Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Creator (Gareth Edwards Sci-fi)

Options
  • 19-05-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭

Billed as a sci-fi action thriller, The Creator is the new film from Gareth Edwards. Some aspects of the trailer seem a bit too familiar, but the cast is decent and Edwards certainly has the chops for sci-fi spectacle.

The cast includes John David Washington, Allison Janney, Ralph Ineson, Gemma Chan, and Ken Watanabe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Feels like nearly a half Chris Nolan cast!

Didn’t know about this but I’ve liked Edwards sci fi movies so will prob give it a watch.

Special effects look good, Edwards again is very good at making good sci fi movies look good so it probably has something going for it.

Nice to see a non comicbook big budget looking sci fi. We need more of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a bit silly to claim that a trailer summarising the film's plot is a "teaser", but hey ho. Visuals look good but the story feels very derivative.

I've found story to be something of a weakness acrosss all of his films so I'll probably wait on reviews I trust before going to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Woah! Went into the trailer blind and like... even the first second alone I must've rewatched 15 times just to stare at the megastructures in the background!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A new Terminator reboot 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This looked very generic, but then I also can't complain when someone ties to make a Sci-Fi blockbuster these days that isn't based on an existing IP.

All the aesthetics of the tech put me in mind of something Neil Blomkamp might make, so when I saw the trailer presumed it was him. It's Gareth Edwards first film since Rogue One; 7 years and I'm guessing he's out of Hollywood purgatory given I vaguely recall he was sacked from Rogue One for messing up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The art direct / general look of it reminds me of the apex legends / titanfall universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looks awesome. When's it out?

Edit: I see it is out on September the 29th :( .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer. Haven't watched it myself so can't tell you how spoilerific or otherwise it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's about the same as the last trailer re. plot.

The production design on this looks absolutely insanely gorgeous - like Concept Art come alive. The story seems rote as hell but as a visual experience, it could be lush.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

will this be the new "bla bla bla its like the Matrix" movie of our time?

looks good though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

From the initial director of Rogue One more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Saw the trailer for this at 'Oppenheimer'.

Looks very ho hum though. But I kinda hope it does well. I like Gareth Edwards and I think he was shafted by Disney on 'Rogue One'. :/

So it's good to see him back in the game.

"Final" trailer out; it certainly looks like one for the cinema. Some spectacular vistas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I really like the look of this. The scope of it. I really loved the "grounded" aesthetic Edwards brought to Star Wars in Rogue One (The AT-AT on the beach, looking like some actual war movie was amazing. Plus, this gave us the best Star Wars series, Andor). As said above, good to see something new. And anything that gets Ken Watanabe on the screen gets my thumbs up. Yeah, DEFINITELY one for the biggest damn screen you can find

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

At this point, I'm thinking the only wildcard about it is the ins-and-outs of the story.

It looks so well made and the special effects are so cool!

Ms

Just booked my ticket for it next week. Can not wait. Have not been to the Cinema since the Cinema day as just nothing out I wanted to see. So really looking forward to this. That's got to be the longest I have been away from the cinema in a while lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So far the local Vue in Ashbourne has only one showing listed for next week onwards; and it at 9pm which ain't great for me. I hope that's not it & it'll get a better selection of showings. Sometimes the website doesn't update its film times properly 'til the week of.

The reviews I've seen have been exactly what the trailers hint at: incredibly rote, by the numbers storytelling but an absolutely spectacular, cinematic visual experience. TBH that's fine with me if both are true; I've missed SciFi in movies that reaches for grandeur.

Holy shít, the budget on this is apparently 80 million. From those trailers that's an astonishing fidelity of the FX, for that money.

I've seen some reviews hoping this succeeding proves Hollywood to stop spending 300 million on crazy swings - but that'll depend on how well this does.

Ms

On my way to go see this. Can not wait :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Wow, just read a couple of reviews*. The trailer didn't grab me but now I'm very keen. Looking forward to hear what you guys think

*the Empire review, particularly, is glowing and spoiler free

• Advertisement
    Ms

Excellent film. It takes a little while to get going and it's in chapters which is strange but it's so worth it for the ending. I would put it up there with "Star wars Rogue One" the film

Also some of the vehicles in it are very weird make no sense but are cool too.

The ending certainly had vibes of Independence day and Star Wars TROTJ

The film has got a very dystopian kind of feel to it.

The music is amazing and perfectly suited to every scene.

I would give it 9 out of 10.

Definitely going to see it again.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Will this still be in cinemas at the end of October?

Ms

Depends on how well it does. I went today. Very few in the Cinema. It was great. Hopefully it does well over the weekend.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I have little knowledge about how films are made, but I thought this video was very interesting describing how they managed to make it with a relatively small budget. Tiny film crews travelling around the world shooting in real locations rather than building sets, apparently very little green screens were used. The visual effects were only added after the editing was complete which saved them lots of money and they used some Sony FX3 camera which is supposedly cheaper than others but good enough to do the job required. It looks great from the trailers I’ve seen so looking forward to seeing it.

Speaking of film budgets - does the budget figure include all the salaries too I’ve often wondered, presumably yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is looking promising. It might actually convince me to go to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just saw it. Wasn't my cup of tea really. So many plot holes and things that didn't make sense. Like their translators were worse than what Google offers nowadays for one. Still enjoyed the ride though

Ms

You should. So worth it for the awesome end scenes alone. I will be going to see it a second time for sure.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Wait Google offer translators. I never knew that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Just back from this and I didnt think I'd enjoy it as much as I did but I loved it. It looks amazing but its also genuinely moving. John David washington is brilliant but that kid is off the scale, thats just pure natural ability right there. It reminded me of so many films(Bladerunner, Avatar, District 9, the last samurai) and the soundtrack is pretty awesome (radiohead, Deep purple). I thought it zipped along at a good clip building it up to a spectacular ending. I really hope it does well at the box office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gareth Edwards has done some amazing stuff on a shoestring to be fair, monsters is well worth a watch it only cost 500k.

As far as I know the budget would include the salaries. I think the very general rule of thumb is a film needs to make 2.5 times it's budget to break even.

Advertisement