Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 toll fine. I was out of the country.

Options
  • 16-05-2023 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I have a car that is parked outside my parents house. I live abroad, and having come home recently I found a stack of letters from the eFlow telling me about the car being used and failing to pay the toll fee, the next letter has another warning and fine and so on. I think the total is around €300 now. Obviously I didn’t see the letters as they arrived to my parents house and they never opened the letters because they were addressed to me. There’s photo evidence of the car, and it’s my car alright but I was out of the country. One of my family must have driven it. What legal grounds do I have to dispute this?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Find out who was driving your car, send them the bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Unless you can get the family member to own up and pay, it's on you. Your car, your responsibility and you enabled somebody to drive it through the tolls. If taken without permission you could report it as a theft but it's a bit late for that now,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Are you certain that it was your car and not one using your number ?

If it definitely was your car you owe the money and better pay it asap.

Also you need to have strong words with the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Thanks everyone, my Dad would have driven it on the day, he’s almost 80 and from looking at text messages at the time his own car was getting fixed and two close friends had passed away so quite possibly he was driving to a funeral, he rarely drives so I can forgive him for forgetting I think. So the consensus is this is completely unavoidable. I have to pay, I’m still responsible? Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it. And yeah the photo only has the bonnet and reg and it all looks the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ring them and explain it, offer to send your flight details, chances are they'll give you a good will gesture of some sort.

• Advertisement

Funny to add I actually was getting text messages at one point about having to pay the toll. Months ago. Because I wasn’t in the country I assumed it was a scam. I never click links in text messsges like that. But I actually sent my parents a warning at the time to be careful of scam messages from pretending to be eFlow 🤦🏻‍♂️

Can I appeal based on the fact that I never got the letters? I’ll give them a ring first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sorry but it's not their fault you didn't get the letters because you were abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

The letters were delivered to your registered address, dont see how Eflow were to know you were not at home,. Give them a ring there is a good chance they will let you pay off the original fee and not the fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You chose to leave your keys with someone who failed to take account of their responsibilities to pay tolls. (Were they even insured to drive the car?).

You failed to make arrangements for dealing with your mail while away, and you think that's the mail-senders problem.

Really???

• Advertisement

I understand that, I’m not blaming them for anything I’m just explaining why it wasn’t paid. Not everything is black and white, would be nice if they have space to see that but I can imagine it won’t be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Ring them. They are very easy to deal with, my daughter had run up over €120 in fines etc and was avoiding facing up to it. She called them and got 70% written off the arrears. If you explain you being away . . . .your Dads age and the funerals I'd say you will get a deal. Try it.

Jesus, this is escalating, I’m not blaming anyone. It’s an unfortunate situation, which in a pleasant world might be responded with some type of understanding.

Thanks, I’ll call and I’m definitely open to paying some type of fine, meet half way but €300 on a €6 fee is a bit much. That said I will if I have to. Just hoping there might be some level of understanding. Thanks everyone.

Thanks I appreciate that, will call first thing and let everyone know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Be nice on the phone, explain the situation and plenty mea culpa (as opposed to blaming others) and you'll probably get a reduction. Nothing ventured nothing gained with something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why does that matter in relation to the question asked?

Just ring them, they must be one of the best companies to deal with if you engage with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Before I got the tag, I used to often forget to pay and then had to pay 12 euro (dbl fee). But when I forgot that another time and it racked up, I phoned them, they are very easy to deal with, and they put it back down to 6 euro.

Explain about your dad’s age and funerals etc. and I’m sure you’ll get a sympathetic ear - dont offer to pay half, see what they offer first. If you’ve never done it before, or your dad, they might drop it right down to a normal fee.

On an aside, there is a scam link for e flow, so don’t click on it. But if you are away often, then you need a more efficient way of dealing with your post. Either get email, kinder to the environment or get mum/dad/sibling to open the mail and let you know if its urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

This happened to me a few years ago but I was out of the country with my car that supposedly drove through the toll roads twice. Once when I was out of the country and once on the day I came home but I was nowhere near the toll road. Total nightmare trying to get it sorted out. Would have been easier just to pay the toll.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone with them, explained the situation and the gentleman I was talking to was incredibly helpful and understanding. Dropped the last two fines from the total, so went from €300 down to the original initial fine of €13. Can’t argue with that. Thanks for all the comments on this. Seems great advice to always call. Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even the RSA don't care about that. I was caught speeding on my brother's motorbike years ago and all they cared about was the fine getting paid as they never asked was I licenced to ride the bike or insured, I was both.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ring them; offer to open a video account (no fees) so it doesn’t happen again and I suspect you will get a good hearing based on what people have posted here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

The level of fines is geared towards people who just don't want to pay. If you call and explain the situation and accept that you are responsible for the unpaid tolls - you have a very good chance of not having to pay the full value of the fines. If you dig your heels in and refuse to accept responsibility eflow will use the full extent of their processes to enforce payment and the next level of fines. If you take notice of the new recently there have been some mental fines dished out by the courts for some people who just refuse to engage.

Advertisement