Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify this old Fuse/Device?

• 16-05-2023 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have this in an old fuse board, located inside, house from 1950s. It appears to be wired right after large 63A Diazed bottle fuse, which seems to be fed from ESB main fuse.

This device trips sometimes, nothing else trips/breaks at the same time, just this one. The last time it tripped it was raining and there were construction works outside in the street. At that time there was no loads, no EV charging, to kettle, no washing, entire house load was between 600-800W.

Also, what would be the modern equivalent for this device? I'm thinking to get someone to replace this device along with that 63A Diazed bottle fuse.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭mikewest

Old voelcb (voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker) possibly as it looks like it has a test button. Is the earth wired through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 schriss

I only see Line coming in from main Diazed fuse on the left into the bottom connector marked as 12 and coming out from top connector marked as 12 and then there is Neutral coming in at the bottom N Mp and out of top N Mp. I'm not seeing any more wires coming in or out of it. I pressed the T button and it tripped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horseman34

Is that mcb on the top row OK? It looks under pressure from the bent busbar to accommodate the larger mcb/rcd to its right

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Back Home

flux capacitor?

Not seeing any issues there, it's quite spacy in there actually, apart from the rats nest of cables under and around.

I tried googling for Images of old fuse boards, but never was able to find anything even remotely similar looking to that "thing" with a lever. It sits between main fuse and the rest of the board. Only Live and Neutral seem to pass through it. Could it be some kind of RCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s an rcd

theres some evidence of burnt cables at the bottom and top

of the main fuse

is that board in a kitchen.

I think you should replace the full board and probably upgrade the mains/earthing if it hasn’t already been done

it looks like you have both an electric shower and car charger

Burnt cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭JL spark

So RCD it is, thank you.

Yes, shower and car charger, mains comes in through the fuses, through that rcd, into the load balancer.

And yes, the entire board would best to be replaced.

Advertisement