Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd party WiFi extender for Vodafone fibre Gigabox

Options
  • 16-05-2023 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi,

I know about the super wifi they offfer for 5euro per momth but was thinking of getting a device that can be used in the future, even if I switch from Vodafone.

I Have rj45 cable going to the shed at the back garden where WiFi is needed so can plug it amyway.

Did anyone use a 3rd party extender with the gigabox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As you already have CAT cable down in the shed, just get dedicated AP (access point) or some "router". If "router" used, you will have to set it on static IP in same range as main network in "AP mode"(if supported) or manually configure to disable DHCP, NAT, firewall. WiFi part can be same as main or independent SSID/pass , just keep channel different from main or "auto"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Don't have a vodafone box but I use a DLink wifi extender that I use in a room that does not have a network point in it for hooking up a device that is not wifi capable. Extender has a single RJ45 port on it, so device connected to that, extender set to bridge mode and it connects to my internet router.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭tandcapply

@smuggler.ie Yes, I already have a TPlink archer router in the shed, which broadcasts its own SSID on a different channel.

The main reason why I want the same wifi network across the board, is to be able to move from house to shed while on teams call etc or even sit in garden without changing networks and losing connection on laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

You don't need to buy anything new, you can reconfigure what you have.

If you have the connection from the house going into the WAN port on the TP-Link, disable DHCP on the TP-Link and move the WAN cable to one of its LAN ports. Then change the SSID, encryption type and key to match that of the Vodafone router (but keep them on separate channels). That should be enough.

@Glaceon thanks, I'll try this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Handover between different makes of router may be erratic (clients often tend to stick to current AP even if signal is weak). However given you already have the equipment it makes sense to try out that approach first.

If that doesn’t provide the desired outcome you could try a 2/3 unit mesh system, ideally one that can use Ethernet backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As mentioned above, handover might not be as smooth as you would wish - different devices serving WiFi, despite same SSID, they don't communicate to each other.

All transition would rely on client(phone, laptop) here, that effectively disconnect from one and connect to another. Teams/zoom usually pick up and reconnect session, but might have delay/distortion.

If you would have independent system for WiFi (Unifi, Aruba, other mesh kit) it would work better...

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

I'll try the same ssid approach and independent mesh was always last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

No harm in trying. 😊

3rd party archer seems to work ok thus far.

Same ssid&password as Vodafone's gigabox.

When adding 2.4 only supported smart devices to the network for the first time, I just disabled the 5ghz while adding in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement