Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan- disgusting homophobic attack on schoolboy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Your not ashamed that you beat a person really. Didn't really learn from it? I supposed they deserved it

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

With regards to the school, it’s almost impossible to expel students these days. Like everything else it’s all paperwork and you hardly ever hear of an expulsion anymore. Best the school can hope for is to ask them to leave. Hopefully they’ll be treated with disgust by every one in there (and maybe get a taste of their own medicine)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

skinny? medical condition. Red faced? Colour. Big eared? Medical condition (macrotia its called). Different? Vague and useless terminology. Stutter, medical condition.

Okay look, I'm not going to engage with you further as you are arguing in bad faith.

Explaining how your whataboutisms are all actually protected characteristics, is arguing in bad faith? Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Is the person taking the video an adult? Seems to have a much deeper voice than the other lads.

If he is then he deserves a month or two in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

They did deserve it. I reflected on it later and still came to the same conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Are we imprisoning people for taking videos now?

For incitement. Isn't that them shouting in the video, come on boys etc. and when to let off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Preplanned , targeted, faux outrage from lad narrator. As it happened outside school and many hadn't identifiable crests best that will happen is a 3-5 day suspension sent to board for 1 or 2 for a shot across bow but board would lose section 29 if they tried to expel. Usual etb restorative justice bullying policy rolled out . Rince n repeat next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Just imagine how terrifying that must have been especially for someone so young. 5 6 lads punching the shite out of you on the ground while 50 people or more people watch and record, crawling while trying to protect your head to escape and a phone locked in capturing every moment. It got so out of hand he was most likely fearing for his life. I hope they’re expelled and get the book thrown at them.

I saw loads of fights at school but I never seen a pile on like that. Total scum who think they’re hard, they deserve all they get and they’ll meet someone someday who’ll beat the living shite out of them if they don’t change their bullying ways.

Yeah I agree. Seen a lot of fights in school but never violent assault like this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm not,

But this is exactly what will happen,it will be forgotten about in a few days until the next video of another incident goes viral and rinse and repeat,

Nobody is going to prison,no will likely get charged,

At minimum a school suspension and at most an expulsion and life will go on

I've seen fights in school, nothing like that video. Perhaps because it wasn't a fight, it was a gang up - and borderline attempted murder.

How anyone can describe it as "normal" is beyond the pale, and we've seen more than symptoms of that peppered throughout the course of this thread.

Abject minimization.

You were though. You were calling this bullying and fighting and suggesting it's normal.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The boys family have confirmed his injuries and that it happened across the road from a family members house

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/05/17/he-is-only-a-child-family-of-boy-assaulted-in-navan-co-meath-describe-incident-as-horrific-and-wrong/

The teenager suffered concussion, broken teeth, extensive bruising in the attack which left him with a shoe print on his forehead.

That level of force is indeed not "normal" and criminal prosecution is in proper order.

This happens daily across the country this is normal, this is kids who get bullied in school every days normal until they change schools or manage to sit there leaving cert and escape to college, it'll be swept under the rug, like the tens of thousands of case's year in and year out,

Its doesn't matter if they are different color, foreign, long hair,no hair, blue hair,pink hair nothing changes,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is very true of school for me in the 80's. But, we always had a one on one. If there was a crowd, we all controlled it to keep everyone else out of it. Egged on yes but never join in. That was genuinely frowned upon as cowardly. The local pickeys liked to do that. Mass brawl was a load of lads Vs another load of lads but never a big group on one person. Kicking to the head was an absolute no. I don't remember rules set for that, just common sense I suppose. Hell even the country lads with their hurls put them down for a fight.

That video is sucker punches when the lad is walking away and then everyone joining in for a go with one psycho doing his best to do maximum damage. All kinds of wrong. Highly unlikely to get charges of any sort against them other than a stern talking to. The damaged lad is unlikely to return to that school so his education gets wreaked for their fun.

• Advertisement

This happens daily across the country this is normal

The bullying around the country is normal sure, the amount of force here isn't.

Nonsense. Kids are not subjected to that level of violence and hospitalised as a result on a daily basis. This was a particularly violent attack.

Terry Pratchet

Do you accept that, even if this were the case as regular through the country, that it wouldn't - and shouldn't - be classified as "normal"?

What you seem to be saying is that, "Well it's regular, and the very nature of its regularity means we shouldn't do anything about it, nor even consider it. Let's shrug our shoulders".

What's funny is that if you were the victim of this crime, I think you'd have a very - very - different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Nobody in my school ever got their teeth knocked out. This is not normal. Nothing near that is normal.

A few digs would be normal. That's quite clearly an assault.

In fairness, he actually went further than that. He also said:

“It was horrifying really, and I think everyone would condemn it utterly,” he said.

And he had a personal message for the teenage victim: “I really want to send my solidarity out to the person who was harmed and injured in this way.

“I would say to them that life does get better. It is very sad that people experience violence and bullying in school, but life does get better and I’d say not to give up.”

The Taoiseach added, however: “I understand there is a garda investigation underway and that the victim has been treated for their injuries.

“I would first of all, really ask anyone who has information to cooperate with the garda investigation.”

“And also I would really just say how sad I am that in this day and age we still see this kind of bullying and violence happening in our schools,” Mr Varadkar said.

“You’d hope that as time moves on, particularly with young people today being so progressive and so clued-in as to the world around them, that this wouldn't happen - but it still does, and I just really, really feel sorry for the young person who was attacked, and for their family.”

Fair play to the couple of lads that stepped in and put an end to it.

And that doesn't take into account the psychological trauma, which will probably last years longer than any physical injuries.

Poor kid. I hope every one of the attackers are expelled and charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a pretty limp non committal statement in fairness, considering what happened.

the attack was an outrage.… and if I was the victim and relying on ‘solidarity’ from Leo, his phrasing above wouldn’t give me a great deal of comfort ..an appallingly poor leader, obviously said with the perpetrators and families in mind too, very half arsed…completely ill judged as usual in these situations

his usage of the word ‘harmed’… 😵‍💫…. Get the pineapple out of your mouth Leo… it was a vicious, rabid attack, a serious assault … call it for what it is…jog on ….with your ‘harmed’…🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not necessarily. Some people deserve a beating. The kids in this video are examples of same. They wouldn't be as quick to dole it out if they were the recipient of same. There are people out there who only know the rod, and anything else has no effect on them.

School stuff aside, this is being investigated by AGS as an assault, most likely Assault Causing Harm, and depending on outstanding issues/injuries as a result, potentially Assault Causing Serious Harm. I can't see this being swept anywhere, there's far too much evidence. There will be a trial. This is a criminal matter.

As a victim of constant bullying, I have been in plenty of fights. As someone said above, it was 1v1 surrounded by a ring of other students ensuring no interfering or foul play (kicking on the ground, other people getting involved, etc). It was usually quick and over after a few digs. It was never "serious" insofar as the most you'd come out with is a black eye or a cut lip/bloody nose. It stopped when it was obvious who "won". What happened here was just straight up assault.

Can someone let me know what category being picked on for being ginger would fall into for the hate crime legislation, I'd love to know. I'll continue to assume it doesn't, so it's a lower form of hate, as usual.

• Advertisement

It absolutely shouldn't be considered normal but unfortunately it is , just because it's not seen in a viral video, doesn't mean it's not happening,well it is and I've seen worse violence than this , when I was in school one lad was beaten to a pulp and knocked unconscious not just once but multiple times, until his parents pulled him out of school,

Tell me what are you going to do about this video and anyone else commenting on this thread, we're going to do nothing nobody on this thread is going to do anything nor will anyone on this thread change anything, with bullying in schools nothing will change, the victim will still be a victim in a months time ,a years time and nobody on here will give them a second thought , just like they don't give a second thought to anyone else who gets bullied,

We all have stories to tell , we've all seen at least on child in school get bullied or given a kicking,

What did anyone do ???

Has anything changed wether you went to school here in the 80s,90s,00s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement