Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord who wants to accept HAP - but a bit unsure

Options
  • 15-05-2023 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there

I have a property coming up for rent. I'd like to inform myself about HAP and to get rid of my concerns, my concerns being that I might get tenants who won't look after the property. Also I find myself worried that I will be running into problems trying to fix the place up or keeping it to certain standards for the council. I always get the boiler serviced and chimney done every two years depending on issues. I also get the smoke alarms checked and have installed a carbon monoxide alarm. Two years ago I put in catches for the windows so that they wouldn't open out fully as I knew young children would be in the bedrooms upstairs. Obviously I get the white goods repaired and replaced as and when necessary.

Is there anything else that I should be thinking about please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭sk8board

i Rent to HAP, no issues at all over many years.

your concern seems to be that a HAP tenant will be harder on the house than someone who isn’t on social welfare, which in my own experience over 18 years is definitely not the case - indeed my ‘hardest’ tenants weren’t in receipt of social welfare.

the main thing about HAP is the hurdles to clear in order to qualify (proof of ownership, proof of LPT up to date, tax clearance cert, etc etc), they can take a month or two, and HAP is paid in arrears, not in advance, so you can be sitting waiting for the first HAP payment for 2-3 months as HAP is only processed on the final Wednesday of the Monday (this happened to me once, and I must say it was a tester - 3 months of the tenant in the house and zero rent. This issue is how long it takes the local council to get to your case).

I just got this in the post today, which is a big step in derisking HAP - you will be paid for 12 months even if the tenant defaults on their payment to the council. This wasn’t the case, albeit my understanding is that it wasn’t enforced very often

”From 1 May 2023 when a HAP tenant defaults on their differential rent payment to the local authority they will be offered the option of a payment plan to assist them in maintaining their tenancy and allow the HAP payment to the landlord to continue. If the tenant defaults on payment of differential rent under the Landlord Payment Guarantee the HAP payment to the landlord will be guaranteed for a 12 month period or earlier if the tenancy ends subject to confirmation that the tenant is in the property. The HAP payment will be made in-line with HAP procedures within the 12 month period or earlier if the tenancy ends.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I got emails today it is a major relief.

Only a couple of weeks ago I got one of these threatening letters from HAP informing me that my/our tenant didn't pay the council contribution and the total next agreed rent payment due might be with held.

The chap had his hours cut and is trying to understand the system, in the mean time the RTB have kept him waiting over 6 months for a residents parking permit, no wonder people don't want the hassle of renting houses.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I doubt they want to publicise it - after all, they’ve just removed the only moral hazard on the tenant to pay anything at all

• Advertisement

Yes. I pasted the relevant part in the post above

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

Hi All

Can I check if the council will pay the full rent or guarantee the HAP portion. Tenant usually has a portion to pay the council and the HAP rent differential to the landlord. It reads as though the HAP portion is guaranteed, not the full rent?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To have a residents parking permit the resident needs proof the landlord is registered with RTB, they say it takes 7 weeks from when they receive the cheque to process the registration. after 7 weeks I spoke with a staff member who confirmed she was looking at the cheque in front of her and would process the registration. Over 6 months have passed, the tenant rang last week to be told the registration has not been completed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Good question - the email seems to refer to the ‘HAP payment’ continuing to the landlord, even if the ‘differential payment’ from the tenant stops - I take that to mean the HAP payment won’t change - in other words if you get the full rent from HAP, you’d continue to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

12 months, but how many years will it take to remove them. They should be guaranteeing it until they are gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement