Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah right now it’s a Schrödinger’s box. It’s could be brilliant or it could be shíte. Everyone will end up tuning in to open the box and see! Publishing a lineup now just ruins the whole thing and will probably cost them viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what is he doing in that radio ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

We could have tom cruise ..Donald trump David Beckham and santa clause .all on the show. But yet no body would give a toss or even remember what they talked about..cos everyone will occupied by how the new man will present the show ..his demeanour. His performance basically the whole package..so yes ..we probably mite only get the tea lady and a few usual drop ins ...so let's not get stressed over what personalitys appear or not appear..the eyes and ears will be on Mr kielty. For Friday night..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I have never seen it so muted/low key ... no hype ... not much promo ... by now there'd be some guest mentioned or at very least rumoured ... you can be sure no big name is coming ... there rarely are any and most of the good ones are dead or will never be here ... it is very clear what is going on with RTE's finances .... clearly that is the reason for why the current promotion of TLLS is so muted ...

Exactly .... the format and esp type of guest is the MAIN problem ... let's take a quick look ...

Format ... I believe not everything has to be live ... have a hybrid show ... scrap the house band and the silly intro they give to guests ... this costs money and adds nothing ... end that Valentines special ...

Type of guest ... RTE canteen guests promoting their wares needs to go ... the Bannon, Baz, etc. show ... music needs to be broadened ... nothing to my taste has been promoted ... I'm sure there are singers out there doing the classics from Elvis, Charlie Rich, Ray Charles, et al ... but RTE insist on all that modern stuff written by these acts themselves ... often they cannot write ... I'm sick of Dermot Nepotism, Imelda May, boybands and talent show winners singing songs written by ex boyband singers ... Tubridy turned the LLS into something smutty ... that needs to end ... all that Luv Island/Maura Higgins worship and that smut masquerading as comedy too ... all needs to end ... the misery slot needs to be replaced with more inventive debates/discussions ... health related issues should get its own programme like Check Up years back ...

• Advertisement

• Kielty has known misery in his own life, but he’ll more than likely avoid bringing too much of it onto the LLS, or not let it be the main focus of his guests as happened too often during Tubridy’s watch and made heavy weather of what should be mostly an entertaining show.

• Tubridy turned the LLS tabloid, Valentines special is such cringe. He was not a presenter with much intellectual depth, so red top content was about the height of what he could deal with most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

As we’ve seen with Tommy Tiernan on a Saturday night, you can have an extraordinary conversation….. with an ordinary person.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One of the shítest things Tubbers did with TLLS (and there were many) was releasing the whole guest list in advance.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

True. Suspense was part of the enjoyment of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Hobbidy could have released a script in advance, such was the surplus of preparation and lack of spontaneity that characterised his reign of mediocrity.

Post edited by Pelvis Parsley on

I think describing RT as a mediocre host is being far too kind tbh

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kim_Lee

There are loads of oddballs in Ireland who would make Gold Late late show guests, just imagine how memorable episodes would be, if they had The Burkes from Castlebar, Gemma O'Doherty, John Waters, The library protesters on having a debates with the other side

It would be fun seeing far right conspiracy nutters on the Late Late Show .... watch them contradict themselves ... e.g. Covid 19 does not exist at all and is the plandemic one minute .... the next Covid 19 was manufactured in a lab by the EU to kill us all ... and watching th em try to reconcile the 2 !!!

Under Tubbers that was not done ... Tubbers wanted safe vapid topics with absolutely no substance ... Vogue Williams all night long would suit him just fine ... RTE have just decided to ban the above far right ... I do not support the above but believe media would serve us better by allowing us to see them for what they really are ... ironically banning them gives them more allure and status ...

Bigtime agree ... that Valentines special is among the worst 2 hours of TV ever made ... no intellectual depth as right ... have to agree with that bigtime ... I used to dislike Pat Kenny's LLS's but Tubridy made him look perfect !!!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm thinking Liam Neeson or Darren Clarke tomorrow. Neeson has a new film out, Clarke for Ryder Cup chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm guessing Vera Pau, Christy Dignam's daughter, the Wolfe Tones and either Jedward or Dustin.

M

The Wolfe Tones with a proper tune would be box office 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

My guess is Ant & Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have always thought not announcing guests beforehand (as apparently they used to do years a go) is a really good strategy given it means people actually have to tune in just to see whose on.

Are they going back to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Wolfe Tones vs Joe Duffy pt 2. If you’re going to get canteen guests you might as well make it interesting. Duffer launched a one man campaign to have them cancelled a few weeks ago in Liveline. Derek Warfidnd was on the same show being lambasted for singing rebel songs.

There bit my cup of tea really but it’s a free country and they’re as entitled to sing whatever they want as much as the next fella. They send to have a large audience so good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,471 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure it's been said but Permanent TSB are sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭CH3OH

just for 2 years........ not Permanent.

Sean Quinn would be an interesting guest. and he is flogging a book

I think someone like those and the NI connection will be used too. I can see a turn away from the rte staff regulars we were used to.

M

Sean Quinn also in the news this week, he has a book out, another possible.

This thread is going to be bonkers this evening - welcome to the autumn season of what I’m hoping will be a much improved late late show.

He can now fit in with the deluded, conspiracy theorists etc section!

I’d be surprised if he didn’t make an appearance - it’s an obvious one alright.

But as other posters have said they’ll be a lot more NI people making an appearance over the whole season than ever before

• Advertisement

*closes bank account*

Oh wait, Tubbers is gone.

*reopens bank account*

Advertisement