Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for Ryan Tubridy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We'll see how good his agent actually is now. Trying to find him a new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Like he tried on BBC R2 when Graham was in holidays a couple of times? The listeners hated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

He should just stick up the odd podcast and test the waters. If it doesn't work out, buy a nice villa in some sleepy little town in Portugal and enjoy his millions.

He always said he would love to live a quiet life in Connemara.

He might get the opportunity sooner than he thought he would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

Ah no, they'd constantly be at his front door going "You're no Gay, I tell ya".

• Advertisement

• The 3 short streets of Clifden could get very tedious in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Peter O'Mahony is claiming copyright. The original 'you're no Richie McCaw'.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

jail for tax evasion & fraud Id hope !

I honestly don't think he is guilty of either, so he's safe from that.

Tax avoidance perhaps, but that's not illegal.

If fraud did occur, I'd say more chance it was by NKM or rte employees.

As for what's next for Tubs, going to predict he will show us some tears this week. Just a few, or if not, definite signs of getting emotional.

He'll be well coached in how to act. And a few tears or being overcome with emotion might just be enough to get a certain amount of forgiveness from a lot of the public. To try to save his career, cos he is in a bad place at present, coming to the committee and acting Johnny Big Bollix ain't going to cut it.

Plus he'll offer to pay a large sum to charity. Maybe not the full 345k, but maybe 100k.

• Advertisement

• I’d be extremely surprised if he doesn’t pull out the tears card. “Never for one moment could I have anticipated this turn of events, it has had a profound effect on my family…”

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

Thats the problem with us Irish we are too forgiving if i funnelled away 350K you can bet i'd get jail time tax evasion is just that a crime against us tax payers. Never liked the scrawny bollox lovely to see him squirming. Gay Byrnes money was robbed by his accountant so his lecgacy is not tarnished but Tuibs made sure to get all his money and his legacy is fraudulant statements to the irish public on taking a pay cut and funnelling it through bogus consultant fees. Karma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I saw on a news article that “someone close” to him and the agent said he had filled in for “several big names” in the U.K. and that the “audience loved him” and no one cares what happens in Ireland.

This confused me until I read your post, which makes more sense.

Did Norton recommend him to his bosses as a temporary replacement during holidays? Clever - pick a guy who has no chance of robbing your job while you are away,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If he finds work he'll get paid what someone is willing to pay him.

As an entertainer he's not going to get much here so he'll have to follow through on his threat to find work elsewhere.

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t genuinely think that he has the sort of personality that would go down well in the UK… they love that OTT upbeat sort of Chris Moyles, Chris Evans sort of matey personable personality, I don’t think he has that... The LLS with him is very scripted and formulaic.. his humour is anecdotal, he has no great wit. He offers little to the audience himself he is just a facilitator and interviewer…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Noel Kelly and Ryan Tubridy can get 500k a year from Bauer Media or the BBC or Gobal who been taking on quiet a few of the BBC presenters then more power to them.

He doesn't have the name value or gravitas to walk into a top job in the UK so will he be willing to start somewhere on a middle rung of UK talent who won't want him there.

More than like he will end up one of the Bauer stations in Ireland making very good money but nowhere near what he was making at the national broadcaster.

Or maybe he will go off and write another JFK book and try and break America and take Donie's spot at CNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I didn't see much of the Committee hearings yesterday, but it seems to me that he was trying to do a balancing act, between saying 'it's all RTE's fault & look the 'untruths' they published about me' versus 'I might be out of my radio job by Friday but please please keep me on Mr Bakhurst' . Time will tell if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Death Notices on Tipp FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There's a couple of Tipp people on the committees he'd love to announce.

• Advertisement

So tubridy didn’t do too before the committee? And questions asked about the toy show charity.

Did they not even prepare for it? I mean they had weeks to get their story straight and agent/manager said “RTÉ should have asked me before publishing” and not in the last few weeks had he given any thought to excuse for not doing anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Don't know .... but he has said himself he was never in Vienna .... on his last to date radio show ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If he fattens himself up and grows a beard there will be a bit of work for the Toyman in December.

Do Renault manufacture sleighs?

🦌🦌🛷🎅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭spuddy

Given the facts of the situation, if Bakhurst lets him back on air after this, he can say goodnight to any chance of rebuilding RTE's credibility.

The new DG meet Tudridy and "had a good, open, and constructive conversation".

I hope that means he told Tubridy in clear terms to eff right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I worry that it means the opposite.

Meanwhile, while Kielty gets €250k, the Indo today states:

"Kielty's former business partner and director, Stephen Stewart, has been drafted in to co-direct the series from September through to December. RTÉ said it regularly "works with a number of directors and technical staff on a freelance basis alongside its highly experienced in-house teams, based on shooting demands and other production demands”. "

So more money again being spent, for his mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

He's like some cheesy dj from Father Ted, the UK has moved on from that style of presenter these days although I could imagine him on some Partridge-like graveyard slot on a regional station.....or back on RTE1🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭spuddy

It could mean either. What RTE need to remember is that Tubridy is famous because of RTE, not the other way around. As Sean O'Rourke proved when he took over from Pat Kenny, and grew listenership figures, there are plenty more fish in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I heard that the position of Santa is vacant .... Tubridy is perfect for the role of new Santa if he eats lots of Christmas cake between now and then .... only catch is ..... can the world afford the salary of this new Santa??? ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

After watching some of his performance on the PAC, I think he should consider a move into the family business of Fianna Fail and Politics.

Advertisement