Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vrt for north reg car

• 17-05-2023 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys. I would like to know if anyone can advise me. I was living in Dublin for a while but later on moved to the north for couple of years and had car in NI while working in Ireland and on maternity leave. I moved back to Ireland and would like to to register my north reg car in the Republic. I have the logbook on my name dated december 2020. I do not qualify for the vrt relief as its too much paperwork and i dont really have much and i dont mind paying the vrt. The question is that for vrt i neeed the evidence when car was brought into the state but how can i have one if there is no boarders. If anyone had the same situation and can share his experience.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

When you say no boarders do you mean the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland? The fact that there is no frontier post or customs between the two countries makes no difference.If,you are living in Republic you should notify the Revenue Commissioners - revenue.ie for info - here if you intend staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 natalyff

Thanks. im not driving the car in the Republic because i want to register it first. But just dont know all the details. How it is working if i cant prove the date the car was brought down south. Ive always had an adress in ireland as well because i have the pps number and i am working here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Have you got proof of purchase and the car's registration documents and current MOT if an older car?The date you imported the car could be the day you started a new job here or opened a bank account or got an address here.You have a limited time after arriving in the Republic to register your car here.Do not get caught driving you car here by the police or you could lose it.

Someone will come on Boards who has much more experience of what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I wonder would a toll receipt from the M1 be sufficient? It would certainly show that the car was in the Republic on that date anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 natalyff

Thanks. Thats a good point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement