Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

June 13th was the only date since records began in the 1600s in summer in the uk never to reach 30c....until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It just seems the south east has a different set up than the rest of the country today, as elsewhere has much higher humidity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The sun finally started shining from about 2pm, before that it was just low hanging cloud which was beginning to look like it was down for the day.

The 25C is impressive as that is fairly rare in June here in Meath with easterly breezes usually preventing these sort of temperatures until July.

The 29C for Oak Park is most impressive, certainly did not expect that given the readings several degrees lower elsewhere. I wonder is there somewhere near there which may have reached 30C, just that we will never have an official reading for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

29 AT OAK PARK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

fab fab fab day near Trim. well working at the minute, looking out at the fab day but cant wait to get home to the garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

26 in my thermostat in Cork City, blue skies, roasting and beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Humidity is falling away most of the day, lower values quickly spreading east to west. Eastern third much fresher air filtered in now. Relief for all by later if the east -> spread continues apace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Athy Chanterlands climate station will be one close enough by to check out. A very warm station in good weather.

Unfortunate you have to wait an age for it's data, 3 months lag. It previously was awarded it joint highest temperature of 2011 before, it has form. In past warm days it has had a good degree or more on Oak Park.

EDIT: Danno in Durrow has a max of 28.3c. I think Oak Parks was 28.5c rounded to 29c (at least 28.5c is the highest I saw it hit), so it's not isolated. All of the wow stations nearby Oak Park are on 28c too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well unfortunately I was wrong, it's not as good as the one we had last year. The rain this time was not as intense nor was this one near as gusty. Some decent cracks of thunder though, but sadly no fork lightning. I would rate this as a six out of ten storm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

“This week hasn’t delivered “ lol you posted this on a Tuesday morning 🙈 east coast sun with mid to high twenty’s can’t please some people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

From what I can see just 2 stations in the UK and Ireland reaching 29C today Oak Park and Gloucestirshire Airport with Exeter Airport the only place reaching 30C. Makes me wonder now is a 29 or 30C possible tomorrow or Thursday. From Friday it will turn cooler over the weekend with low 20s more generally with low pressure more in control from the weekend into the first half of next week.

It looks likely we may see another warmer/hotter week into the final week of June but that is a long way off.

Getting back to my local temperature of 25C today, that is 2C warmer than the max temperature here last June where I managed to get to 23C so already ahead of June 2022 and we all know how hot it became July 2022, could we be in for widespread 30C+ again this July, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It would have also had the highest temp last year without the Phoenix Park 33.0C with 32.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Yeah, have seen a great increase in visibility now compared to early today when it was very hazy. Dry blue skies to the east, and hazier / cloudier skies to the west.

I think it will be hard to hard 30c tomorrow with 850's dropping from 12c today to 10c tomorrow. It would be really pushing it to hit 30c with 10c at 850. Although granted the ground is really dry and warm, and sun amounts could be high tomorrow. But I still think it is unlikely to be reached.

Can literally see a big dome of haze when looking to the west from here. Miles away but huge and covers the whole SW / W horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just left an air-conditioned building in cork, unbelievable heat. Car reading 27 but know that isn't the most accurate but still, time for a drink in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Car was reading 26/27 when I was driving along this afternoon. North wexford/South wicklow. Very warm around here today. What is tomorrow's forecast? My phone is telling me temps will drop back to 20 tomorrow. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Reached 29.2C at my station about 5km away from Oak Park, but my location would be a lot more sheltered. As others said, Chanterlands would be a good bet as it's pretty sheltered and it's more urban than here too being right on the southern edge of Athy town.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Have people questioned the validity of phonenix park given the massive concrete building beside it and the shelter surrounding it?

• Advertisement

Still 25c here at the local airport at 19:30pm. Pretty amazing for mid June! Pretty good any time of summer!

This is going to be a very warm June overall even in the east where the first week was chilly. The temperature anomaly should be making a big recovery now. Looking at the 12z and things stay warm from start to finish but we have a few very warm to hot outliers starting to appear towards the end of June, they are outliers but suggest plume sort of activity.

There is no getting away from the fact that this is going to finish up a very warm June. For western Ireland it could be record breaking if the low to mid twenties persist for the rest of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm glad for those who are enjoying the hot (for here) weather, but it'd be a bit much for me, having to work outside in it. Not even so much the heat, but the humidity which just saps your energy. That close and sticky kind of weather, plus the sun beating down. Temperature in the high teens I always think is the sweet spot - you can wear short sleeves and barbecue and go to the beach and all that, but you're not getting your brain cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway. Lightning made landfall.

If the Oak Park 28.8C is true (I’ve been out all day enjoying it), it will be Ireland’s highest June temperature since Ardfert, Kerry had 29.8C on 27th June 2019.

Durrow was very close with 28.7C too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

not looking great is it, but I s’pose the rain is needed and the thunderstorm thread should be busy ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are you sure that's not some lad burning gorse or bog grass before the real wet weather arrives?

I am still seeing drains that rarely ever dry out with zero water in them. The ground is very dry out west.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. Sure. As soon as there was a bit of lightening, it happened. No sign of anyone else around on binoculars etc.

• Advertisement

Advertisement