Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend 2-3 hour road route starting from Cork city or Ballincollig

Options
  • 16-05-2023 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm from Cork (Bishopstown), been living in Galway for past 20 years. I'm down for a few days and would like a 2-3 hours spin (about 25-28 kmph). I'll be based near UCC, but could also have strarting point near Ballincollig.

Would like a scenic route, not too busy traffic (will be about 4 or 5pm) don't mind the odd climb. Was thinking Ballincollig- Anglers Rest- climb to Kerry Pike at Healys Bridge- Blarney and back towards Ballincolling (not sure what route back). Only thinking this as I drive it and looks nice, challenging climb, nice long downhill to Blarney.

Any other suggestions please? Happy to head in any direction.

Cheers.

Post edited by dinneenp on

Comments

Loads of options. All of these are leaving from Bishopstown but most are via Ballincollig. All are lovely, scenic routes.

Mishells/Crookstown/Aherla (Moderate): https://www.strava.com/activities/8903519040

Lee Valley (Easy): https://www.strava.com/activities/8817123889

Mushera and the Butter Road (Hard): https://www.strava.com/activities/8940893447

You'll find loads of other routes on my Strava if you have a nose through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Try https://cycle.travel maybe? Pick a circular route and play with the distance. I've had some pleasant surprises using this in the past, and it'll generally avoid anything busy unless there's no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks, hadn't heard of that site before. Just made up a nice route from Glanmire (will be staying there a few nights) out to Cobh, lap of the island, ferry across, carrigaline, along to coast to Kinsale and then back through Cork and back to Glanmire.

I'm looking at 115km, so over 4 hours (not 2-3 like I originally said), which is ok cos I have a full Sunday now in Cork.

What's the nicest route from Kinsale to Cork please?

Post edited by dinneenp on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

What are you hoping to do? Cycle touring or faster training spins? If you're staying in Glanmire just go East, North or Northwest. Loads of great spins to be had. Kinsale is more a place to avoid on the bike as far as I'm concerned. Carrigaline is similar.

If you're determined to do Kinsale your route from Glanmire to the city is a bad start, use the N8 to Tivoli instead. You've done well to avoid Airport hill and R600. For the nicest cycle from Kinsale towards Cork, go through Ballyfeard, Raffeen and Passage. It's not as scenic but it has good quality surface and safe. Nohoval and Roberts Cove can be scenic especially if you're looking for lots of photos and stuff, so if you want scenery then what you've done is right.

I suggest, from Glanmire consider:

1. Whitegate Ballycotton
    2. Ballycotton Youghal
    3. Dungourney Tallow
    4. Lismore Fermoy
    5. Youghal Tallow Rathcormac
    6. Rathcormac Ballyhooly Glenville
    7. Ballyhooly Killavullen
    8. Glenville Killavullen Mallow

I think you get the general gist: TLDR: Crossing the city on a bike is a balls and Kinsale is lovely...when you're in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"If you're staying in Glanmire just go East, North or Northwest"

What he said; to get from Glanmire to Kinsale you have to cross the city, Lee and get to and cross the Owenboy. More hassle than its worth.

This would be way nicer; you'll need to be able to navigate and like back roads and hills but you'll know a bit about the Bride and Blackwater valleys when you get home

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42950685

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for the reply? What's my aim? Starting out it'll be a scenic long ride but, as often, descends (or ascends) to a workout/pushing it.

From your list, which 2 routes would you recommend most?

I've no strong want to go to Cobh & Kinsale...they're just nostalgic routes for me...

I'd suggest head towards Midleton (via Ballintubber) and go to East Ferry, Cloyne, Shanagarry, Garryvoe (beach), Ladysbridge and head immediately West from Ladysbridge back to Midleton (eurovelo route 1) and back via Ballintubber again.

Cobh itself is very scenic, but Fota road is busy with no hard shoulders. The surface is good and motorists are reasonably patient but you will likely have cars queuing behind you most of the way. If you are willing to suffer that, then a 50kmh round-the-harbour spin on mostly greenways is an option, but again the problem is returning East from the city. A busy 100kmh two-lane dual carriageway with no hard shoulders. So East Ferry and Shanagarry would be my recommendation instead of that.

You can get to the Nagles mountains if that's something you'd be after. North to Watergrasshill, Glenville, Ballyhooly, Rathcormac. Wide smooth roads all to yourself, and great views. But the East Ferry Shanagarry route is basically flat and fairly pleasant and scenic.

So on Sunday I cycled to Great island, did most of the circumference of the island (some hills), ferry to Passage West and greenway/cycle path into town. I really enjoyed the route, Great island was very quiet & scenic and the greenway back to town wasn't too busy. 58km in total.

I've mapped the Midleton route, might head out that direction this evening- thanks.

If you liked that, you'll probably enjoy around East Ferry etc and you'd probably be fine to do an out-and-back to Crosshaven/Myrtleville/Fountainstown etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Agree with comments about crossing the city being a bit of a pain. But if you do venture to Kinsale the coast road to Timoleague is really nice atm. They have resurfaced more than 90% of it and it’s at that lovely smooth tarmac phase before they chip & tar it. At least it was last weekend.

• Advertisement

Was on it two weeks ago and was in good shape. Lovely surface to ride on. My previous spin on that road was not great!

Advertisement