Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I handed in my notice and will be starting a new job in a couple of weeks. Can I get job seekers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I'm sure my 600 odd euro will have them worrying, next over reaction please 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Only someone used to scrounging would say something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The SWA isn’t the same as the dole. You only get it if you can demonstrate that you have no other household income and savings of less than €5000.

For some daft reason you seem to think that both your PRSI USC and PAYE is all being put away for you to use whenever you think you need/deserve it.

It’s not.

Your PRSI contributions are currently being used pay my 88 year old mothers pension. You need to hope that the predictions of what to come about this are totally wrong, because what appears to be going to happen is that in the future when you genuinely need your pension there’s simply going to be not enough people of working age making PRSI contributions in regard to the amount of elderly people needing their pension, so there just won’t be enough money in the pot.

Your taxes go to pay for all the public services that we all take advantage of every day.

• Advertisement

Yes you do. If you haven’t got one the SW will send them a form.

I said to fund such things i.e different services in the Country, I also never mentioned USC so you're making that up, I have a pension, my partner also has a pension so fingers crossed I live to see those days.

Again me taking 600 odd quid every 5-6 years isn't going to make my future elderly self broke, more hysteria from you.

Is their even any point in us debating this anymore? Neither of us are suddenly going to say "you know what you're right"

As long as yourself and your partner are ok then you really don’t need to worry or bother yourself about anybody or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Where do you draw the line? 600 euro fraud is OK, is 1,000 OK? is 10,000? I look forward to hearing where you draw the line and how you justify the number.

Ehhh no, anyone looking at the facts would say you are defrauding the system. It is fraud from every perspective and you can't change that fact.

Your weak attempt at some kind of name-calling is the only thing you have left, you have no valid argument.

• Advertisement

2-3 weeks is my line I dont care about others or your opinion of me.

Is that 2 -3 weeks per annum of fraud? By your logic it is OK to steal 3 weeks of payments, but 4 weeks should be considered fraud? Your morals kick-in at 4 weeks worth of fraud.

You asked above : Is their even any point in us debating this anymore? Neither of us are suddenly going to say "you know what you're right"

I am enjoying seeing you struggle to justify your actions, going from 'its my money' to 'its not much money' to '3 weeks worth of fraud is OK, 4 weeks not'. It is funny, there is no justification but you just keep trying anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

You can't go abroad without your case officer's permission with a request in advance when you're on a job seeker's payments. You have to request for a special form from your case officer who will post it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Really. How are dole people able to go abroad to Santa Ponsa 5 times a year? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭downtheroad

He's going to pay half of his dole income back in tax anyway lads, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I doubt they control this very tight. However, the process is there and they could. I know someone who actually works in the place who makes these decisions and they got into trouble from their manager for cutting unemployment for someone who evidently has a job and gets paid in cash. The clerk then complained about the manager so clerk actually was later promoted, however, the "jobseeker" just got a new case officer who reinstated the payments and actually got them backdated.

We really are very bad at managinig stuff in this country. We try to be too good everyone and make all happy. We are very very behind from the likes of Germany who loves the rules. We seem to be the complete opposite. We can do whatever we want whenever we want and there is a huge chance we don't get in trouble for this. Furthermore, lots of people would support us for this misbehaviour act.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Saying that your contract ended is not a lie.

If you get sacked then your work contract did indeed end.

What's the problem? I was a dole person myself for a couple of years back in the early 2010's. Great lifestyle. I look back on those years fondly, even though I'm a top 10% earner now. Couldn't do it long term though.

But I do want my tax money back to use for expenses for a few weeks between jobs.

Have you ever been on the dole?

Or are you a posh person who just needs to be outraged about some social justice something or other?

I’m a person who was getting carers allowance for some time as I was looking after a disabled loved one.

I was caring 24/7 365 for a doubly incontinent teenager. I was getting exactly €10 more carers allowance than you were on the dole while you were living it up on the dole sneering at people like me.

The DEASP have to set aside a lot of their budget to go to people like you that like to steal money from carers and the disabled and pensioners every time they fancy a paid holiday from work.

So no, not a posh person at all. I’m glad I never claimed anything I wasn’t entitled to. I’d hate to think I was a leech off other people or a sponger. It must feel like sh*t.

• Advertisement

Getting sacked will also get you suspended from jobseekers.

Yeah as has already been pointed out, it is not your money.

You are not taking back your money, you are submitting a false claim to defraud the system of funds.

When did I say I was sneering at people like you?

I was on the dole using my hard earned tax money. I worked my arse off until until the arse fell out of the economy. Pumped tonnes of tax money into the state coffers. When the economy went to shyt, I lived off my tax money / dole until I was able to find a job.

It was a great time to be on the dole because everybody else was too. Back in the days of the Hardy Bucks.

Would you prefer if I was homeless and starving living under a bridge with no dole? You getting state support while I die malnourished in a ditch not being able to access any of the supports I paid tax for.

Yes I can be dramatic too.

• In fairness you’re making apples to oranges comparisons.

TooTired123 is saying that lying to the DEASP, to claim money you’re not entitled to is effectively theft, rightly or wrongly I’m not getting involved there.

but the example you use is a time you were presumably laid off during the recession and claimed jobseekers. That would mean you were entitled.

Regardless it is a fact that the DEASP loses a lot of money to fraudulent claims. Just look at the fortune they paid in PUP to people who were not entitled etc.

Supplementary Welfare Allowance, such as your referring to, is usually only paid while the applicant is awaiting a claim for another type of payment to be processed, e.g. a claim for Jobseekers, and is in urgent need so they can pay for basics, like food. It is then repaid by being deducted from any backdated payment due when the new claim is paid.

They don't just pay people SWA for a couple of weeks to tide them over between jobs.

IIRC, SWA is also only paid if there is no other source of income coming in, e.g. if there is a spouse or cohabitating partner who is working and could support you while awaiting your claim for JS to be processed, or you have lots of savings, then you're unlikely to be approved for SWA.

Good luck in the new job.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You would think they feel bad but they don't.

Those who genuinely need assistance hate asking for it.

The spongers, scammers, waste of spaces have no morals and see it as their right to be in with their forms 2 or 3 times a week. After all, they have to do something with their long unproductive days.

I'm not struggling to justify anything I have better things to do than argue with boards.ie do gooders, I aso never said it's "my money" thats the other poster so try keep up, and no if you read my previous posts I've done it 3 times in 15 years, been working since I'm 13 and will continue until I drop dead. I only do it for 2-3 weeks as I said before I take a small gap when I change jobs to recharge and sort anything that needs to be done.

Simple as this the debate has reached a point of you're wrong I'm right etc.

Post edited by Iseedeadpixels on

Apologies, my mistake, it is difficult to keep up with the nonsense people tell themselves to try to justify their behavior.

You're OK though, you only do a little bit of fraud every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Quick everybody, make sure you keep paying thousands in tax every month. If you dont the spongers might have to get a cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

haha you're absolutely deluded if you think that's the case. what are they going to do? physically stop you going abroad? :V

I can assure you there are hundreds of thousands of Irish people living abroad right now with social welfare payments going into their bank accounts, DSP none the wiser.

The system is way too lax. Even when I worked in the medical card unit, only 3 years ago, the 'evidence' they wanted for rent expenses was hilarious, basically they accepted a handwritten note that could be written by any tom dick or harry, as proof of expenses to bring down your threshold, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that got granted the card on that basis alone.

The system is full of absolute eejits and you are away with the fairies if you think you 'can't go abroad' without filling a form or informing them :V ok maybe you meant 'shouldn't ' yes, but not can't

Advertisement