Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor socket

• 18-05-2023 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi

I want to install an outdoor socket for a robotic mower , Charger : input, 100 - 230v 50/60Hz 38w, output, 20v, 1.5A

I checked the junction box at the electric gates , it jumps between 5v and 20v , the 230v feed is on the wrong side and no means to run a cable across without obstructing the entrance

I was think of running a cable , SWA 2.5mm from the garage but it's 70 metres away from the termination point

I tried to get a few sparks to take a look but no interest, is it a DIY job?

Yellow line in pic below

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Maybe a silly question but why don't you put the charger nearer to the shed as the mower will need to go find it anyway? Plus how will it move from that patch of grass in the bottom left to the main sections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Is there any reason why you can't put it on the outside of the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭clodola

I have a robot mower already for the larger area , getting a second for the smaller section , cannot create a bridge between the two because it is raised slightly over half a metre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can run the cable but ideally get an electrician to help to ensure its safe and wired up ok. The robo lawnmower will take very little power so the long run should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I see. Any you say that you don't want to lay a cable crossing the driveway at the gate?

But sure you are talking about laying cable across the back boundary, crossing through concrete, then down along the tarmacadam yard and driveway. Sure that is multiples of the work of doing a crossing by the gate. Am I missing something?

You cannot just lay it on the ground, or clip it to a fence. It would be far too vulnerable to damage and inevitably will get damaged and be a hazard. No good electrician would connect that up for you.

I'd say it would be far less costly overall to just do a drop kerb at either side of the driveway and ramp the high ground down to the crossing point at a gradient that the mower can handle.

One mower, one charger. Far less hassle. Why would you even want a second mower?

Another option would be to just burn off that area with roundup and plant it with a perennial wildflower mix, then let it be.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
Advertisement