Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light sentence for 5 false allegations

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I didn't ask for examples.

I asked you to back up your statement.

It mightn't be that rare a crime. It's rare that anyone is convicted of it.

I've neither the time nor the inclination to gather them for you.

So we will file it under absolute scutter so, fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Oh come off your saddle-less bike there lad for a second. Every other post from you has been to point out that poor Sonya needs help. Sonya doesn't need help, she needs to be monitored when she gets out of jail in 2 or 3 years. If she repeats any of her dangerous behaviour, she should be put into a padded room with a forgotten key.

You commented on my "interruption" interpretation of your comments and I gave you the reasons why I interpreted your comments the way I did. You might not like how how I showed you up to be a sympathiser for the perpetrator, but there's no need for such a hard deflection on your part.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

And I backed up my statement with a couple of examples. Fcuked if I'm doing a pile of research but there's evidence there that false rape claims do happen (thankfully not that often) and there's evidence that not everybody who makes a false rape claim gets convicted of making a false rape claim. The example I posted was a false rape claim where the woman wasn't charged for making a false claim even though the guy spend time in jail over it.

Here's an academic paper on false rape allegations. I'm not paying to subscribe but you can read the abstract. False rape accusations do occur.

Studies vary to somewhere between 2% to 10% of reported rapes are false with this study finding 5.9% of the rapes examined were false.

Only 109 women were prosecuted for making false rape allegations in the 5 years mentioned in the article above and there were over 3000 rapes prosecutions in one year alone.

If we use the absolute lowest figure of the study above and take it that 2% of all rape allegations are false (2% of 3,000 = 60) you'd expect an average of 60 convictions for false allegations of rape per year (average) when in reality, there was only an average of 22 per year during the period studied.

Is that good enough for you?

Post edited by BattleCorp on

From you article which is from 2014 and encompasses the whole of the UK, which isn't Ireland. 😕

Cases of perverting the course of justice that involve allegedly false rape allegations are serious but rare. They are usually highly complex and sensitive often involving vulnerable parties, so any decision to charge is extremely carefully considered and not taken lightly

If we use the absolute lowest figure of the study above and take it that 2% of all rape allegations are false (2% of 3,000 = 60)

The article states only 10% of rapes are reported.

Fair enough?

Post edited by Boggles on

• Advertisement

It must be causing you to toddler tantrum because your bias was so easily shown. Should Egan be given a couple oh happy pills and have her sentence fully suspended? Change the gender and I'm sure you'd be voting for a much harsher sentence, the sort Egan should have got.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You asked for a citation. I gave you one. It's not from Ireland but it's a citation but you didn't request a citation from Ireland. You got what you asked for.

The 10% of rapes are reported claim is a different matter.

I just saw the Prime Time interview now. What a complete wagon Egan is. Pretending to be different people in the same chat group and using "anti" groups to intimidate her victims. Faking illness and having her lackies live-feed court proceedings to her. The only mistruth was that she will be in Jail for 9 years. She will be back on the streets in 2 or 3 years doing the very same thing, or worse.

Stay Free

Her problem was she made false allegations against too many people. Making false allegations per se wasn't her problem. Had she just launched the standard false "abusive father" allegations against her husband in a divorce case, she could have played the victim card very successfully (and had a taxpayer-funded Women's Aid attendee sitting next to her in the courtroom as she turned on the tears to embrace her newfound 'victim' status in front of a judge).

indeed in supposedly liberal, modern Ireland - where a father in front of the secretive family courts in 2023 has as much chance as a black man in Mississippi in 1950 of being declared innocent - any woman who makes false allegations against her husband will never have her name publicised if she is subsequently discovered to have made false allegations. Re-read that. Such are the glories of the secrecy - "in camera" rulings - of the Irish family courts, so making false allegations is a risk-free no-brainer for a woman to choose in the family law courts when the rewards (control of the family home and children, and playing the victim card) are so massive.

Meanwhile, the man who is a recipeint of these false allegations, what does he do? Does anybody try to walk in those shoes for a few minutes? In a society where far too many ignorant people believe "no smoke without fire", he keeps everything to himself because by even saying what the false allegation is, people judge him negatively because "there must be some truth in it", they "reason". So, he keeps the false allegation all to himself and goes through the years of waiting for the legal system to get to his case, with silence being his only remaining dignity.

The uniquely destructive, life-altering, impact of false allegations on a man's dignity is never, ever, ever acknowledged in Irish law or by Irish judges. It rips a man's soul apart for years, while the liar and the bully uses her gender to play the victim card. False allegations are one of the comparatively few things in modern courtrooms which can accurately be described as 'evil'. The final insult to the victims here is when the perpetrator of so much destruction on another human being gets a slap on the wrist sentence. The Irish legal system - especially in the family law courts - needs to stop incentivising false allegations by giving far longer prison sentences, and ensuring they are always, always, always publicly named. That would reduce the number of false allegations overnight.

Advertisement