Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is making a gift to confirmation sponsor a thing/normal?

Options
  • 19-05-2023 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Our son is making his confirmation today and his aunt who is 30 years old old is his sponsor.

My wife is telling me that we need to buy a gift for her to the value of about €200. I had never heard of this before and don’t remember it when I was making my confirmation.

Is this just runaway consumerism or is this actually a thing?

Also, what would be nice and appropriate for a 30 year old single female?

All advice appreciated on this.

Is it real?

How much is appropriate to spend?

What gift would be appropriate.

Thanks all for your advice. 🙏🙏🙏

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Having had a few kids confirmed and being a sponsor for a couple more, I've never heard of such a practice. Absolutely unnecessary. Being a sponsor is an honour and doesn't come with gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Ridiculous.

Say “Thank you .. much appreciated”…and treat her and whoever she has with her to the grub after.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

Right that's what I thought too. Utter BS wanton consumerism.

Now just need to tackle it with herself.

Arrgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Raoul

Never heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Never heard of it either. A small token if you felt you had to get something. Bottle of Wine / Bunch of Flowers.

€200 is equivalent to a wedding present from 1 couple to another!

Alternatively, if you're being pressured into it, use 200 quid from your son's takings on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Family/ Parenting forum which is probably more suited to the issue.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Not usual, OP, in my experience anyway.

If your son wanted to give a small gift, as his own idea, it's nice to encourage that. But I haven't heard of the sponsor receiving a gift from the parents before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Never heard of it. If anything the gift comes from the sponsor, not to the sponsor.

As others said pay for her meal and a drink as she's a guest but leave it at that.

Thanks everybody for the fast responses. Just as I thought.

Cheers everyone. 🙏🙏🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Deeec

No its not a thing. Im sure your having a nice meal out or party after the confirmation - thats enough of a thank you to the sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Definitely not a thing! The sponsor GIVES a gift/cash and in return they get a nice meal. That's it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yup, that's how it worked for me twice over in the last number of years including last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Can the €200 be backdated? I've been sponsor to two of my nephews and could do with the cash.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

No! And certainly not €200 worth. Is the sponsor your wife's sister by any chance?

If you really want to give her something, give her a nice photo of the two of them on the day. No need for anything else.

€200 is a flipping wedding present!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Is your wife going to buy her a brown Thomas voucher, not give it to her and then spend it on herself? Because that’s what this sounds like. If she insists it’s a practice, ask her to call anyone on her phone, put them on speaker, and ask them the question 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Women. You wouldn't get a bloke making up this gibberish. The fascination with spending money on these days is ridiculous. What else has the missus lined up, bouncy castle, caterers, professional hair and make up, new dress, gift for thr child?

------------------------------

Warned for Breach of Charter

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Yep, runaway consumerism in the pursuit of the dopamine hit. Savage primal behaviour in it's modern form. Urrgh!

Advertisement