Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan- disgusting homophobic attack on schoolboy

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

We have no idea what the context of the attack.

None whatsoever.

It suits different posters here and across SM to paint it in whichever way their agenda lies.

All this does is dilute the very disturbing fact that we are looking at indisputable evidence of one persons safety being of so little value to a bunch of his peers that they not only joined in in trying to very seriously injure him, if not kill him altogether, but they filmed it, in order to further humiliate him, and they uploaded the film to SM with no apparent concern that they would have to suffer any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Violence begets violence......some of the kids carrying out that attack and their families could be targeted

There are always repercussions to violence.....one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's a whole broader topic. Section 230 etc., all the jurisdictions step over each other, because it is the internet.

Similar relation, Twitter and Google were today not held liable by SCOTUS for 'abetting terrorism' because such posts wind up on their platform. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/18/gonzalez-v-google-twitter-section-230-supreme-court/

Ireland could at least bully Elon like he got bullied by the Turkish regime earlier in the week to follow their laws.

I do support this sites decision to keep it down wrt the wishes of the family and victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG what the hell is happening

I don't care the race, gender, age or reason, these savage culprits need to be named, shamed and fully punished

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A rape only equates to 12 months in prison,

And people om here want 10 years for this attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

The thread went off the rails after about the third post. Pretty predictable after that. The usual stuff from a certain cohort who don't seem to have any empathy for others, being countered by those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

Very good post when scumbags don,t fear any consequences for their actions it only emboldens them further.

I am a strong believer in corporal punishment for certain things randomly assaulting people as the video showed is one things I believe there should be corporal punishment for.

For anyone who saw the 70s film the midnight express there is one scene showing corporal punishment of youngsters.

If its one thing Id wish on those who were involved with the cowardly assault is for them to be beaten like in the end of this scene, I know someone will say " human rights " but what about the " human rights " of the young lad who was assaulted ? if there is a lack of spaces to incarcerate young scumbag there should be other options of punishment instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do gooders don't want any expulsions. They're not even in favour of any punishment as far as I can see.

They would prefer to see the attackers meet with the victim and apologise.

That's what the do gooders want. Their outrage over this crime is somewhat qualified.

It's a difficult one. I'm conflicted because my first instinct is it should be removed, but as someone else pointed out earlier, if it wasn't on social media, we wouldn't know about it at all, and it would just get brushed under the table as something that doesn't happen.

I'll have to think on it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The schoolyard was always a place for bullies to beat other kids up, it was ever so, the only reason everyone is oh-so shocked is because footage has been widely shared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think that's misleading, people are generally shocked at criminal violence. Having incontrovertible proof of it, though, makes it easier to commit in writing these expressions. Thin stories about crimes with little or less evidence for example, there's a lot more hedging and fence sitting involved, owing to deference for the presumption of innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

One on one is fair a go..

But a group of lads from out of town beating up a local is a beating.. it’s an attack..

Doing it when you have to live is the same town is dangerous..

Live by the sword.. die by the sword..

What has happened to society.??. Is the victim to blame for having pink hair.. ? He should have learned to defend him self if he was going to go around with pink hair.. because I sure as hell would know that I’d have to be ready for hardship if I had pink hair.. but as I said these animals were like a pack of wolves..

Have they no humanity or sense of fairness or tolerance.. evidently not.

Romantic Ireland is Dead and Gone.. It’s with O’Leary in the grave..

The country is fucked.. we’re going to be like the UK in 5 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I had commented on the assault earlier on in the thread and said that I didn’t condone it.

There was no need to write this again because I was replying to a specific post because I felt the assailants could well be labelled as “idiots”.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Have to agree there was plenty of kicking to the head in the 1980's and there were deaths from it Looking back I am surprised more were not killed.

I think this is slightly different given the young age and a lot of kids joined in. The boy took a lot of blows to the the head and the bearded boy in blue looked like he thought he was in an MMA fight. There was something unnatural about the whole thing. There was no understanding or respect for the level of violence being meted out. Maybe they thought they were playing a video game.

One boot to the head can cause death. It happened to young Willie Lennon under the railway bridge in Dundalk in the early '80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I honestly think Ireland is a failed state. The government letting thugs and social media companies off the hook all the time. The people who do the jobs that society needs can't afford to live here. Parents are acting like children instead of taking real responsibility for future generations. We said **** off to the church and replaced it with TikTok. We are craggy island with cash and McDonald's via Deliveroo. You could make some seriously funny episodes of Fr. Ted about current Irish society. Celtic Tiger Ireland was vulgar, but we've gone way beyond that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

for a town of its' size Navan does seem to have a particularly rough side to it. i visited the place on only a few occasions, and i can definitely say i dont think it'll ever be on anybody's bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Absolutely, sure we had Paedophile priests raping children in school our days and teachers that beat us too... The school was "always a place" for that sort of thing, bullying was rife. Perfectly normal, toughen up kids. You're just shocked because there's footage, I'm not shocked cause I'm a real man, empathy is for snowflakes.

*drinks whisky. Neat. slams down glass & stares at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any principal who would seek to do that is not fit to be a teacher never mind a principal, but a lot of schools have notions about their 'reputation'. We saw in Anabel's how the fine reputation of schools works out in practice.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're getting used to the idea of violence against kids being wrong 👍️

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We're reaping the rewards of an overly lenient criminal justice system.

There are no consequences for violence in our society, people can have multiple convictions for violent assault and walk the streets so it's no wonder teenagers are acting this way.

As for the fact that this kid was attacked for being gay, I'm actually astonished at the idea that such a thing could inspire such hatred in 2023 here in liberal Ireland.

Thinking back to my own time in school, a couple of lads I was friends with were gay and definitely got verbal abuse for it from the type of morons who do that type of thing but they were never set upon and violently assaulted like what happened in that video.

We need to as a society punish this type of behaviour as severely as possible but perhaps more importantly gain an understanding of why these young men are regressing to a place where assaulting a person because of their sexuality is acceptable.

Glazers Out!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've a lot of reports to work through

Thread closed

There is no guarantee it will be re-opened

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement