Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

"Supported by your licence fee" hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Each week you give out about it, yet you can't stop watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Will have to commit armed robbery to afford Springsteen tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Well that was shiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Sad to say that this forum is full of people whinging about shows they feel compelled to hate-watch.

Even though I preferred his predecessor I still hope Kielty gets a fair whack of the stick in The Big Chair

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

After two promising shows, it feels like the LLS went back around 10 steps tonight. An RTE canteen face in the form of PJ Gallagher followed by two really unfunny people. Emma Doran was a guest on the LLS back in March this year. Not even nine months between appearances. Both she and her companion (I didn't catch his name) were awful. Admittedly, I switched over when Andy Cole came on because I have no interest in football, but returned, then gave up once I realised the next guest was just someone with a book to plug. It's a shame, but then Gay had dud editions too. Hoping for a better show next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not sure why..mainly work ..but haven't really tuned in for a few weeks.

But it seems the initial positivity has died a bit here ?

How is he doing , I was hoping for him to do well...but watching this evening , this strange faces and forced laugh ..is a bit grating?

I'll give it another go ..the thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Post edited by Brian Scan on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Someone posted about Alex Ferguson being a good “father figure” to his players in this thread but I can’t find it so I’ll post my response here:

Ferguson was only a father figure to his players if they were useful to Manchester United.

Compare the blow ups he had with Beckham and Keane: they were jettisoned as soon as they stood up to him and when their powers on the pitch were waning (yes, even Beckham. In 2003 he wasn’t the player he was just a few years earlier), but when those same players were at their pomp Ferguson was happy to deal with whatever tantrums they had to dish out. And there were plenty from both.

Even more damningly compare how Ferguson treated Paul McGrath to Jack Charlton.

When McGrath was struggling with his alcoholism did father figure Fergie put his arm around McGrath and try to help him out? No, Ferguson forced him out of the club and even tried to pay off McGrath so that McGrath would retire altogether.

That’s in stark contrast with Jack Charlton who would literally tuck McGrath into bed when McGrath couldn’t play after a heavy drinking session. Charlton did everything he could to save McGrath from himself, he would even have bouncers waiting outside McGrath’s room to stop him from sneaking out.

A father figure guides his boys to greatness, yes, but he also protects them when they need it. Ferguson used to chew his players up and spit them out when he was finished. That’s not what a father figure does. He exploited his players and dumped them when they were no longer useful.

Source on the McGrath story:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alex-ferguson-mcgrath-manutd-offer-29510898.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How is PJ an RTE canteen face? He works for Nova

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's why he's great , in ireland we leave them playing until they decide to retire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

That might be why he's great, but it's also why he's not really a father figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just a few comments on three common criticisms in the thread.

Z LIST

Every actor/performer won't be at the top of their profession but they may be a good guest. One of the most interesting men I ever met was an actor who worked in Hollywood for years. He was always in supporting roles and his name would be well down the credits. He made a good living and had some great stories to tell.

CANTEEN GUESTS

Every TV/Radio station cross promotes their wares. It makes sense from a commercial point of view to keep their own presenters in the limelight. A chat show or magazine type programme is an ideal vehicle to introduce talent to a wider audience.

FLOGGING SOMETHING

Almost everyone on chat shows is flogging something. It might be their latest album or tour. It could be a play, a movie or a book. Some are there to promote a charity event or a cause they support. Almost all those show business people doing their stuff on the LLS or G Norton etc would rather be somewhere else. They are there for work not fun.

Post edited by elperello on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

Watched the Two Johnnies on there own show last week.

What a bit of fresh air.

Thoroughly enjoyed it compared to the LLS.

Can't stand Kielty's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I looked at the Daniel O Donnell interview from last week again last night and it was a great interview with great chemistry between Kielty and Daniel.

Tubridy had Daniel on the show millions of times and not once was it funny.

one interview with Kielty and Daniel comes across as very good craic and well able to make fun of himself.

Kielty is playing a blinder

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Thank god Kielty got the LLS at the end of it all, last night wasn't great but there is the whole unpredictability again now, the end bit where Kielty rings the telephone competition winner to be met with initial whisper and deep breathing was funny. Can you imagine what it would be like with Claire Byrne at the helm, she is definitely not chat show host material, RTE dodged a bullet there. Hopefully the penny has dropped that current affairs and light entertainment don't mix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭amacca

Can't disagree with that but a lot of the performers on the LLS aren't particularly interesting (many the opposite in fact) and have appeared too many times before

If they introduced a 5 year limit on reappearances it would go a long way to improving things...

Something new might have happened to the guests in that five years, they might have developed in some way and the LLS might have to hunt around for more interesting (if not higher up the celebrity pecking order) guests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I like Patrick Kielty, but a big problem stiil remains, the quality of almost all the guests is awful. Last night was very,very poor.

He's done plenty of work with RTÉ...might not be doing anything at Montrose at the moment, but would have plenty RTÉ contacts. He's not someone who's had his entire career with private broadcasters.

I made a point similar to your first point a few weeks back, though my example was people who would have been A-listers 30 years ago and whose star has now faded. You're absolutely right, you don't need to be an A-lister to be a good guest, but there's a difference between the Z-listers in your example and the Z-listers like Shane Daniel Byrne from last night, who should be avoided. He was terrible, as was Emma Doran.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pretty crazy they can't get any guests, that they have to go to the RTE Canteen, or jump on Andy Cole who happened to be in Dublin.

He's done work for TV productions commissioned by RTE, big difference.

If someone went walking the streets looking for interesting guests they'd find them

Yeah Irish comedians on talk shows with scripted material is embarrassing mostly

I think we're near the top of the consumption "leaderboard" in Europe. Shocking stat

• Advertisement

Advertisement