Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Even the trailer for his show would turn me off it, somehow people outside Ireland liked his mother show, i've always thought he was an annoying moron

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I thought Patrick's comments that when he first moved to the UK when he met the neighbours they couldn't understand him and thought he was there to quote them a new driveway might have got complaints from a certain cultural crowd, he seems to have escaped them 🤣

The new format of having 4 guest slots and 1 music slot means they are saving 1 guest slot and a music slot each week so will perhaps have a bit more to go on reasonable guests before they need to resort to harvesting the TikTok one hit wonders for guests.

Baz, Vogue and Jimmy Nesbitt... that would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

McDonald's is very popular too, doesn't mean it's good food. She's a self centred dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always liked Jimmy Nesbitt to be fair.

Then again, us Nordies stick together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He is a chat show host's dream.

Perfect timing and practices self deprecation as a fine art.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I joked earlier that Tony Holohan would probably be on.

Reading posts here I see he was indeed. I was going to watch this on the player but with Vacuous and the curve flattener I'm out.

RTE need to get their shıt together and get decent guests. They have the first decent presenter since Gay and they send this dross out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Leave the decent guests on longer, I like Alan Quinlan, but he's obviously a bit reserved so maybe keep on the likes of Nesbitt to break the ice a bit. What was great about the Gaybo era was the talk would often run on with a Hodge podge of guest staying and giving their opinions more openly than maybe in a 1on 1 format.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I have to admit I like James Nesbitt. I think he is a very underrated actor. He's done more in his career that warrants a place on the Late Late couch than Baz, Vague and that young athlete. I've forgotten her name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ciara Mageean definitely deserves a place, a multiple medal winner in European and international games.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I did not see that, couldn't be bothered watching it all. Cringeworthy Friday evening entertainment.

Pity PK cannot get interesting, international guests. He is trying to be like Norton but is not succeeding.

A bit like RTEs Wanderly Wagon (in its time) tried to be entertaining, but then the imported muppet show showed everyone what real entertainment was, and was a million times more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That seems to be his stick.

When all else is failing fallback on the fenian / troubles dark humour stuff. I think that's going to wear out quick enough.

It's a damning indictment on the LLS that the Johnnies / Baz / Holohan and Vogue Williams have been guests.

Why they are persevering with something that was outdated and finished 10 years ago is a disgrace in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

"An average of 548,000 people watched Patrick Kielty’s second episode as host of The Late Late Show, a drop of more than 33pc compared to his debut, according to RTÉ figures. Week one of the Patrick Kielty era drew an average audience of 830,000 and a peak viewership of 940,000 at one time. Last Friday’s programme enjoyed a 51pc audience share on television, down from the 62pc share drawn by Kielty’s first outing."

I don't believe 548,000 people tuned into this show, perhaps a freedom of information request on Sky / Virgin to find out exactly how many households tuned into this, how many tuned in for 30 seconds, how many had tuned out after 30 mins to an hour and how many actually watched from end to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭squonk

I know we all blamed Tubbs for the demise of TLLS and, in fairness, a lot of that blame does fall at his feet but it’s clear now that it wasn’t a solo run by him either. I didn’t stay the the entire show but there were 2 interesting guests last Friday. James Nesbitt and Ciara McGeehan. The rest were the sorts of guests you’d get on to kill a show. Vague & Baz… when are they bit off the telly? Dr Tony… we did the Covid thing and TYFYS but Covid took up enough of our lives and we’d all like to move on now and definitely don’t want to be reminded of it all in a Friday night after a hard week. Is it a 2 year contract PK has? I can see him walking away at the end of it already. I can’t imagine he’d want to spend more of his life officiating over this dross every Friday night. That’s even before the return of the country music special. For god sake, whoever originated these specials needs to be fired ASAP. Time was a LLS special was memorable, like the Dubliners one or the Chieftains, and they didn’t happen often. No doubt we’ll have the valentines special back and I really hoped PKs arrival would mean that the Eurovision special would end and RTE would start taking the competition seriously. No chance now. I won’t even go into how awful the performances were for last years competition. Bloody hell!

RTE have to keep the numbers inflated for advertising purposes. I'd bet though the marketing people with these companies are doing there on homework on it.

No way do half a million people tune in to see z list RTE has beens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There's a promo shot of pk and vogue, nesbit and baz

Baz is purposely making a protest face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I wonder could McGregor go back on it to try win back some fans with an interview showing his success and jovial side, or has too much bad sh1t happened that can’t be recovered??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

After listening to vague for a while you’d be less than enthusiastic too. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

So Conor, I see you’ve tripled the rent on the barbers next door to the slop house you run, forcing them out of business after 70 years.

I can see the crowds flocking back to support him.

Taking bets on the guest list for next Friday Late Late. My bet it's Mary the dinner lady from the RTE canteen followed by Mick the Janitor and a special appearance by Paddy from security 😀

The PK late late has been a disappointment for me.

The shift needed was in calibre of guest. What we're getting is Baz, Vogue and too many NI guests. Going by population 1/5 guests should be NI out of the population, north and south. I'd say we're easily at 50%.

It looks like a trend of poor canteen guests and too many NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Once I saw Vague, Kathryn Thomas and Baz were on together I was never tuning in, as went for 1/3 of the initial audience.

Guests are everything so if this is what we are being offered for the year they should throw their hat on it. Quite desperate to head for the canteen in week two.

So who will be on this week?

Pat short?

Keith duffy?

Some crappy politician?

It is absolute pox lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

Keith is a guarantee, I think his Turkey teeth show starts this week.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Michael Healy Rae on it.

Maybe a female Irish soccer player or two after their games this week.

Joe Brolly, Michelle O'Neill, Ian Paisley Jnr, Nell McCaffrey, Shane Duffy (footballer), Brooke Scullion, Jimmy McGuinness, Van Morrisson, Liam Neeson, Rory McIlroy, Kenneth Branagh, Bronagh Gallagher, Gerry Adams, Arlene Foster, Eddie Irvine, Carl Frampton, Pat Jennings, John Lynch, Linda Martin, Darren Clarke, Neil Hannon, Rory Best, Andrew Trimble, David Humphreys, Jamie Dornan, Adrian Dunbar, Willie John McBride, Mike Gibson, Philomena Begley, Susan McCann, Willie Anderson, Eric Bell, Peter Canavan, Phil Coulter, Nadine Coyle, Peter Canavan, Oisin McConville, George Hamilton, Derry Girls, Brian Kennedy, Juliet Turner, Neil Lennon, John Kelly, Gerard McSorley, Fergal Sharkey, Doug Beattie, Colum Eastwood, Sam Neill, Stephen Rea, Rhonda Paisley, Brendan Rodgers, Denis Taylor, Norman Whiteside.

I've a feeling one of the above could be on the Late Late on Friday. And half of the above will be on the show by May 2024 😁

I'll still stick with Mary the dinner lady from the canteen. After all she does cook excedenly good dinners for the golden celebration in RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

She said: “Two of my kids are Protestant and one is Catholic, which I actually didn't know. “My mother-in-law, she organised the first two christenings and I organised the last one. So, we've got a very mixed household.

vogue said that on live tv.

Advertisement