Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I can see where you're both hoping to make gains over the next few months but I'd suggest letting races between now and October be the testing ground. Training to current fitness levels is the accepted norm. If you do a race that suggests your PMP is faster then you should adjust it. If a subsequent race indicates further improvement then adjust PMP again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

ok thanks for the advice! How would you suggest we calculate marathon pace based off say a half marathon time? I haven’t a clue tbh

That is a very difficult one to pin down for a novice marathon runner. For faster, more experienced runners with a history of a few years of good training it is a lot more predictable. I would suggest doubling your HM time and adding at least 20 mins, probably more for most first timers.

I appreciate the input I will see how races and training goes and adjust accordingly.

See last year I had fairly severe knee pain for the duration of the marathon and I was nowhere near as fit as I am now, I’ve also dropped some weight since then. I was unprepared for what 42.2k would feel like mentally, yet I managed 4hrs 45 mins. I know there’s no calculator for factoring all that in and 45 minutes is a lot to cut but if I can get there pain free having added in some strength training and staying consistent all year I am optimistic I can do 4 hours. I suppose time will tell but I’ll try stay realistic.

No bother. I'm just trying to make it both easier and more achievable for you. The benefits come from more slower miles rather than from speed. Let's put it this way...if you are totally intent on going rogue there is more to be gained at this stage of your development in doing more slow miles than throwing in a speed session or running MP miles too fast. By increasing your fast running you may improve your cardio levels but not your endurance or strength which are the must haves for a successful marathon. Sorry if I'm banging on about it but I honestly want the best for everyone participating in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

The best way to consistency and injury free running is lots of easy miles. It might be a bit boring at times but it will get you to the start line in good shape and both mentally and physically ready to properly tackle the day. The rest will take care of itself.

This was posted in some of the earlier posts. It will give you your training times which you can use to see your PMP, just enter a previous recent race time.

HUGE CAVEAT - there are race equivalence times here too, in all likely hood they are way out for Novice marathoners. Mine was out by 20 minutes, these do assume you've a level of endurance running built up over time which we as Novices we just don't have yet.

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

So I just had the wobble this evening when doing the session (which was thoroughly enjoyable btw) that I won't be able to maintain a 6.20 p/km marathon pace. I've picked up a dose in the last day or 2 that has me feeling a bit crappy, might be contributing to my negative mindset.

I hope I prove myself wrong on the day! 🤪

Don't worry about it, we all have wobbles in training. Just keep getting out and getting your runs in and you will be absolutely fine.

No I genuinely appreciate it this is what I’m here for to get advice from more experienced runners I will take it all on board. Thank you 😊

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

I royally ballsed up my pacing again yesterday. Flew out at 4:57/km and just couldn't reign it in properly at all after that. Ended up at 5:04/km average for the run.

Last week I was too quick but I at least settled into a rhythm and felt good for the duration. This was all over the place.

Besides just slowing down generally, any tips on how to pace myself properly? I always find "current pace" on the Garmin to be a crapshoot.

@skyblue46 do your worst 😂

Good morning....I'd probably consider using the average pace field on the watch. It eliminates all the peaks and troughs that happen when using 'current pace'.

Another option (if available on your watch) would be to set up a workout on the watch based on average pace and it will then warn you if you exceed the parameters you set.

Slowing down is, like anything else that needs learning, something that needs working on. The runner must be prepared to put in the effort. Did you get to the end of your run and get a surprise to see a 5 min average or did you know half way through that it was too fast and then not bother your a$$ to slow down?

I managed to pull it back a bit for the next couple of kms but the remainder was downhill and I ended up increasing the pace again without really realising it.

I think a large part of the issue is that I'm just very out of sync with what running a particular pace feels like. I haven't run anything other than slow in months other than the two pace days so far the plan. Before I would have had a good feel for 5:00/km pace for example and I'd be fairly sure if I was going much quicker / slower than that. It feels like that's gone out the window now.

I'll look into setting up the watch to make it easier, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

+1 on the average pace field suggestion. Current pace isn't much of a help to the distance runner and you don't want to be constantly looking at the watch to see what pace you're running.

Also be sure you know your auto lap is set to, is it in miles or km's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Another +1 here for average pace. This is what I set my watch to in races. Otherwise if it's at current pace I'm going too fast, then I'm going too slow, I'm spending more time looking at the watch and what the watch is telling me. I find personally that by setting to average pace gets me to run a bit more by feel.

Might have to duck out of Fingal. Nasty dose the past 3 days. Will see in the morn. Pain in the ar$e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Better than setting yourself back. Very frustrating though. Get well soon.

Sorry to hear that, if your not feeling up to it then don't do it.

Did a gentle shake out and feel good enough to make a stab at it. Mightn't get a pb but hopefully finish it, although between this **** cold and some temporary incontinence anything could happen really (tmi!).

If you run by someone tomorrow simultaneously coughing and holding their arse oh no you didn't!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha I love it! Very best of luck to you today, you might surprise yourself 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Best of luck with it @MiniMonstera !

I'd give it a go with cold but my worst nightmare with running is summed up by the "don't trust a fart after X miles" saying, so your braver than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck today, conditions are perfect for a PB. I planned my long run to coincide, will cross the fingallians overpass about 10 to suck in a bit of the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hope everybody gets on very well today. Looking forward to the race reports!

Really enjoyed the 10k today.

I was strongly considering giving it a miss - my achilles has really been at me since Wednesday's run (new runners) and I thought it might be a good idea to stick to a slow run instead. I didn't have any issues with it at all, thankfully.

I've never run a 10k at any kind of decent pace before so I planned to just try to stick with the 50min pacers and see how I got on. It was tough but I felt comfortable throughout and had enough in the tank to kick on a bit at the end. Finished in 48:54.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hope all went to plan today for everyone who raced ! Looking forward to hearing how you all got on. My week was grand (6 runs, 31.2 miles/50Km) including swapping the 10K race for next week's LSR so I can do the Irish Runner 10 Miler next Sunday. MP session went fine if a little too fast (9:02 min/mile average for the MP miles instead of 9:07) - the last mile was mainly uphill so I overcompensated. Won't do that again ! Got through the LSR but found it very tough. The weather (Friday early afternoon) didn't help as it bucketed down the entire time I was dragging myself around what ended up being a hilly enough route (Phoenix Park). The only other eejit out in the rain it seemed was @Murph_D . Good to have it in the bag but I found it tough, even at a slow pace. Apart from the runs I got to the gym twice and played one tennis match. Can't believe 3 weeks completed already - it's flying by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done getting tour LSR done on Friday especially in that weather. I can confirm that I was also another eejit out there in the park a bit later than you both doing my run 🙈thank god we love this running lark🤣🤣

This week was an incomplete one for me again. Total kms 31.4. Started off great and loved Wednesday's session, then woke up on Thurs feeling like muck. There's a rhino virus literally on rotation in our house and it was my turn. Friday was even worse and I thought no way will I be able for the race on Sunday, but then on Saturday I felt reasonably OK. This morn I woke up I'd say 90% better, so reverted to plan.

The Fingal 10km was really good, but tough. Typically - the weather was hot hot hot again. The heat has such an effect on me. A tiny bit of rain fell at one point but it was like icing sugar - made no difference at all. Last year, my first attempt at Fingal and even a 10km race, I came in at 59.10.

I really enjoyed the route and it didn't feel congested at any point during. I started a fair bit behind the 50 minute pacers. I wasn't intending to catch or surpass them but just wanted to be a good bit ahead of the 55's as I definitely wanted to break 55. My best 10km ever is 57.08. And today I got 54.09! I'm delighted but I actually think I could have done marginally better only for the heat and that I cut my foot during warm up,which put me on tilt psychologically. I feel like a lot of my adrenalin was used up dealing with that situation (medic's tent etc.) ten mins before the gun. Still, I'm so so ecstatic and delighted with my result. And bonus - the toilet situation didn't feature at all thank god, I was so worried about that and thought it might lead to a dnf.

So, celebrations all round, except I've to go for a tetanus shot tomorrow, oh and get new runners - crowd fund link to follow (jk, 😆😆😆)

Thanks for all the support here and on Strava 😃

MM

• Advertisement

That's hilarious! I could never ever fart during a race - it would be Russian Roulette for me!!!! 😂😂

Advertisement