Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I enjoyed it, he was a bit nervy, naturally but I'm in for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very mediocre

Very tilted line up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I think once Patrick gets a few shows under his belt and settles in he'll be absolutely fine. I like how its a little less formal and less pretentious than the previous show. He obviously has a great sense of humour but will be able to manage the more serious topics aswell. The northern gags and references he might do less of as they will get a bit tiring. He dosent insert himself into every discussion like Tubridy odes and lets conversation happen naturally so it dosent feel as forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im actually in shock that I sat through a whole episode of the LLS!

RTE did something right by giving the job to Kielty......far more likeable and genuine than the previous host.

And he will get alot better as the weeks go on.....

The big problem he has is.....the guests will get worse....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

saw no 'fatties' on there 😃 but barrin' that, ye'd be scratchin' your head wondering 🙂

was there a "big guest" due on? none that I seen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

While agree with everything you said 110%...I'm a compulsive liar, which isn't taking away from your in depth, logical and insightful utterances.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

In an ideal world for the production team, who do you think they would have had on? Surely an international celebrity of some sort. Maybe someone over from London - a Stephen Fry, perhaos. And of the Irish big guns - Paul Mescal, Sally Rooney, Bono..? I wonder if your one Roisin Murphy would have gone on if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The real question though is how much was the still photographer paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AJB39

The article makes a good point about the Hollywood actors strike contributing to the lack of A list stars on the show. I don’t agree with having stronger human interest interviews on the show though. I don’t want any human interest interviews on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

I think it was James Mcclean.

Tbh I forgot that the show runtime had been shortened and thought the special guest was coming out next.

They need to come up with some sort of short end of show segment.

Without the phone call to the prize winner, the shows ending felt a bit all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ryan Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The last 13 years were all but a dream 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Saoirse Ronan and Paul Mescal have a film out next month. I’m sure the Late Late will be gutted if they can’t get them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Me too. I thought the the Ladies football team was on the way after James.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 86,465 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

dam strait AJB39 - none of these depressing "human interest" stories

well, mebbe just the one every ~3/4 episodes or so. even that'd be too much. but it'd keep a certain demographic tuned in i suppose

some people just seem to love misery; there be any amount of other shows across the two channels all week long for a solid 20 minutes of depression talk

thought today's show was mediocre, but Paddy had fair crap 'tools' (pun intended 😂) to work with

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

Very happy with Paddy's first late late,Areal step up from Ryan Tubberware,I just hope for better guests to help him settle in.

• The guy is very likeable, and that is totally on account of his sincerity, this can hold us patient as he beds in. In my view he will of course have an initial curious l audience, followed by a fall as the curious go elsewhere, whilst potential word can catch on in broader broader society that the newer guy is different to Tubridy in a positive way. But all remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

New host but the same show with the same format and the same predictable lineup. Bit of craic to break the ice, an ex-president to oversee proceedings, one for everyone in the audience, the viewers comp, couple of local gobshites, and a well liked sports player with a sad and happy story. I was hoping with PK's wifes connections we might have got at least a B lister. Hector was very very quet!

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus, it would have been some interview to get some of them on to get the inside scoop on the Pauw exit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Decent job, it's never easy to start. I would say that Ryan's start was a lot more less nervous though:

I like keeping the guests on together. He would do well to study how Graham Norton handles that and links everyone up.

But I'd lose the opening jokes. They're supposed to break the ice but instead, for me at least, the opposite happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Solid first show.

Addressed the scandal at the top with jokes and a few sly digs at the most trusted man in Ireland

Seemed genuinely proud to have the gig and proved it with his nerves which will fade in no time

Actual rapport and an ease with guests which we haven't seen since Pat Kenny's time. No problem with people going off scripts and always able to slip in a witty ad lib.

McClean wasn't a misery segment. He's a millionaire footballer who gets some grief from hooligans at matches. He wasnt crying about it and didn't want anyone else to. It's a political issue for Nordies, not a "Oh poor you, are the nasty meanies being mean?" perspective which is the way Tubridy would have framed it. A misery segment is dragging on a young person with cancer and feigning emotion to drive ratings. That was the previous guy.

I think once he settles in and on the odd week when he has an interesting guest or maybe a big ticket topic to cover, he's going to be great. His sincerity is real, not a contrivance and that's half the battle as LLS host, in my book.

He didn't even overegg the Toy Show pudding. Just did his bit and moved on without breaking into tears or a song for the children of Ireland.

Fair play to him. The LLS is watchable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Excellent start to his tenure.

There are remnants of his old BBC chat show but he has still surprised me with how well he did.

Just to pick up on one point, I absolutely l0athe the group/couch chat format that Norton has. It's impossible to follow and the big characters always overshadow the other 1 or 2 guests that are present.

I really hope they just did this for PK's first LLS show and it will revert to one on one going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Didn't watch, with Kielty in the hot seat did they change up the interviews which mainly under Tubridy was someone about to die or had someone close to them that died or some semi famous person promoting a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I had a very open mind about this. I thought it the best LLS in my adult life.

Nothing pretentious, no interruptions because the host wasn't getting air time.

Honest tv, nice lad trying his best to deliver a great show. Not trying to be Gaybo, Graham or American ... Happy to tune in next week.

👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Did RT do anything on his social media to wish RTE, The Late Late Show or Patrick Kielty a ‘best of luck’ with the new show ?

Advertisement