Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 23-24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭luke9311

between losing him and courtney going to oz last season, they will be at a big loss in the centre. jones was a handy player though always unfortunate when a player receives news like that

by the way.... anyone in here know if ronan quinn the trinity winger still playing with them for the season coming up or has he moved on? if so where to? hes a handy player if you give him the ball an open space

• Registered Users Posts: 9 youvebeenrumbled

Quinny has gone to London for work. Big loss for us! Our attack was sharp vs Wesley. I hear James Nicholson who joined the Connacht Academy, has signed for Lansdowne. Huge signing if true! He was very good in the World Championships. My son is a youths player in Lansdowne, saw him down there at 1sts training.

yeah was thinking hes been with trin now for guts of 4-5 seasons so was thinking hes there or there abouts graduating from hes degree like so was thinking he must be on the move soon. hes one of them players i felt hes very good if u use him well i.e. get the ball out to him asap in acres of space and he craves it up... very similar to max mcfarland a number of years ago with tarf and trin. Thats an intresting move if it is true... cant say i heard anything myself of him other than the connacht move but somewhat surpised he didnt pick a club out west. players that go out that way usually end up playing with buccs or corinthians like mark boyle did when on connacht trial and stayed out there playing with them. Oisin dowling and senior players in connacht from with lansdowne links from what i remember im not sure if there till tied to them or not tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Pretty sure Peter Sullivan stayed with Lansdowne while he was with Connacht. Guess there's only so much game time with Buccs and also players/Connacht academy coaches may believe playing at a higher level is worth the travel.

• Advertisement

he did yeah, as did greg mcgrath... unsure about the rest tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Even in past with some connacht clubs in 1A/1B theyve kept some players playing AIL with dublin clubs if they joined Connacht from Dublin AIL clubs. Conor McKeon, with Lansdowne, and good few other academy players have for a season or two kept playing with clubs in other provinces. Makes sense when you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ljsulster

Interesting to see how Queens do this year, lost a lot of experience but brought in a lot of the Ulster academy and NTS players

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

I suppose only 1 Connacht club in the top three divisions means you can't send every academy player to Bucs as they won't all play

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Yeah Im pretty sure that if you are in the Connacht Academy, you have to play for a Connacht Club - certainly over the past two/three seasons.

It is different for Peter Sullivan, or was, as a full pro can't play below Division 1 - but all academy lads can. He will have to join one of the Connacht sides, 100%

• Advertisement

It is to do with the Pro Player rule- they got an exemption for Sam Illo when Buccs were in 2A, as we spoke to him and also for Shayne Bolton for Galwegians as he had played so few games. But pro player can only play in Div 1A/1B - so if a lad needs games from Connacht - say an Oisin Dowling - well he could go back to Tarf.

Mark Boyle was on a Development Contract - so could play in 2B

i know that but there has still occasionally been academy players over the years having played with clubs elsewhere

They have but when Eric Elwood took over I think he put a stop to it. Pretty sure they won't let it happen anymore - but wait and see what happens with James Nicholson albeit wasn't he with UCD last year, unless no longer in college, you'd assume he would stay with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Oliver Coffey has joined Blackrock in 1B, probably favourite to start 9 for the Irish 20s this season

• Registered Users Posts: 3 upandunder23

Shannon trained against Munster last night in Thomond Park, wasn't advertised but seemed they allowed selected members attend - pity!

It sounds like it could be a tough season for the Parish side, they've not replaced Coffee or Sean McCarthy and both would have been keys players. Also my understanding is the majority of the management team left over the summer so all must not be well in Coonagh! They've still not announced the new management team which is odd considering how good their social media coverage usually is.

Cookies garryowen tomorrow night, great to have rugby back!!

First group games in Munster senior cup being played tomorrow night and saturday

games tomorrow for clubs who wanted to move due to EP

Dolphin v Clonmel, Cashel v UCC, Garryowen v Young Munster

Saturday: Highfield v Cork Con, Shannon v Nenagh, Bohs v Bruff

Connacht League. both saturday

Buccs v Ballina, Galwegians v Sligo

yeah i wasnt 100% sure on the ins and outs of it myself.... i thought its once ur with a certain province u have to go to a club within there... could be different for senior contracted development vs academy players i guess or vice versa

So I’ve now heard James Nicholson won’t be with Lansdowne. Must be because of these regulations. It seems he’ll play for Corinthians. He was going to play for Galweigans but apparently was advised by some of his previous coaches not to. Didn’t get the full details, but it’s something to do with some past issue between them.

Pity he won’t be in 1A, was very good at the World Championships. I would have enjoyed seeing him in the league.

It makes sense for Connacht to be fair, if they take him in, train him and so on, they should want the Connacht clubs to get the benefit of it

ok game in Limerick tonight

Cookies beat Garryowen 15-5

Few signings i noticed without having seen team sheets. Garryowen Calvin Langan scrum half signed from Wegians but hes from Monivea

Cookies signed Mike Treacy from Roscrea RFC. he wasnt playing tonight

garryowen played last half hour with 14 after red to hooker for mistimed collision.

quite a few yellows as well through the game and def could have been a few more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Not too many issues. bit of leeway but players were going lower. some massive hits as well just like you would expect in a city derby game so those thinking they wont happen are just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Leinster results & fixtures

Navan 34 Skerries 19

Blackrock 33 Tullamore 18

Friday

UCD v Clontarf

Wanderers v Malahide (Off)

Saturday

Old Belvedere v Wesley

Greystones v Enniscorthy

ucd 12 clontarf 27

senior cup

Young Munster 15 Garryowen 5

Dolphin 29 Clonmel 27

cashel 13 ucc 5

Shannon 19 Nenagh 29

Bohs 22 Bruff 23

Highfield 20 Con 36

Premiership Division 1 Group A

Dungannon 31 Banbridge 15

Premiership Division 2

Instonians 77 Bangor 7

Old Belvedere 24 Old Wesley 21

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Craig Gilroy is playing with Bangor RFC in 2C.

always great to see lads like that retire from the pro game and go back to the club game instead of fully hanging up the boots.... probably draws in a few people too if they heard ex pros are playing with a nearby club team on a saturday, simular to o'brien last year with naas and mike ross or danny poolman with malahide few seasons back.... is that craigs club before he went pro do yeno or just a clubs hes decide to play with since he retired?

Gilroy is from Bangor and he has helped coach their 1XV before as well as playing with them when younger

Lansdowne play away to Clontarf on Thursday in the Leinster Senior Cup

• Advertisement

Saw a bit of pre-academy vs Old Wesley last night. Pre academy prop, not sure who he was, red-hair & large was very good. Smashed a Wesley player. Have heard we are doing great in USA. There was a big win over Ohio State, lots of positive performances.

Advertisement