Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSU question

Options
  • 18-05-2023 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭

Hello

Hoping for some advice.

I have some RSU's that have vested/matured.

I would like to transfer some of these to my bank account as I need cash

My question is regarding the transferring of these to my bank account - is there a magic figure I should stick to, like don't transfer 10k as it will raise eyebrows, instead transfer 2k etc

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭obi604

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Why would it raise eyebrows, they are your shares to sell when you wish.

im just wondering, im sure if I transferred 25k worth of shares, someone somewhere would wonder where the money came from and I have to explain etc

just trying to keep things under the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Not at all, sure your explanation will be I got it from RSU’s.

Does your company pay the tax on them for you on your behalf? Either way you will need to declare it in a tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

As long as you plan on meeting your CGT obligations there's nothing to keep under the radar, and seeking advice on how to dodge said obligations is not permitted on boards.

If your gain in a given year is under €1,270 then you have no liability, but you still have to file a return. If it's over that, you only have a liability on the balance in excess of that.

• Advertisement

52% of the rsu’s are gone in tax for me so I think that’s what you mean by company paying tax

declare a tax return - wasn’t aware of this. Where is this done, on the ros/revenue website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

RSUs vesting are taxed as income, so the company will have deducted that for you as you say, and settled that with Revenue.

Once you dispose of an asset or assets, however, CGT comes into play, and as you rightly surmise you can settle this via ROS. As I mention above, depending on the gain you may not actually have any liability, but you're still obliged to file a return, and indeed should you be selling at a loss this is even more in your interest, as you can "bank" that loss to offset against a future CGT liability.

Advertisement