Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan- disgusting homophobic attack on schoolboy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

This nasty and cruel assault deserves far more than expulsion from school. There are a few guys in that video who should be doing prison time for their part in the beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The attack looked completely unprovoked. It escalated from seemingly nothing to five thugs / scumbags beating the hell out of a young fella within seconds - a young lad clearly trying to get away from them the moment he realised where this was heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Several’s a convenient word isn’t it rk, sounds like seven.

-with not quite the pounding the majority pummellers doled out but “ohhh my days yo” what of the documentarian if it weren’t for their own curiously keen sense of anticipation for such bordering on feckin telepathy sure we’d be none the wiser to this sort of thing…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely sickening homophobic assault that has left this boy in a serious condition. The scumbags who perpetrated this hate-fueled violence must be brought to justice fully.

If that means prison time, then so be it. Homophobia and racism are both alarmingly on the rise here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Why does pink hair, or skin colour, or ethnicity, or religious background make any investigation or justice 'tricky' as you claim?

You seem to be arguing that despite recorded footage of a serious assault, crowds of witnesses, and the evidence of the injuries inflicted, someone will say the word 'racism' or 'pink hair' and all accusations and investigations by authorities will evaporate.

Have you any previous examples of when this has happened under similar circumstances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Look at Rochdale in the UK for a pretty egregious example of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

If it ever goes to court, which it probably won't, the old tough background/childhood, and the is making big attempts to change their ways excuses will be trotted out and little will be done...money given to the victim and no criminal record for those involved to ensure their future prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn’t watch the video. Absolute sickening to think that poor child suffered this. We need serious repercussions for this absolute vile behaviour.

Strong message needs to be sent that society cannot allow this very dangerous behaviour to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Horrific attack. Unfortunately, nothing much likely to happen as they are underage. Make you wonder what's happening and not being captured on video.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's not normal

Kids do not end up in hospital with serious facial injuries on a daily basis.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

That’s not what I’m arguing. I’m not arguing anything in fact. You only have to look on this thread to see that, for some posters, based purely on the fact that the victim has pink hair, that the attack was homophobic.

For other posters the fact that some of the attackers are non white means that the attack is based on religious prejudice.

For other posters the fact that the ethnicity of the attackers is even being mentioned means that there’s going to be racism involved in the investigation.

This will be an issue for the investigators. It doesn’t matter what conclusion is reached in the investigating of this incident. Some people are going to cry “homophobia/transphobia” and/or others will cry “racism”.

It’s just the way the world is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Full swing kicks to the head of someone trying to get up is a different level of aggressive violence.

The lad who stepped in to defend him more than likely saved his life, an absolute hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yes it is , because it's not being reported as a potential homophobic attack , every day in every school across the country kids are anxious about going to school because they know they are going to get a kicking at some point during the day,and then when they get home and hide in there bedrooms they will be waiting for the messages , Snapchats , Whatsapp,insta reminding them what's going to happen tomorrow,

If this wasn't labelled as homophobic would we be talking about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

And if any subsequent attempt at prosecution had to be abandoned because the Taoiseach of the day was deemed to have prejudiced the proceedings by his pronouncements then what would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Convenient. Completely kills any chance the school has of expelling the students if true but convenient.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I think what Gatling is trying to say that while this level of violence isnt normal its still going on outside every school, every single day and just because it doesnt get the media attention doesnt mean its not happening.

Ive seen this happening during the school year - gangs of youths fighting on their way home from school. Only recently there was a similar incident where one student was beaten to a pulp by 4 lads - that didnt get any media attention but was as violent as this attack.

Personally both my daughters have been bullied by groups of similar aged youths. Schools didnt give 2 **** about it. Sit the kids around and sing Kumbaya while discussing what they did.

What gets me is that the whole bullying thing has changed. When we were growing up you didnt hit a girl, you didnt kick someone in the head when they were down , the fight finished once someone hit the ground, it was always one on one - now theres this level of violence thats sickening among teens.

The other thing Ive noticed is that the reason for the bullying hasnt changed in 40 years - if you are even slightly different than whats considered the "norm" you are a target - it doesnt matter in what way you are different but as long as you dont conform you are a target.

This is especially difficult now with social media and what the current trends are. If I was in my teens now Id probably be beaten black and blue every single day - I was still bullied but nothing like this (And I got my revenge - a different thread though) I had long hair down to my waist - sometimes it was dyed purple, I used to go out in a Kilt - the bullies had a field day with me back then.

But I do know one thing - if that was my son in hospital with broken teeth and a concussion those fuckers wouldnt be walking around today. Id be the one arrested.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I cant thank this post enough.You are 100% on the social media thing. At least in our day it stopped at 3.00pm or whatever. Now its 24 hour bullying. No wonder the counsellors are booked out for months for teen counselling - that **** would mess with anyones mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A child was set upon and severely beaten. He had to be hospitalised and was left with with concussion, broken teeth and a shoe print on his forehead.

No. Its not normal. It doesn't happen everyday.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But I do know one thing - if that was my son in hospital with broken teeth and a concussion those fuckers wouldnt be walking around today. Id be the one arrested.

Frequent commentary after an event like this but it rarely happens.

The reality is the family are more than likely traumatised too, additional victims. Even more so since the punishment beating has gone viral.

Justice if and when it does come could be a 1 year plus from now, maybe even longer.

The trauma could last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ginger and Paddy are the last two I can think of that remain widely used and worse still, accepted.

Use the words **** (N word which is automatically redacted on boards yet paki, paddy and ginger are not) or Paki you’ll lose your job and be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

sorry to come across as naïve, but i haven't watched the attack (and have no intention of so doing), but do you mean expulsion from school or ....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The best thing that kid’s parents could do right now is persuade him to take up martial arts , teachers can’t be depended on to protect students, he might not always come out on top but it would be good for his self esteem

teachers can’t be depended on to protect students

Teachers are educators not full time body guards, this happened in a green area not on school grounds.

As for learning martial arts like this is a plot in the Karate Kid Movie, probably next to useless when a vicious violent mob attacks you. Unless of course you are Chuck Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The anger over this seems to be growing.

Which is good to see.

People want action though.

actually i disagree. the teenage brain is not the same as an adult brain. certain parts have not fully developed. in particular the prefrontal cortex, is one of the last parts to mature. This area is responsible for skills like controlling impulsive behaviour, planning, prioritizing, and making good decisions. Some psychologists actually believe the human brain does not fully develop until your mid 30s!

That said I AM NOT CONDONING this disgusting assault. as a youth i witnessed a particularly violent and proplonged assault by one young lad on another defenceless lad. the victim was totally humiliated and badly injured. the perpetrator was new to the area, and eager to "big" himself up to the local kids. i was repulsed and still am by that attack. the perpetrator is now a Maths teacher, and quite possibly a constructive member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Cowardly cunce, only way to describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yep. That child could have lost his life due to the scum who assaulted him. I think sometimes people forget that even an innocuous looking kick or punch can be fatal. This attack was violent intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've just watched the video. Unless we're to assume everyone with pink hair is gay, there's nothing to suggest it's homophobic.

We don't know what was said between the two before the first punch was thrown, or what lead to that confrontation to begin with.

From what people were saying, I expected a lot worse. A few punches, and kicks while mostly covered up. I've seen a lot worse when I was a teenager.

Any beatings like this I've seen have always been in retaliation for something else. Justified or not.

very likely they will be seen as "hard-men". they will be feared and alas gain some kind of twisted respect from other weaker kids who think being tough is cool. meeting out more violence on them (however attractive that may seem) is hardly likely to reduce the level of violence in society. that is not a solution. just a race to the bottom.

• Advertisement

Some psychologists actually believe the human brain does not fully develop until your mid 30s.

That's my whole point to begin with.

We need to treat teenagers as people with full awareness and agency of their actions and behaviour in exactly the same way we would, say, if someone was 18 or 21 or 23-years old. Many adults in their 40s, 50s, and 60s also struggle with controlling impulsive behaviour, planning, making good decisions and so forth, but we treat them as conscious agents irrespective of these personal flaws.

This blanket immunisation of teenagers, who can effectively escape just punishment for their crimes, is quite simply wrong.

That footage says everything we need to know. If they were under the influence of drugs, you'd have a point. But from that footage alone, it seems it was a conscious attack on someone they just didn't like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement