morning of somewhere strategic, or time your run so your looping back past the car/house about half way though.

That belt looks really good @witnessmenow thanks. I might give it a go. I'll measure my Samsung phone as it's stupidly large.

Just did 22 mins of foam rolling my calves and left shin (shin also being a pain). I think I muttered FŰ€K about 672 times. Very, very tight. Followed a YT tutorial as I haven't a clue. Will try do 10 mins per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done all on all the great training going on. The 1st time doing each LSR with the distance increasing feels so daunting at times but god the feeling after it is amazing! I absolutely loved ticking them off week after week😊 trust the process & believe in yourself. Totally agree with @Lazare don't let any weather put you off, see it as an added challenge, dress for the occasion & just get the miles done, call it mental resilience 🤪

This is the belt I got in decathlon & have used it lots, really soft & holds lots. They also have soft flasks in decathlon that fit in the belt which are so handy. It's defo a good idea to get practising all the stuff you might carry on the day in the belt with the gear you might wear to check for comfort & chafing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

For anyone looking to plan and measure a route, this is what I use....

https://onthegomap.com/#/create

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Afternoon everyone. I have a free Garmin Forerunner 235 going spare if anyone still needs a watch. Happy to post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I have a hydration vest that's pretty comfortable even when it has a couple of water bottles and gels in it. I do feel a bit silly going out in it but it does the job. Decathlon have a few different brands of them for decent price if anyone is Dublin based.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 4 Summary

-Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? - Yes 5 days running/ 1 day cross / 1 day rest. The LSR was enjoyable, I was really surprised as I have trained that length before at a faster pace and it was tiring the last few km. Finding my LSR training pace listening to this group has helped. Weather stayed dry for the whole thing, so really lucky there. First long run trying out the gels again and they were OK for me (Hi5 Aqua Orange) but I used them before. I have been doing my weekday runs mainly before work and found myself getting unusually tired early afternoon. I think it is settling again and just a few days of lethargy.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? - yes, I think so. I did find that during the second half of the LSR my mind drifted a lot more and suddenly I was running too fast and had to full it back.

- Are your friends/family fed up of listening to you talk about running and the marathon yet? - Not yet, I think they are still surprised that I am doing it. Couldn't do it without their support and encouragement so I have to avoid annoying them.

Have you increased the amount your sleeping? I used to be a bit of a night owl, could easily stay up late working on projects and playing games online but that is just a thing of the past since I started running.

I am getting up earlier, so obviously need to go bed earlier to compensate for that, but I find unless I get even more sleep that than that, I don't feel like I've gotten enough. I'd often go to be right after my kids if I was feeling it!

It's my only negative to running at the moment that it really eats into your time!

That looks good too. Did you get water comfortably into it? Looks liek everything is tight against the body

Yes I have carried the soft beaker, gels, keys my phone & I even fitted a bottle of lucozade comfortably in when my grandson gave it to me at Walkinstown last year🤣🤣 I love it because it is so snug around the body & it didn't move much at all so no chafing from it😊

Just did my run and calves feel a whole lot better after the horrendous foam rolling.

1st km not a single ache

2 to 3km a bit achey

4 to 5km no ache

Also got some Epsom salts in Mr. Price earlier. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep it’s a great belt. Feels like part of your shorts.

• Advertisement

I use this belt too and they are great, highly recommended. Fits a tonne of stuff and you don't notice wearing it. I use the soft flasks for water when training, they have a little loop that fits on your finger, works for me in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Another advocate for that belt. I used Tailwind for fuel last year and had the powder in those soft flasks and filled two of them enroute then. Definitely worth getting. I always use a flipbelt but difficult to get the soft bottles into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Week 4 summary

All runs done 29k and stuck to the plan. The kms seem a bit underwhelming compared to the boards plan but the HHn plan is very manageable and working well for me.

The pace is getting slower, hovering around the 6m/k mark, feels very slow on the short runs but starting to feel very comfortable as the distances increase.

I missed pilates again (3 weeks now and feel every bit of it) and my cross training so I will get the bike out Friday and back to pilates next Monday.

Hope all is going well for everyone keep up the good work👍

I'm sure its been answered a million times but just looking for some input/reassurance regarding easy run pace.

Conversational pace for me is 6:45-7:00 per KM. Rough MP Target pace is 6:25 (that may be ambitious, not sure yet)

But this week I have been going by heart rate on my Garmin (The Venu if that makes any difference) and trying to stay in Aerobic, my average pace for the my 3 runs so far as been 7:31 per KM. To stay in Aerobic I need to keep my heart rate below 147 apparently (I'm 35 so this seems normal?)

I do not mind doing the 7:30 pace when I'm out on my own, doesn't bother me at all. But I am a little worried it's too slow?

Like today I did 5k fairly early in the morning, its pretty drizzly so quite nice conditions for running and I really feel like I came home feeling fresh as a daisy. I did sweat a little, but barely compared to usual!

Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My opinion as a fellow noob is that 5k at easy pace during a marathon training block should feel incredibly easy, and that you're doing it right.

McMillan running gives easy pace as 7:00-7:30/km for a 4:30 marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Louis 2018

Looks like a good belt, size guides seem a bit unusual has anybody an easier way to gauge your size lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lofty61

Hi, my first ever marathon was Dublin in 2004, I would like to finish my marathon journey by doing Dublin this year. Unfortunately I don’t have an entry, if someone is unable to take part this year I would be more than happy to accept a transfer and cover the cost of doing so. Many thanks in advance.

shane

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Advertisement

I have a size 4 and i'm a 34 inch waste if that is of any help

@witnessmenow Lumen is dead right, it's not too slow. If it feels really easy then you are in the right spot. Don't be hung up too much on the HR metrics, certainly not 4 weeks into a marathon plan, just getting out and running lots of slow easy miles will get you to a great marathon. Based on your HM time, 7.30 is spot on for easy pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Very useful posts on the belt and fuelling - thanks to all the posters. I've just placed an order with Decathlon for the belt, a soft flask and a multi-pack of energy gels !

I've managed so far on my long runs without gels or water but with 15 miles+ on the horizon I know I need to change that. For the 10 miler in the park I took on water at the water stations but as it was in paper cups most of it missed my mouth and ended up all over my (already soaked from the rain) top 😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 grape86

Hi,I just got a transfer for my first marathon so I’m in the market for for a watch-would you take something for it? That’s very kind of you

Hi, I’m a bit confused? Are you looking for a watch recommendation or for somebody selling one?

Definitely worth training the body into having fuel while running. Also, I believe from a recovery point of view that it is better to be well fuelled before and during your runs. You’ll find you’re not so tired afterwards and more ready to face into the next week. Keeping glycogen levels up really helps with that whereas if you are doing long runs without fuel you are depleting glycogen levels in your muscles and possibly exhausted. During marathon training when you one heavy week after the other you want to recover as fast possible after runs. Fuelling will help that. As your long runs get longer you could consider an extra slice of toast the day before or some rice cakes and that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Legits

Hi all, I just took a transfer spot for my first marathon is it too late to join the group.

Would be great to have somewhere to bounce questions from.

• Advertisement

Never too late! You are more than welcome. Would you be able to answer the questions on the first post on the thread to give us an idea where you are at?

Sure.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Did kilkee 10k in 53mins in July 23

Parkrun not sure if that count in 24:10

Did one hm last year was very bad and finished in 2:30ish

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No but will walk or stretch if I ever feel the need.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Been running every day since mid April so 7 days a week one 10k usually at a tempo pace and one 5k at race pace rest of the days are very easy runs of 4-7k total 40k most weeks.

I also do 2 days a week of squats and weights as I find it keeps the niggles at bay.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Dream would be 4:10.

I'd like 4:30 but will be happy under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Plan on continuing to run 7 days as I like the daily morning habit. Plan to drop the speed 5k and replace with an easy run and do Sunday lsr building up to 30k with 3 weeks to go to the marathon.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

I'm a heavy runner 6foot and about 108kg so worry that the weight will impact the feet and joints as the distance rolls on.

Why are you running this marathon?

Something I'd like to do and I hear the atmosphere is great

I'm also late to the party, would it be ok to join?

Of course it would. If you could answer the few questions in the first post that would be brilliant.

For yourself and anyone else who has joined up recently we have a Strava group set up. Just PM any of myself, MisterJinx or Kellygirl with your real name and then request to join the group. It's a useful way for us to see your training. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

Welcome to those just joining us.

This weeks training felt a bit more real for me with the 24km lsr looming, it’s defo ramped up a bit 😅

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, 5 runs this week. Really enjoyed the strides again, nice to do something different.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes, all easy runs done around 7/km feel like I have a handle on the slower running now.

Did my LSR this morning pace was 6.46/km. Longest I’ve run in a while and legs felt quite tired in places but overall it was a nice run.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k - 25:06 (2023)

10k - 53:30 - (2019)

1/2 - 2:12:24 - (2022) 

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? 

No

How much training do you currently do? 

Following the boards plan but I'm a week or two behind the long run distance

35 - 40 km a week typically 

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Just want to finish, only have one half marathon under my belt so far so don't mind too much about the pace, just want to get over the line 

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Much as I need, Boards plan 

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury preventing me from doing the race

Why are you running this marathon?

Cross it off the list before injury precludes me from it 

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, 7 runs this week totalled 50k as I planned following my own plan though so hope it's OK.

Kind off I raced a parkrun on Saturday and got a new pb 24:10. Probably won't max race another one now until after the marathon just treat them as controlled speed sessions.

Did 16k this evening as a lsr avg pace was about 6:30 which is on the fast side but avg hr was low at 119 so happy with that.

Im wearing the alphaflys for the lsr as I'm worried about injury as the runs get longer as I've previously broken an ankle on one leg and a metatarsal on the other leg and I find it much easier running with on my legs.

Welcome to everyone joining us 😃

WEEK 5 UPDATE

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, 6 runs this week, 56.5km. My tired calves became a real distraction but the foam rolling suggestion from @MisterJinx worked a dream. Gonna try do it daily. New runners broken in, although got a small blister on corner of third toe during lsr. Hopefully it doesn't develop further.

Yes, I think so. I've been around 7.30p/km but the tired calves really made me question if that was too fast for 6 runs per week, and I considered going slower. I think with the foam rolling success I'm back on track.

The strides on Wednesday were a nice addition to the run.

For the lsr I decided to break it into 3 parts of 8km, psychologically. I used the route planner that @skyblue46 linked earlier,.such a good tool. I parked the car at a point and then I ran from and to it 3 times in different directions. I took a gel after the first 8km and scoffed a banana at the 16th. There were all weathers - heavy rain, heat /sun and high winds. I had 2 urgent bathroom events that I won't go into, but suffice it to say the situation is starting to stress me out a little on runs. I'm proud that I deviated from my well worn route a bit, as I'm a terrible creature of habit and the urgent events are exacerbating that. I think I've just stumbled upon my new 'stress dream' - DCM laughing stock due to unruly bowel 😆😆😆, think I'd rather stick with night before leaving Cert Gaelige exam and haven't opened a book! I still have that dream and I did my LC in the 20th century! 🤣

anyway...

Up the yard, Week 6!!

Great stuff legits, fine if you are doing your own plan but 16k is a little behind where we would want you to be in the lsr. Also a bit like another novice here you shouldn't be racing at 5ks or speed work, it's not what is going to get you across the line for a marathon, what you need right now is long endurance runs, not speed work. I know it's counter intuitive but the lsr's will make you faster not speed sessions. Concentrate on distance and time on feet.

Great to have you on board. Looks like you had a good week there and you've done good times in the shorter distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement