Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking a dog to Spain

• 17-05-2023 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I'm looking at travelling by air to Spain for 3 months next year and would like to take my dog with us (a Shitzu). Does anyone know how you can do this at a reasonable cost. We will want to bring him back to Ireland with us. I got one quote that said it would be €2500 😥

Has anyone done this before? I know you can't bring them in the cabin but not sure how it works and would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭nomoedoe

Would you consider taking the ferry?,can get the boat from Rosslare to Bilbao they have dog friendly cabins and it would cost a lot less than 2500e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Neighbour brings a dog over from Germany on the ferry several times a year (goes via France iirc). Once you have the paper work sorted its not that difficult. Spain is EU so same rules as Germany. Just avoid any journey via the UK.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Going to the continent via the UK with a dog is fine as long as your journey starts in the EU and the dog has an EU passport. Spot checks in Wales, which usually means no check, then at Dover, Folkestone etc they have passport control where the dog's chip is read and checked against the passport and away you go. Just the same as going to and from France from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭nomoedoe

I brought my dog to France last year through Fishguard and Dover and it was very straight forward like you say just the passport and chip and everything was grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Neighbour takes her dog to Spain on plane (in the cabin with her)

Dogs needs to be under 10kg and in a travel cage.

Check with whichever airline you are flying with.

And get a pet passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Portuguese airlines also allow dog in cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Unless the dog is very small and can travel in the cabin, it will be very expensive as Dublin airport (in particular) cannot accept dogs at the check in desk because of the design of the baggage transport system. You have to arrange it via cargo which is a multiple if the price (up to 10 times) what the airline actually charges. I am in Portugal now for second year running with our dog. Travelled via Rosslare-Bilbao. New ferry this year which is a sea change from last year’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sunshine158

Thanks All. Yes, the ferry seems to be the only option from Dublin. Appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

Ferry and drive down through France over the mountains into Spain fabulous trip stay in small places to break up the journey France is very dog friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭iniscealtra

Ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

We are thinking of doing this using the channel tunnel, but I believe we will need a stamp in the passport showing that a vet has administered a worming tablet between 1 and 5 days before departure.

Has anyone had to do this and know of anywhere in France we can get this done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You mean coming back to Ireland?

Any vet in France will do it, just Google some, the ones near the ports will be well used to it, just ensure you get the timing right that it's 24 hours before you land in the UK, but less than 5 days than landing back in Ireland, so don't stay in GB too long.

Advertisement