Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile hot spot v broadband

Options
  • 15-05-2023 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭

Have had broadband with Virgin for many years , the quality of broadband is good but sick of the yearly price increase.

I have a mobile phone cotract with 3 , if I was to terminate my Virgin contract , and hotspot from my mobile phone to my Computer , would the internet speed slow dramatically on computer (iMac).

Not a heavy computer user or very knowleadble on IT , use the internet for browsing and watch a bit of Youtube sometimes Netflix.

The wifi speed on my phone is good , dont use it for watching Video , but perfect for browsing/streaming music etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As long coverage/speed is to your needs. Having fiber assures you have steady connection (most of the time) as well as ability to use WiFi and wired setup.

Mobile is "mobile" and might not be steady all the time

Once you use your phone for call(incoming call e.g), your data speed will drop/cease as it drops to 3G during call(subject to change in the future).

Hotspot from phone only cover WiFi - for wired connections you'll need 4G/5G capable router with dedicated SIM card as well as for other users to have internet even if you leave.

Nevertheless, i am on mobile broadband for years(>10) and have what cover my needs. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thanks , I have re-negoiated a reasonable package with Virgin , so will be with broadband for anther year - appreciate your advice. B

Advertisement