Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan- disgusting homophobic attack on schoolboy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

can you blame them? can you imagine the loony comments/posts/threats they would be receiving from various agenda-driven individuals?

you are missing the point. the teenage brain is DISTINCTLY different from the adult brain. late developers are not the norm.

Why does that matter?

They still have agency over their actions and are fully aware of what they are doing.

They are not passive robots, controlled by some ghost in their brain.

They know full well what they're doing, and they should be punished accordingly. Not a slap on the wrist, but jail time (at least) equal in length to that of an adult.

They have probably engaged in this behaviour in the past and got away with it. And unpunished bad behaviour tends to repeat itself.

What's needed is a more active deterrence that says to young people, "...look if you do this, look what's happened to your friends".

Many adults in their 40s, 50s, and 60s also struggle with controlling impulsive behaviour, planning, making good decisions and so forth, but we treat them as conscious agents irrespective of these personal flaws.

some defence lawyers in the States have tried (and thankfully imo, failed) to argue that point.

should teens be treated less harshly because their brain has not yet fully developed?

should serial killers be embraced because they suffer decreased connectivity between their amygdala and their prefrontal cortex?

can a 50 year old murderer who goes on a killing spree while suffering a brain tumor expect a lesser punishment, on the grounds that his brain was not working correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

From what people were saying, I expected a lot worse. A few punches, and kicks while mostly covered up

I know, bloody wuss going to hospital with his brain injury and broken teeth.

I tell you in my day.....sure he probably deserved it anyway...... Retaliation, something something.

🙄

• Advertisement

What I do know is that referring this matter upward to the brain solves nothing. We can't conduct brain scans and neural analyses on everyone who commits a crime. They're not patients, they're perpetrators.

Instead, we have to go by how people behave in the real world. Unless people use mind-altering drugs etc. which is a legitimate defence, and aside from the often stupid "insane" defence, everyone else should be held up to the same standard: that they are fully responsible for their actions, are consciously aware of their actions and have full agency over them, and will be punished and held accountable should they cause harm to others.

The teenagers who committed this crime, and that's what it is, would be having a field day with your assessment that we need to think about how their brain is structured.

We were all 15 once, and we were far smarter than many adults thought we were. Often playing stupid or being manipulative along the way.

These teenagers are no different. They're the absolute scum of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched the clip once, it is really grim, so sad to see. I won't be able to watch again.

Sad, but not surprising to see usual people on here spouting usual nonsense.

Hope the f#ckers who did it are locked up but won't hold my breath, talk that the school might suspend them for a week...yeah that will show them.

When I shared my own story of a serious homophobic attack against myself on here some people tried to downplay that, it wasn't homophobic etc. Despite being called a "f#ggot" repeatedly, oh and slashed in the face with a Stanley knife. Grand so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

I made plenty of what I retrospectively view as bad decisions as a teenager, but none of them involved knocking anyone's teeth out.

If by harshly punishing all violent teenagers like this we lose the opportunity of reforming some of them, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

These teens involved in this knew what they were doing was wrong and still did it. I hate this were because someone is under a certain age they are treated with leniency, from the time these teens go into secondary school they know what the law is and they know right from wrong, whether their brain has developed or not, no more slaps on the wrist, they need to understand that if they break the law they are going to have to face consequences. Knowing there will be consequences for their behavior may make some of them think twice about engaging in this sort of thuggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

If you've done something like that before you should be utterly **** ashamed of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

FFS that wasn't a fight, that was an unprovoked beating by a pack of feral scumbags. I witnessed some fights back in school in the 80s but nothing like that, and I went to a tough enough school.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Thankfully he can be clearly identified in the video.

I suspect it will be a long time before he assaults someone again. And I hope he has great difficulty in finding a new school to continue his education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

I think these bullies need to be locked up for a long time. I understand that a teenager may do rash, stupid things, like lash out at someone or use filthy words. But these guys have deliberately attacked someone and they should be treated as an organized group of criminals and isolated from the society. If they are free, they will go on and hurt many more people in the future.

These kids/teens whatever, if convicted, should be treated EXACTLY the same as any other criminal.

Calling for harsher sentences as some posters on here have, makes no sense. We could easily call for more lenient sentences, but that would not be correct either. Sadly we all know of cases where a defence council will argue that the perpetrator suffered some terrible tragedy in their childhood, and so should be treated more leniently.

Doubtless the guys in the silly wigs will get handsomely paid to put forward these "arguments", and will then repair to the Wig 'n Pen for a few GnTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm just reading this wondering if any of you have children yourselves.

I'm also wondering what this boy's Dad if he has one in his life is doing today/tonight.

I know what I'd be doing, - sitting quietly with a few of my closest friends studying that video and gradually identifying each one of those scum and where they live.

The difficult bit would be getting to them all before being arrested.

Consequences? Yes, ironically I'd probably be jailed for my actions although these dirt will face no courtroom for what they've done.

There was bullying and there were fights when I went to school too, and I participated in enough of those fights to know that the only justice you ever get is what you make yourself.

These bxxtards go on to often be highly respected and successful, beating some smaller lad doesn't blight their future in any way.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

I’m shocked that someone wouldn’t be ashamed of that behaviour as an adult. Just baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

F*ck me, some poeple choose the strangest things to try and make a "point" on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'd probably be by my child's hospital bedside instead of inventing revenge fantasies on the internet.

I can only speak to my own experiences, when I went to school there would be fights and lads getting "hopped on" on a weekly basis. Including guys getting ganged up like this.

It's not a good thing, i'm not condoning it. But the reaction is over the top.

• you’ve either an awful memory or you’re a straight up bullsugarer. There’s no way you’re going to honestly say the reaction to this is OTT?

The chaps been left in hospital with severe facial injuries after he got absolutely savaged. You saw this regularly in school? Did you fcuk.

There’s always been fights among teenagers, especially lads, I seen plenty myself but never to this extent. This was just getting hopped on or hopped off this is a savage, barbaric beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yes, yes, I know, - that's usually the answer on boards. Very original of you.

What some people don't seem to get is that there will be no consequences from the law and nobody will protect your children apart from you.

Probably best you don't have any if you're not motivated enough to fight for them.

Sure just give them a time out or something and tell them to reflect on their actions shur..

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Not much I can say that hasn’t been said already, but I just cannot get over how anyone is able to liken this to young lads giving each other a few digs after school or whatever, boggles the mind.

This was one chap who got absolutely levelled by a group of thugs. It wasn’t a few lads having a knock ffs. Any of ye trying to argue it’s nothing to do with pink hair and it’s jumping to conclusions would want to give your heads a shake as well.

For all the chat about it being “normal in schools in my time” strange how it’s so conveniently forgotten that anyone who dared to be a bit different, in secondary school especially, was an outright target for bullies.

pink hair might as well be a dart board on your head. I finished in secondary school about 15 year ago and back then if your school pants were a different brand to the rest of the school you were made fun of ffs

Seen plenty of lads out for a knock over one thing or another and I was witness to several attacks for no particular reason. However they were mainly just a few digs in the arm or stomach, I hesitate to say “harmless” but compared to what was dished out to this kid they might as well have been tickled.

Scary to be honest how quickly some folks are willing to just brush this under the carpet as “boys will be boys”. Like I was coming home from work on Easter weekend, two lads outside the pub were knocking each other around over god knows what, but I wouldn’t say it’s comparable to a group of people beating the living shite out of someone.

Them boys went home with bruised egos at worst. When someone’s hospitalised with severe facial fractures, broken teeth, concussions etc, how can you say that’s “normal”?

Jaysus lads the chap wouldn’t have been as broke up if he fell from the schools roof and the beating was “the usual craic” for kids? Would ye listen to yourself.

i haven't seen the footage and i dont want to. i can imagine only too well what it contains.

i want to send my heartfelt best wishes to that poor kid and his family. i hope he makes a good recovery, although that is likely to haunt his thoughts for many a long year. i hope he goes on to show these idiots that he is a survivor and a winner, and that they are the true losers in life.

i sincerely hope the thugs are apprehended and get a proper prison sentence. (sadly i am not overly hopeful of this). the footage is there. the gardaí know who they are. the DPP need to act when presented with the file.

do your job and make them pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can we stop referring to the attackers as idiots. They didn’t punk the kid, they viciously assaulted him. They are thugs!

The chap has not been "left in hospital" ffs. He went to hospital - which was a choice on his part, anybody can go to hospital. You can go with a stubbed toe if you want. He was discharged almost immediately. What you call "serious facial injuries" is probably a black eye.

The video I saw was a fairly tame beating that got broken up in around 20 seconds. It's not a good thing - I am not condoning bullying or schoolyard beatings but the way some of ye are going on it's like you seen a lad murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So how much time do you spend inventing scenarios where you would make right what others have made wrong? Like do you have it marked off in the calender? Is it just teenagers you'd go full last house on the left on or would you relentlessly take down anyone regardless of age, gender or position? If you hit one of your kids in a rage would you have to headbutt a wall to teach yourself a lesson?

Instead of spending time thinking about some made up revenge situations, that time could probably be better spent actually talking to your kids, if you actually have any.

Could the parents take a civil case against the attackers? Just wondering.

That poor kid is going to need dental work for their broken teeth, possibly plastic surgery if there are facial injuries?

Also probably years of therapy.

He should get the best that private care can offer, and the parents of his attackers should be paying the bill.

i dont think we need to go down the infantile "my vid is more violent & graphic than yours" route.

was the kid assaulted or was he not? if so, then a crime was committed and the offenders need to face the full consequences of the law. whatever that may entail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

They are idiots though. It’s plain stupid to be doing something like this while being recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is just a confirmation in my mind that we have a soft attitude to scum in our society.

Everyone knows that true justice won't be meted out here, for various reasons mentioned.

Our justice system has been overrun and taken over by well-meaning but utterly destructive NGO's and any government is afraid of taking them on, as they get good PR from our national media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement