Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Plan|Track|rest|Track|rest|rest|rest|18km

Actual|rest|rest|rest|rest|5km|6km|18km

I had expected to be off target this week. Monday's track session was cancelled as the rain didn't let up all day. I did an online workout instead. Small planned procedure on Tues and doctor said I could go back to exercise after 24 hours. I walked on Tues, Weds and Thurs. Went out Fri morn for an easy-ish 5km (32 mins). Parkrun Sat morn (29:33) plus 1km warm up. Long run Sun morn 18km in 2hr 2 mins, av pace 6:45 min/km. Much bigger crowd out as a lot more people locally are properly starting into their DCM training so a good mix of paces and people to chat too. Took my very first ever gel. Had been recommended to try the Hi5 aqua gels so I picked up one in Elverys during the week. Took it at the 10km mark and apart from feeling a little heavy in my stomach around 11.5km I didn't notice any other ill effects. Total for the week 29km.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

This week saw us pass the first major landmark on the plans - the Fingal 10k. Some great performances out there, well done and nice to see the race reports coming in. If you did it and haven't popped up a race report, it would be really good to read how you feel it went. If things didn't go as you'd hoped, don't worry about it. This was not the target race, we're mid-plan, we weren't peaking for this race and we haven't been doing 10k-specific training.

As is now the norm, please do a self-assessment of how week 3 went for you:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

As always, if you miss a run let it go and don't go chasing the lost miles.

There's no time to rest on your laurels as we press on with week 4:

Plan | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday

HHN1|rest| 3m easy | 4m easy | 4m easy | rest | 6m lsr | cross

Boards| rest,cross or 3m rec | 3m easy | 5m easy with 5 x hill sprints | 4m easy | rest,cross or 3m rec | 13m lsr | 3m rec

HHN1

This week sees the midweek run increase from three to four miles and a step back to six for the LSR. Enjoy! 

Boards Plan:

The plan this week sees you increase the Thursday easy run by one mile and the lsr by three miles. You will also do hill sprints on Wednesday. My preference is to do these towards the end of the run but whatever you decide:

- make sure you are thoroughly warmed up for these.

- pick a hill in advance. Ideally, it will be pretty steep. Think: short and sharp.

- these are done fast, but not for long. Think of the sprint for the line at the end of a race.

- count slowly to 8 or 10 for each sprint. There is no benefit in doing them for longer and no need to use your watch.

- after each sprint, walk back or jog very slowly. Recover completely before you start the next one.

- really focus on form: drive the arms to propel you up the hill, lift the knees high and keep the shoulders relaxed. Don't strain.

FINALLY, I know I have mentioned it previously hydration is important at all times, even though it's been wet, keep well hydrated during the day, with plenty of water, and the occasional electrolyte tab. For your longer runs, find a system that allows you to keep hydrated throughout the run - plenty options have been mentioned previously, but any further queries just ask.

We're also moving into silly season for holidays. If you haven't been yet have you planned how you are going to fit your runs in while you are away? If you are going somewhere hot (southern Europe seems to be absolutely baking at the moment) have you figured on when you can run, first thing in the morning might be the only option to avoid the heat. Hope I'm not being a bit of a party pooper but you will need to keep it up over holidays so it's best to have a plan and keep your partner / family / friends on-board with what you are planning and have their support to do it.

Best of luck with the week ahead, and congratulations again to those who raced over the weekend.

Great result, well done :-) Looks like you managed your pace really well if you had a bit to kick on at the end, really well done, these races are about race experience and knowing your limits and being able to finish out the race strong is a great skill, bank that one and use it again, it will really stand to you.

Super! The weather can be a challenge no doubt about it, personally I prefer the rain to the heat but it will stand to you, you don't know what the weather will be like on DCM day so having the experience of running in the misery is also preparation (but let's hope we don't need it!!). The hills are tough but again it's all preparation, the race series FD 10 mile and HM are on that route so it's getting you ready for those, you'll be more confident and stronger as a result of that run.

ah here, if we could give out awards I think you would deserve one, you put in a brilliant performance in the face of adversity!. I saw the pic you posted on strava of the cut in your foot, looks sore, to have gone on and get a pb with everything that happened during the week and just before the race, that is some determination you have. I think you deserve a really nice pair of new runners...... ;-)

What's really good to see is your confidence building, knowing you can get through a race without any accidents, run hard and get results, and that determination to get to and across the line, you can't buy that for love nor money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

How week 3 went...

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 5 runs in over the week totalling out at 41km and 2 weights sessions.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? LSR much better pace wise this week, 6.44/km avg over 18Km (bridge the gap distance wise a little bit more to the 21km this coming weekend). Midweek runs all fine pace wise and Sunday recovery jog was exactly that!

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing? Yeah training part going grand so far anyway, little bit of tightness in the legs but just need to add more stretching/movement to W/U and C/D.

Well done. You've managed what could have been a very difficult week really well. Getting the walks in when you couldn't run is really commendable and then getting the LSR in over the weekend too, bravo. It would have been really easy to put the feet up so you should be very happy with that week.

There is a nice little buzz out of the roads now isn't there :-) I like the little nods and waves to the other runners who are on the same journey, it's a nice sense of community.

On the gels, just from my experience, I can find some of them heavy too, I tend to eat (drink??) them quite slowly. I might take 10 or 15 mins to get through them, this is just so I'm not hitting my stomach all at once with the whole lot which (for me) had lead to cramps before. On the next one maybe give that approach a go and see what happens. It's really trial and error with gels so it's great that you are practising now.

Well done, sound like you are ticking along nicely and getting the paces into the right place. Do concentrate on the WU and CD and also, I hate to say it as I'm bad at it myself, the foam roller. They really do help with easing out the muscles and helping with those tired and tight legs. Even just a few minutes helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 3...

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? All good. Did 5 days running/ cross training 1 day/ 1 day rest as per plan.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? My first easy run was a little fast but Wed MP and other runs all paced well. Did the Fingal 10k on Sunday.

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing? I am surprised how much I am enjoying it. I thought it would be more of a mental battle to get the training completed each week. I am trusting in the program as asked and the Strava group and this makes me feel like I am not training alone.

Fingal 10k The run went very well. Probably my fastest in 15 years (not that I ran too much in that period). I didn't look at my watch until I had finished. I probably will need to check my pace in the longer races but for this I felt I could trust my body and pace and see how I went. My legs weren't overtired but felt pushed and I was happy with breathing/ pacing throughout. I kept the 55 min balloons about 100-200m ahead of me and could see them getting closer. Being a little further back allowed me to use my own pace but still stay in touch with them. I tried running the Limerick Half Marathon with the pace makers and I was too close and I found it hard to settle into a rhythm that suited me and I paid for it later in the run. One thing I could improve on would be hydration. Before the race I left my water in the car. A little thing but something I want to remember not to do again. During the race, the cups of water were difficult to drink from. I had a combination of trying to drink too much too quickly the first time and the second time I spilled as much as I drank. I need to figure out what my hydration plan for the marathon will be and not rely on the water stations 100%. I am used to taking sips over a longer period so I will look at options. Overall I really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Got 4 runs and one strength session done as only decided to the boards plan on Wednesday. Going to do my best to get 5 in this week but I’ll be altering the plan slightly as I’m doing the Irish runner 10m this Sunday would appreciate any suggestions on what I should do?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? Easy runs 6.47 - 6.59, I wasn’t doing Fingal 10k so I did 15k LSR this came in at 6.37. My marathon pace kms we’re too fast at 5.27 but the wind and rain were so bad on the run I could hardly see my watch, when I looked I’d try slow myself but I think my legs kept instinctively speeding up to try get home 😑

I feel really good, no niggles yet and getting a little better at slowing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Aw thank you for saying that, it means a lot. Yep, my confidence is definitely increasing, although slightly panicking about this week's lsr - how did we get to 21km so fast!?😆 can't wait to do the hill sprints. There's a hill near me that's just perfect.

Only a bit sore today (from race), nothing major. And I'm on a deadly buzz from it. Proper endorphin overload today which is nice.

Came to vhi clinic to get a tetanus, but they're giving me the full works (wound cleaning, foot xrays etc), bit mortifying but nice to be looked after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Well done to all who ran the Fingal 10k; some great times and reports!

I ran 3km this week 😐️

Spent the week doing hip/glute workouts and foam rolling.

Tested the hip out on Friday and it felt fine running but there's still some tightness in there but at this point I can't really tell 100% what's the original injury and what's foam rolling tenderness (I'm not rolling my TFL but there are a lot of hip muscles packed in tight together).

Ultimately I decided that the cons of running the Fingal 10k outweighed the pros so made the decision to skip it.

Took the extra days rest to maximise chances of a full recovery and I'm aiming to get back on plan tomorrow 🤞

keep up the good work and try and keep the paces as low as possible

Good stuff and delighted you are enjoying it :-) One of the purposes here is to help with that sense of comradery as for most people you do wind up doing a lot of this training on your own so it's nice to have a group to relate back to.

On the hydration, the water bottle beforehand is not the mistake, really you should be well hydrated from the days before and only taking a littles sips on the morning. Try keeping a water bottle with you or on your desk and try to drink regularly those days beforehand.

The cups are a complete pain though, I totally agree. There is a bit of a trick to them in that you are supposed to squeeze the top together and then drink out of one side of it. It's really awkward though. I think a couple of the race series had the cups but DCM last year had little water bottles which were much handier.

Well done on the pacing and the race, looks like you have found what works for you, stick with it if you find that is best and run your own race.

That was a good call. Keep the main thing the main thing and focus on the Marathon. Fingers crossed for you that you get back up and running this week, just take it nice and easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

Yes, 6 runs, including the Fingal 10km. Covered 44km in total.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? I managed to slow my pace again this week. My recovery run was over 7min/km, my easy run was at over 6min/km. I stuck to 5min/km for the MP.

I wasn't sure how the Fingal 10km would go. I've never done all this slow running leading up to a race. It definitely paid off though. I ran a PB of 42.28. At around 5km I felt I was running a bit fast, but manage to maintain the pace and finished with a full sprint.

I feel it is going great. No injuries and getting 6 runs in a week. I'm really getting used to running slow and starting to enjoy the benefits.

@MisterJinx thanks for the advice regarding the 10km and 10m back to back. I'm going to take that advice and give the 10m a miss this week. I'm going to stick to the plan 100%. I signed up for the FD 10m.

Post edited by Crunchy23 on

I missed the point on the 10 mile. If you are racing it then you need to swap it out for the lsr and run easy before and super easy afterwards

Well done, I saw the result on strava, super time, amazing how all this slow running pays off isn't it 😉

It sounds like you are really getting a hang of the paces. I assume you meant pmp at 5m/km, try keep it there and don't get too excited yet, there is a long road to go so keep it controlled and it'll come to you rather than you going chasing it, patience and consistency at your friends now.

Good call on the race next weekend, I raced yesterday and wouldn't go again this weekend when your in a marathon block, it could just be that bit too much. FD 10 will be a good event you'll enjoy it more and have more miles in the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

30k in the bag.

I ran at the appropriate pace all the way until Saturday when I was running on the beach & ran much quicker with the wind.

Training was flying until my 10k beach run on Saturday. I had been running mostly on grass & road. Switched to the beach for the first time & possibly ran too fast on route home with the wind. I’ve now slight swelling & soreness around Achilles today. FFS. Hopefully won’t be anything major. I’m beside the beach in Kerry for the summer. Do you think I should avoid runs on the beach ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I run on the beach to help my Achilles as the concrete and tarmac can wear away at it. I assume it is a sandy beach?

I would do all my runs on the beach if I could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ouch. The different surface may have contributed alright when it’s very new to you. Definitely rest and ice and maybe consider trying to see a physio or physical therapist if you can. Don’t try run on it if swollen and sore. You’ll end up out for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Lovely gorgeous sunny run this evening, given the horrible rain today, but I have to say I felt the leg fatigue tonight from Sunday. Still, lovely jublee

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Week 3, runs 2, total 10k

Very bad week, was on holidays and had every excuse, to make it worse I missed 2 lsr.

I'm just going to forget about it and push on now from week 4 and back to clean eating (shocking bad week🫣)

The pace is still too fast but I'm getting there, we have a 5k race this weekend, I'm unsure if I will take part, nowhere near a pb but I really enjoy (finishing) them, but I could also miss another lsr although I could alter the plan and go monday, glad to take any pointers here.

Finally I find the strava group excellent, gives me the push to get out and get the runs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hope you enjoyed the holidays. No harm in that. Time to get back on track now and no need to chase lost miles but you need to stick to the plan this week really and get your LSR done … They are the most important runs on the plans and time is ticking away nicely now. Keep the main thing the main thing and you’ll get a nice fitness boost a few weeks after the marathon and run some lovely 5Km’s then. There’s loads of them on, there’s only 1 Dublin marathon each year. I’d forget this week’s race. Can you go volunteer or support so you are still involved somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Do you have to do the 5km? Or could you incorporate it into your long run by doing a few easy miles before and after the 5km?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

Got all my runs in - 32.5k in total

Bit of a disaster with the Wednesday session as discussed previously but all the easy / recovery runs were appropriately slow. It's funny to see my Zone 2 range jump on the Garmin after I hit 193bpm at the end of the Fingal 10k 😅 It shows how far off the standard formula can be.

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing? Really enjoying it so far. I had a few niggles this week that were worrying me a bit but I've managed to stay on top of them. Coming through the 10k unscathed was a good confidence booster. Looking forward to getting stuck into some hills this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

That's exactly what I needed to hear, I'll give it a miss and get the lsr in this weekend.

No I don't have to do it, and I always empty the tank when I run them trying to run too fast so could put me back even further or get injured.

Thanks for the replies, back motivated 💪

Good call, stick with the plan and enjoy the lsr.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Do you need to be running a 1:40 half marathon to be on target for a 4:00 full? Seems a bit fast to me but that's what my dad told me. I'm only in the 1:47s, would that gap be made up by October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I don't think so, a 1:50 HM would be nice though which you are already well clear of. A rule of thumb I once heard is (2 * HM) + 20 for less experienced runners, or (2 * HM) + 10 for more experienced runers.

Advertisement