Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Rhododendron

Options
  • 17-05-2023 6:35pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A few years back, I discovered a rhododendron hidden under other large shrubs in our garden planted by the previous owner. It hadn't been thriving really so I dug it up and put it in a pot of ericaceous compost. It was doing well and flowered happily over the last few years.

About a year ago, I transplanted it into a bigger pot (as it was growing nicely) and again it flowered. I also moved it to another location in the garden which may jave been slighlty more exposed.

Since winter though it has been doing downhill. I recently put within a bigger pot with fresh ericaceous compost with a bit of rhododendron food in the mix. I fed it sequestered iron a month ago.

Still though it is not looking good at all...

The leaves aren't falling off, just yellow/brown and curled.

Any idea what us causing this? Any idea if it's possible to resolve it or is it beyond hope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That does look a bit sick. I think they don't like being moved, I had one that I moved and it did that. I left it to get on with it over winter then fed and watered it in the spring. Its looking a lot better. If it could be in the ground I reckon it would be better but that depends on your circumstances. You could tidy it up a bit, take off the old dead flowers and some of the worst leaves, other than that just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Might be worth checking if it's draining properly.. could be wrong compost looks a bit wet.

Advertisement