Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dexcom Athenry

Options

Comments

In the short term they'll be using a building in the center of the town, pictured in the article below

That alone is a really welcome development as it brings that back into use and once the factory opens it'll be a ready-to-go space for another office based business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're expecting to recruit people who travel to the site using the .... road network that reaches far into South Mayo and again over by Roscommon, Westmeath and towards Tipperary, Limerick and Ennis

Great for the environment, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

Based on who they have onboard already, they won’t be able to keep good staff long term unfortunately. A real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

• It’s taken this long to get continuous glucose monitoring mainstream. Better late than never but we sent people to the moon a long time ago. In meantime millions of diabetics die of vascular disease. Call me cynical, but this technology was possible decades ago if there had been global political will to find & implement it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

really curious, don't name names of course but what precedent are you basing your outlook on?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

From the looks of it on LinkedIn, they are sourcing a lot of the Directors and Managers from Zimmer, Creganna, Boston Scientific etc but thats to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

Put it this way, many in Zimmer Biomet are breathing a sigh of relief

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You reckon this technology was possible decades ago? Seriously? Have you seen the size of a GCM device?

Good news for Athenry and the West although I am sure there are plenty who will find a negative spin on it (some posts her already have).

As a Diabetic CGM's were'nt widely available on the LTI card until the past 6-9 months or so, but are now available to all Type 1's from what I have seen. Which is really good for the state and the invididual.

I can now see why Dexcom won that particular battle to get on the LTI list of treatments which again, is a good thing for all involved.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

It's a good thing for the west, for sure. But not so good to see a relatively small manufacturing plant being placed so people can't use public transport to get there.

• Advertisement

I'm scratching my head at this. Who says they can't use public transport to get there??

Athenry is already served by rail and bus services. The bus service drives right past this location so won't be a big deal to add a stop there. As for the train, it will be approx 20 mins walk but adding bike storage options at the station would increase the attractiveness of the rail option as it would be barely 5 mins of a cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Not great to see the focus solely on the road network in the blurb but the train should be a decent option for workers based to the east and south of Athenry. From the west, too, it seems to be slightly quicker to get a bus to Eyre Square, and a train to Athenry, than to drive there.

Train is a fantastic option for those east/ west of Athenry. 20 minutes from Eyre Square is a no brainer, especially if more platforms are added in between. Local bus service from station to site for those who can't walk.

More and more car owners are going hybrid or full electric for those outside the public transport links. It's easy access from the motorway to the site unless the planners make a complete hash of it.

As greenfield sites go, it couldn't get a better start.

What public transport is available to people travelling to Athenry from South Mayo ... Roscommon, Westmeath and towards Tipperary, Limerick and Ennis?

fyi, Farrells attempted to start a bus service between Athenry and Limerick last year - it didn't last a week.

People on product-builder wages are not going to pay train fares to travel from Eyre Square to Athenry, when they can pay bus fares to get to the many existing manufacturing plants in Galway, which are well served (and going to get better).

This is a project which specifically depends on private cars. It's not a good fit with a move to sustainable transport.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel there in terms of arguing the point, most of the locations you listed have rail options

Maybe you should have picked Leitrim, Kerry and Antrim?

Either way my point stands that there are PT options. Could they be improved, absolutely, but you can say that about any PT option in the country.

Will every worker use PT, nope, but neither will every worker drive.

For someone with a PT focused website you have a bizarre attitude to the use of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think you are right - unless there was a severe restriction on the amount of car parking that DEXCOM can provide on the site?

IDA don't have any form, at all on this judging by what they have done in Parkmore or other locations in Galway. Doubt County Council will rock the boat either.

They can't keep building factories in larger population areas. They have to spread out to smaller towns to facilitate people in those areas. There's a train and bus service to the town. They've a 2-3 years to upgrade existing services to meet demand so people don't have to use private vehicles if they don't want to. Great opportunity to build a more sustainable model.

By the way. My daughter uses the Athenry train every working day. Finds it excellent. And worth the price. Cheaper than running a car and paying for parking.

I listed the options that are stated in the original article as having excellent ROAD links to Athenry. Did you even read that article?

This is not a bad project. (Although there are not 1000 jobless people in Athenry - it's not about providing local employment.)

But it is bizarre to see an active-travel evangelist so much in favour of it, when its is clearly designed around private car use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Does every thread in Galway City and County have to descend to bikes and busses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It is also a bit odd as it assumes the people working there will be living in Galway City or somewhere between there and Athenry that is on the rail line. I guess people from North Galway or South Galway need not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

South Galway has a rail line as well for over 10 years now? Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

If you'd actually read the thread before posting you'd see that you've got the wrong end of the stick completely, and that there has been discussion about workers potentially coming from north and south Galway, and also from neighbouring counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭crusd

That is excellent. That building is in a great location and many of the streets around it have improved their facades, but this was an eyesore. And a short walk from the train station.

I think the person in charge may have previously setup Zimmer in Oranmore. Dont know them, but my understanding would have been that the issues in Zimmer were more down to corporate culture than any individual but may be wrong

Would possibly be easier to get to this site using PT than Ballybrit for someone living on the West of Galway city, and definitely for people in Oranmore, Ballinasloe among others

Hard to image what's easier than getting on the 405 bus in Rahoon and getting off in Ballybrit.

But that really is irrelevant. The PR had made it very clear how this site has been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dasdenny

I believe that there is some truth in it. I've heard it from people who have had direct experience from inside Zimmer Biomet that there are a number of known incompetent people who are being eyed up or have already jumped ship to Dexcom after following others into Dexcom this was after being let go from Zimmer Biomet in the last year or so. I hope it's not as bad as it was described to me as Athenry would suit me for one. What I've heard from many separate people does not bode well for this new venture at all. I guess only time will tell.

Whats easier than hopping on a train that will get you 5 minutes walk from your work at the same time every day rather than sitting on a bus who's time may vary by as much as 15 or 20 minutes depending on traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Kinvara, Ballindereen and other parts of south Galway that currently have a bus service they can't always use from May-September as it fills up with tourists going to the Cliffs of Moher. Parts of North Galway rely mostly on Burkes bus to supliment the Castlebar and Cong service which have also been filling up before they get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In terms of bus links, do any BE busses pass through Athenry?

I don't think so?

Advertisement