Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The show and it's host is not there to be directed by you or me. If you want that role get involved in production.

You won't be watching anymore so your tender ears are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I do not want the role of television producer. What is clear though is the licence payer inc me switched off in hundreds of thousands.

Our "tender ears" as you call them want to be entertained by something better, more balanced, better guests, more entertaining...like Gay Byrne used to do, in fairness to him.

Over half a million watched. Not bad for any show in current broadcasting climate.

We of course don't know how many tuned in to the first show hoping to see him fail and didn't come back when he carried it off.

People watch telly for a variety of reasons as you know, some even watch it hoping to hear their perspective endorsed, and get upset and turn off if it's not, would you believe that!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Joe.ie used to publish the Guest list for the Late Late. I wonder have RTE decided 🤔 let's be careful we don't want viewers tuning out by releasing the canteen guest list before the show starts. Let's keep them guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In Gay Byrne's time, the LLS guests were never revealed before the show. Some shows were total turkeys but others were outstanding. Enough were of the latter, to keep the punters talking all week -'Did you see the LLS, well ---'.

When Tubbs was presenting the LLS joe.ie always published the guest list. That's where I would check out the guest list and if I didn't like some of the guest I would record the show and skip through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

Rory will probably be concentrating on the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’m sure some of the lads in ISIS and Al Queda were lovely boys too.

• Advertisement

It's a bit like condemning a French civilian (McClean is an Irish civilian) for saying the German army were terrorists because the vast majority of German soldiers where just soldiers doing their job.

Nothing at all like France, and it you want to look at France it was the British army who helped get the Nazis out of France, not McClean in his balaclava - the French would have laughed at him the same as the Nazis probably did to Sean Russell before he died in mysterious circumstances on the german submarine. Were to going to bring him back to Ireland? No.

McClean, who thought it was funny to be wear a paramilitary type balaclava in front of children, should remember that there was no excuse for the pira. As someone else said "The Northern Ireland Constitution Act of 1973 actually established the consent of the people principle, ie, the constitutional status of NI could only change if a majority in NI agreed to it. This was restated in the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985, the Downing Street Declaration of 1993, and finally in the 1998 agreement. Pity it took so long for SF and the IRA to eventually arrive at accepting this, not to mention the thousands of lives lost for nothing during that period." Pity Kiely did not ask McClean about his balaclava, now that would have made a boring soft interview good tv. An opportunity missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭Gusser09

But there was a legitimate excuse for the PIRA. Look at Bloody Sunday. Look at the multiple atrocities committed by the British army. Look at the collusion between between the British agencies and the loyalist paramilitaries. Look at internment without trial.

Their crimes were absolutely abhorrent but more focus should be on the British government and their crimes against civilians in the North.

What should Catholic and Nationalist people have done back then when a genocide and ethnic cleansing was being waged against them?

The British think it is funny to do fake Nazi's salutes and stereotype Germans for their comedy programmes. McClean made a joke using a balaclava. Zero difference really.

Now please address where the difference is in what I said:

It's a bit like condemning a French civilian (McClean is an Irish civilian) for saying the German army were terrorists because the vast majority of German soldiers where just soldiers doing their job.

Nobody would condemn a French civilian calling the Germans terrorists, because the Germans verifiably terrorised French civilians. Ditto British troops in NI.

The shot dead many innocents in McClean's home town and verifiably were involved in collusion and the terrorising of civilians. Those are facts. Facts Kielty knows are true and verifiable and unchallengeable.

You can believe those facts and hate the IRA. Something you need to come to terms with.

You are forgetting that the pira ramped up tensions by bombing and murdering before Bloody Sunday. That is not to excuse Bloody Sunday or the people murdered during the rioting then. A day or two before Bloody Friday there was 2 policemen ( one catholic + 1 protestant) murdered in Derry. Tensions were high. Do not forget that Fr. Edward Daly ( who later became Bishop) testified that he saw Martin McGuinness with a submachine gun during bloody Sunday. That did not make Fr. Daly popular with nationalists in Derry when he said that. Anyway both sides made mistakes. After '73 there was definitely no excuse for violence. As said earlier

"The Northern Ireland Constitution Act of 1973 actually established the consent of the people principle, ie, the constitutional status of NI could only change if a majority in NI agreed to it. This was restated in the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985, the Downing Street Declaration of 1993, and finally in the 1998 agreement. Pity it took so long for SF and the IRA to eventually arrive at accepting this, not to mention the thousands of lives lost for nothing during that period."

'The IRA caused Bloody Sunday'?

You should go on the Late Late and posit that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

The 2 frans be like.

The paratroopers should not have been sent in to Derry on Bloody Sunday to try to police the March / Riot. Even if some believed they were being shot at they should clearly not have shot in to the crowd.

Do not forget a day or two before Bloody Friday there was 2 policemen ( one catholic + 1 protestant) murdered in Derry. Tensions were high, if that had not happened I believe Bloody Sunday may not have happened.  Fr. Edward Daly ( who later became Bishop) testified that he saw Martin McGuinness with a submachine gun during bloody Sunday....what was Martin McGuinness doing out with a sub machine gun that day? We will never know for sure.

Not surprised you love talking about Bloody Sunday rather than hundreds of pIRA atrocities against Protestants.

😁 I mentioned Bloody Sunday in a list.

You are trying to mitigate what happened.

You are trying to tell people that their actual lived experience was not what they experienced at all.

Good luck with that.

It was Guesser09 who mention Bloody Sunday and you added "The shot dead many innocents in McClean's home town". Did not see your list.  

Millions of people had actual lived experiences.  Incidentally what do you think was Martin McGuinness doing out with a sub machine gun that day, as witnessed by Fr. Daly? That does not excuse the shooting by the other side, by the way. There wre a few policemen killed in Derry a day or 2 before, do you think that was the plan again? we will never know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭archfi

Another thread absolutely ruined.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

P.S. They shot dead many more in McClean's home town other than Bloody Sunday.

They also interned 100's without trial, and generally terrorised the community - same in Belfast and elsewhere. They even terrorised my community in the south, frequently crossing the border, overflying the town at night and intimidating and even shooting dead people at checkpoints who just wanted to go about their business in their own country.

set up another thread on it if you want, you can discuss that and the internment without trial of 150 Republicans here South of the border by our government during the failed IRA border campaign of '56-'62 etc.

Back on topic, hope the quality of the Late Late guests improve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

@FrancieBrady @Francis McM Stop this. Right now.

The two of you have completely sidetracked and hobbled this thread with your constant back & forth. As usual. Wind it up, take it elsewhere 'cos it ain't welcome here - on the Late Late Show thread of all places.

Start the bickering again and you get cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Were any canteen staff guests announced for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Tom cruise and Tom hanks are joined by Julia Robert’s to talk movies and the beginning of the end of the writers strike

with music from shakira.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And then we all woke up as Keith Duffy walks out to tell us about his Turkish teeth. 🤣🤣

TBH if I wanted a shallow, PR'ed interview with one of those, Norton would do me. The staged aspect of what they say is very transparent on Norton. I remember several times a big celeb doing the rounds and appearing on Norton and telling a yarn that appeared to be off the cuff and spontaneous then turn up on The Late Late and tell the exact same story, the exact same way. So obvious that the host was working to a set of questions handed to them by the PR person.

I'd prefer if the Late Late played to it's strengths and not go down the glossy celeb road.

• Advertisement

With the writers stike at an end. I'm sure to RTE and PKs delight there must be some A listers PK and his producers can nab over the comming weeks and months.

Advertisement