Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does house insurance cover damage to front wall of house?

Options
  • 19-05-2023 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi folks. A car drove into the front pier and entrance gate at our house and drove off. All was left was broken glass and but of bumper? Will our house insurance cover the cost of fixing stone pier and large gate? Many thanks, Jimmy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Yes

A car done the same to my front wall and insurance payed out

But in this climate your premium might go up a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd say it depends on your policy. If you rang your insurer they'd let you know. But they'd have to point out the clause on your policy if you think they were fobbing you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,376 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Typically, yes; a home insurance policy will cover all permanent structures on the land, including the boundary wall. But the only way to find out if your policy does is to read it, or to ring the insurer and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check with your neighbours to see if any have cameras recording the road and you may be able to get the reg to claim off the person responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Could you submit a claim through the uninsured drivers fund, that way you have no claim on your home insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Claim off your own insurance. It would be very unusual for a policy not to cover that. If you find the driver then they will go after his insurance.

Wouldn't this be a case for the MIBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need to reg of the vehicle to do that. Which is why I said to check neighbours for cameras to get the reg and either go direct to the cars insurance or MIBI if they aren't insured

Vehicle/Property Damage Claims

The MIBI Agreement does not extend to the payment of compensation in circumstances where damage has been caused to vehicles and/or property caused by an unidentified vehicle.

The only exception to this is when substantial personal injuries, involving an inpatient hospital stay for five days or more, are sustained as a result of the incident, subject to an excess of €500, i.e. the claimant must pay the first €500 of the damage claim.

Unidentified Vehicles (mibi.ie)

Advertisement