Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Is the "Yup" an answer to the xenophobia accusation?

"Vast majority" of his guests are "his mates from up North" ... absolute rubbish! Back that up with some figures.

"Very little balance" What does that even mean? Are you talking about political balance? Balance in social background?

Carl Frampton and Mary McAleese are worlds apart regarding their background and their life experiences.

Just "Nordies" to you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,579 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It should be called the Late Republican Show at this stage. If it was balanced you would not have a continuous flow of Republicans with subtle propaganda.

Agreed

What else would you expect. The show started with a leading Republican, and ended with a guest, Stephen Rea, who was married to Dolours Price, an IRA member. Of course, that was not mentioned on the show. Former IRA bomber Dolours Price was the one who once described how Mr Adams ordered her to ferry captives, including Ms McConville, across the Border to be murdered.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dolours-price-former-ira-terrorist-and-ex-wife-of-actor-stephen-rea-dies-of-suspected-overdose/29022340.html

No mention of Ms Price though, only praise from Stephen Rea, one of the joint first ministers ( the one who was on the late late Republican show of course) , and snide comments about the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 68,824 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sorry, I'm just still trying to imagine the Late Late staff working their way through a list of identified 'RA supporters and 'inviting' them on the show. 😁

• Advertisement

Renowned republicans and 'ra supporters such as Tiger's Bay very own Carl Frampton MBE, former Ballymena Young Conquerors flute band member James Nesbitt OBE and former British army officer James Blunt😂

Frampton was there as a boxer (the fact he is a Catholic from N. Ireland is irrelevant), Nesbitt was there as an actor and James Blunt was there as a musician. None made political comments like the Republicans did on the Republican Late Show.

Even on last Friday nights show alone, as pointed out already the show started with a leading Republican ( from an IRA family background back in the day ) and ended with a guest, Stephen Rea, who was married to Dolours Price, an IRA member. Of course, that was not mentioned on the show. Former IRA bomber Dolours Price was the one who once described how Mr Adams ordered her to ferry captives, including Ms McConville, across the Border to be murdered.

Stephen Rea was there as an actor in a current high profile Beckett play in Dublin. A stock type of guest for these shows.

MoN was there as the newly installed First Minister of NI, which like or not, people are interested in. Maybe you aren't but then the LLS is not designed for one person's viewing.

Stephen Rea is an actor but still got in praise for O'Neill and a snide comments about the DUP etc. It was not revealed of course that he was married to Dolours Price, an IRA member. Former IRA bomber Dolours Price was the one who once described how Mr Adams ordered her to ferry captives, including Ms McConville, across the Border to be murdered. Rea gave one sided subtle propaganda throughout his interview.

O'Neill was there as First Minister but did not answer the soft questions she was asked, it was another half hour propaganda piece. Not surprising at this stage.

If the Republican Late show was balanced, it would have had the other joint first minister on. And someone who could interview properly.

She didn't give the answers you wanted, but she answered all the questions.

Why would it need to be mentioned who Rea was married to over 20 years ago? How ridiculous would doing that with every guest be?

You are losing the plot here.

Successful people in high profile jobs and positions are key to this type of programme and always have been.

• Advertisement

She did not answer the questions, she dodged them with well rehearsed replies. See her reply to immigration for example. She says she will "reach out to unionists" but that means - to her - mixing with royalty and then attending pira commemorations saying there was no alternative! Imagine if Kielty had a Loyalist politician on who went to commemorations of loyalist para-militaries and who said there was no alternative to loyalist para-militaries?

Rea was an actor with obvious IRA sympathies ( not surprising given he was married to former IRA bomber Dolours Price, who was the one who once described how Mr Adams ordered her to ferry captives, including Ms McConville, across the Border to be murdered ). Why did Kiely allow him to give his one sided political piece, without any challenging?

She gave a very reasoned defence of her 'First Minister for All' slogan. The problem for you is that you do not include republicans in 'All' and never did.

Stephen is himself, there is no onus on him to be what you want him to be, just as there wouldn't be any onus on Carl Frampton or Jimmy Nesbitt to be who I want them to be.

You don't agree with them, well so what?

Of course the First Minister should be the First Minister for all, and the two joint first ministers should be for all. We just got one First minister, who says she will "reach out to unionists" but that means - to her - mixing with royalty and then attending pira commemorations saying there was no alternative! As I said already, imagine if Kielty had a Loyalist politician on who went to commemorations of loyalist para-militaries and who said there was no alternative to loyalist para-militaries?

Why so many Northern republicans on the Late late?

That would be as interesting a guest as MoN was because those politicians do exist but would not grace a Dublin TV studio.

There aren't that may northern republicans on the show, that's a myth of your own paranoia and othering.

The fact here is, you don't get to dictate who the guests are and as has been pointed out, get to make up shite about 'no balance'. You don't like the show...switch off.

You think Carl Frampton's a catholic?

Are you really that uninformed?

Apart from that, what I'm getting from your post is that you think there should be no political comments on the Late Late show.

Is that the case? Or is it just no political comments that you personally disagree with?

15 years ago a good friend of former IRA member Martin McGuinness had a very high profile interview on the Late Late. Do you think that he also should not have appeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Good to see that they're watching RTE on the Shankill these days! The fact that you think James Nesbitt is a catholic shows what bollocks you are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Listen up folks.

It doesn't matter if Nesbitt is a Buddhist, Frampton a Muslim or Rea a Quaker.

They were all first class guests on the Late Late Show.

All Irish people who have made a name for themselves and who most people would be interested in hearing from.

Still laughing at RTE staff phoning ‘RA supporters offering free tickets! 😁😁

Actually for tickets for the Late Late show, you have to fill out an application form, before you are chosen by the Republican Late Show. If you are chosen. On the application form you give your name, occupation, social media user name / profile ( FrancieBrady), tell ask you to tell them about yourself, after that they ask you your passion / hobbies, after that they ask you your dream late late show guests, after that they ask you who is your Irish hero etc etc.

So FrancieBrady, no wonder you, with over 50,000 posts on boards for SF, can join your comrades in the audience on the Republican Late show no bother and whoop and cheer all you like. Kielty has had plenty of guests on giving their Northern Republican slant on politics McLean, McAleese (who once had to apologize for her slur comparing Protestants to Nazis), O'Neill, Rea ( who was who was married to Dolours Price, an IRA member, who was the one who once described how Mr Adams ordered her to ferry captives, including Ms McConville, across the Border to be murdered) etc. I'd be surprised if you were not in the audience already, if not in the green room.

Gay Byrne would have had a more balanced Late late, no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Advertisement

Not really, everything I said about the Late Late show is true, the application process ( I corrected FrancieBrady who thought the Late Late just phoned up a few - no doubt some of the guests were family and friends but I enlightened him about the method used for choosing any other guests), etc etc.

You fill in a form and then a member of the team will contact you. I know this.

So for the Late Late Show to have 'RA supporters' in the audience they would have to go through the applications and find the forms with 'I'm a 'RA supporter' 'Gerry Adams is my hero' on them and then one of the team would have contacted them (it says it there on the website) and invited them on. For one guest. 😁😁😁

You are wrong yet again. You do not have to be as obvious as saying ""I'm a 'RA supporter" or "Gerry Adams is my hero". Each applicant can apply for 4 guests. On the application form you give your name, occupation, social media user name / profile ( FrancieBrady on boards would suit you, given you have 50,000 or 60,000 posts for sf ), they ask you to tell them about yourself, after that they ask you your passion / hobbies, after that they ask you your dream late late show guests, after that they ask you who is your Irish hero. You do not have to say Gerry Adams is your hero - after looking at your social media profiles, your passions / hobbies, your dream late late show guests etc, I'd say they would have a fairly good idea who your heroes are.

No surprise the audience were whooping on cue. Every time, as someone else said.

Gay Byrne would have been far more balanced. He would have have a more balanced selection of guests on who commented on N.I. politics, from McLean to McAleese to O'Neill to Rea etc - if he had to have Northerners on to comment on N. I . politics. And he would have interviewed them properly.

Wow, RTE staff are doing a real deep dig on applicants to fill an audience with 'RA supporters' for one guest??? Just Wow!

Gay Byrne was good, but he is dead and gone sadly. Was as opinionated and biased on certain subjects as anyone TBH

Well known to have 'views' planted in the audience and on the panels of his shows to ambush guests. Ask Annie Murphy or Gerry Adams about that. Both of those guests schooled him though.

Over the years the LLS threads on Boards have always been good value for the odd laugh but this is hilarious.

I've a picture in my head of an RTE employee sifting through LLS audience applications and depositing each one in turn into 1 of 2 outboxes entitled "Ra" and "non-Ra" 😂

Actually given the amount of work involved "looking at your social media profiles, your passions / hobbies, your dream late late show guests etc" and given that these applications have to be sorted in a matter of a couple of hours (when did people even know that Michelle O'Neill and Chief Commander Rea were going to be on?) it must be a team of 20 doing the sorting!!! 😁

The RTE staff on the Late Republican show do not have to do a "deep dig" on those who fill in the application forms / the family and friends of guests. Would be a fairly easy dig. Especially considering virtually all of the people who he has had on his show commenting about N.I.Ireland politics have been Republicans, from McLean to McAleese to O'Neill to Rea etc 

True, one of the most bizarre allegations about RTE I have ever heard and my goodness have there been some allegations.

I'll leave Francis to it. Don't want to bog down another thread with her paranoia's.

If Kielty wanted to be even handed, he should have had the other joint minister on, Emma L.P. That is what Gay Bryne would have done.

You do not think there were Republicans whooping and clapping on cue on the Late Late last Friday night? Then listen again.

Advertisement