Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Have been keeping an eye on the enlarging cell that is about to make landfall in the vicinity of Arklow to Wicklow towns. Cloud tops are increasing over time as well so it's something to keep an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

I personally just want that mucky band in the east to push through as fast as possible really.

Here in eastern NI we seem to have a ways to go yet given more cloud south of Isle of Man. Hoping that stuff breaks up.

Seems to be a cell firing near Castlederg on radar. It’s in front of the band and getting more insolation.

If any of you use Home & Dry app on your phone, I see a recent update now plots lightning on the radar map

Looked for it in the Playstore and all I'm seeing is Home Interiors apps. Can you post a link to the app here, please? Or even send a screengrab of the app icon so it'll give a good idea as to what to look for. Cheers and thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Raining nicely in Rathdrum now, slow steady fine rain giving everything a good soaking and it's not just running off the hard ground. The grass is already looking greener. No thunder or anything with it though.

Here you go :-

Think it costs a few quid if I remember (£2.99 when I bought it a few years back). But no ongoing subscriptions costs.

Has 5 min radar, lightning (current and forecast), plus other data

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Seems to be only for iPhone..... NetWeather Radar app does the same thing

Ah ok. Good app for iPhone users though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A fairly miserable wet afternoon here in Meath, most of it drizzly muck but the odd heavy burst mixed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Robwindstorm

The UK met office only develops heavy rain or thunderstorms around Fermanagh, Tyrone and bordering Donegal. The rest fizzles to nearly nothing for the rest of us and then some redevelopes in the far west after midnight. Interesting to see if they're right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Getting very dark here in carrick

I have an Apple phone that I use just as a camera so I may check it out there. No SIM in it so only of use when on WiFi but thank you anyway.

Edit: I've no payment systems set up on the Apple phone and don't want to enable that option so I'll stick with the apps on my regular phone

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Just rained for a good 1 hour in Ringsend. Pretty steady and consistent rain. Obv not much in the scheme of things but the first bit of relief for the parched ground in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Amazing how localised the rain is! We had about 15 minutes of light rain in Firhouse D24 but fizzled away into nothing.....

Last night out in town was just gorgeous, warm, warm, warm! No breeze and everyone having a good time, it was like being abroad!

Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Rain is steady enough now in D16 was drizzle earlier but not anymore! Very much doubt there’ll be any thunder and lightning here in the east. Perhaps later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dark clouds all around but no rain as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway, some unreal dark looking clouds around

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Raining at a moderate rate now for the last five minutes. I can't see us getting any thunderstorm today, as the sun never got look in prior to the rain.

Edit: The rain is getting fairly heavy now. The drought is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

You'd notice Hugh Middity after arriving the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The east has been removed but northern counties are still in including Leitrim :😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

7mm of rain in that shower and 16c not as warm as other days but getting warmer now. Prob 20c by midnight! Looks increasing wet in the next few weeks. Drought will become flood. I don't care as housebound after hospital surgery for a month so let it rain for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

It was a bust today, as we expected. Met Éireann got it wrong today with an unrealistic warning for 23 counties. Not bashing them, but today they got it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just poured down in Spiddal but no rain showing on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

I think it was 20 counties, and the uk issued a warning for 3, there wasn’t as much as a report of one rumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Ecm looking more progressive tonight. Plenty of rain especially for N Munster, Connacht and much of Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Robwindstorm

There could be fairly hefty showers with embedded thunderstorms from about 4am around southmidlands area and then a quiet spell until the afternoon kicks off some potent thunderstorms through the central spine of the country while the east basks in very warm sunshine . That's my reading of it anyway, let's wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Radar is essentially useless for the entirety of Connaught now. Until the Shannon radar comes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thunderstorms, by their very nature, are extremely difficult to forecast. Warnings are issued for thunderstorms when they may occur, not when they will occur.

Any experience with these warnings will show you that 9/10 nothing materializes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Maybe the wording of 15 years ago was more apt, 'a risk of scattered thunderstorms'. These warnings sum up the times we live in, whereas long ago you would just get on with your business and let the weather do what it wanted! The weather hasn't got worse just the drama queens have increased.

Advertisement