Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice in Tralee Town, light breeze, feeling fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Got down to only 10.1c in Cork overnight, which is disappointing for summer, but I personally prefer the cool nights as it allows the house to cool down. The freshness this morning was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Well things improved a good before I left the house in Longford. Got to Kildare about an hour ago and it was very cloudy with a few spits of rain. Brightened up a bit and it's mostly cloudy although the sun is shining as I type.

Meanwhile, back in Longford and it's looking like a nice sunny late morning there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sunny and warm this morning but overcast and a bit damp now after some drizzle.

Unseasonably windy this weekend

Saturday: Unseasonably windy with sunny spells and showers. The showers will be mostly across the west and north. Top temperatures will range from 15 or 16 degrees in the northwest to 21 degrees in the south and southeast, but it will feel a bit cooler in the moderate to fresh and gusty westerly winds which will be strong near northern and northwestern coasts. 

Sunday: Another rather unseasonably windy day with sunny spells and scattered showers. Highs of 15 to 20 degrees, coolest in the west and north. Moderate to fresh and gusty west to northwest winds, will be strong along northern and northwestern coasts. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭ottolwinner

Hate to say it but it will be welcome. The last month to 5 weeks has been stifling hot at times especially at night.

bit of wind will be a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Looking at long range forecasts for next weekend are not great. I'm planning a big birthday BBQ for sat 8th and it looks like muck (14mm rain in afternoon and 16degrees forecasted according to yr.no in South East). Thinking of pushing it to the following weekend, do you think by sat/sun this weekend, we'll have a better idea of the following weekends weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

flew Back in to Dublin this morning. The freshness and the light as usual the 2 big things that hit you. People putting on cardigans and jackets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I am in the same predicament about next weekend. Am very depressed reading this thread

• Advertisement

This month has been Ireland’s hottest June on record, Met Éireann has confirmed.

Met Éireann climatologist Paul Moore said that while an average monthly temperature of greater than 16C had been seen in July and August before, it had never happened in June.

Persistent warm days and nights had combined to keep the heat “well above normal”, he said.

“Although temperatures have fallen in recent days, they will not prevent this June’s record-breaking situation,” Mr Moore said.

“Twenty-three of twenty-five Met Éireann primary weather stations are showing their warmest June on record.

“In early June, cool easterly winds on the east coast meant that Phoenix Park and Dublin Airport stations were cooler but they still show their warmest June since 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely vile morning in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

So June becomes another statistic to add to the ever growing list of heat records........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I actually feel like the summer has already been a long one because of all the great weather in end-May and June. It always help when the good weather starts early. A crap June can really define the rest of the summer as we start to lose light.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dark and manky mist all morning. When they were in school, weather was amazing lol

16⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I feel bad for them, they all getting off school now and the weather has taken a turn but fingers crossed we see an improvement in about 2 weeks time. It's a dirty afternoon here in Meath, a heavy misty drizzle that would soak you in seconds. Days like today are lifted straight out of summer 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Not to mention the wind. A manky, drizzly, windy day. Windy over the weekend too.

Can we have our summer back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It does seems a long Summer in a way because of the fine weather we just had. However for me it will feel even longer if we don't get a settled spell in July. One of the experts on global drivers over on Netweather thinks we could see the jetstream split again later in July which could facilitate a blocking high developing again as low pressure is forced back down towards Portugal. Let's hope she is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Met Éireann climatologist Paul Moore said that while an average monthly temperature of greater than 16C had been seen in July and August before, it had never happened in June.

‘greater’ than 16c ?

I find that hard to believe, Phoenix Park had a mean of 16.0c in June 1976 so I would imagine inland stations were a little higher?

Birr and Kilkenny maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

He means a national average, not individual stations. There have been numerous occasions of individual places achieving that. Shannon had 17.0c in June 2018.

thanks for that, I have to admit I’ve never heard of ‘national average’ being used before

Actually it sounds daft to me, Malin Head and Oak Park have quite a different climate even for such a small island but what would I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

The first miserable day of the summer for sure.

Damp, cold, dull and windy. We have had a few dull or wet days but stull very humid, today actually feels cold.

On plus side, 1st time in a month we won't have to sleep with window open😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

So dark all day. Miserable.

Hope tomorrow brighter.

16⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent day in Greystones. Dry. High of 19.9c. Was in Dunlaoghaire earlier where it was damp/drizzly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Like Winter tonight in Sligo. Wind gusting over 60kph heavy misty rain and 13c. If I woke up and someone said you've been asleep 5 months I'd believe them. Worst night since March I'd say. Last day of June was as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

That wind has certainly stolen some of our radiant heat! Positively chilly

Breezy and overcast. Finner highest gust 10am 67km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's a long-term series since 1900 used for climate change analysis purposes and is based on temperature data from Malin Head, Birr/Gurteen, Phoenix Park, Valentia Observatory and Armagh Observatory as all these have records going back that far whilst it's also reasonably spread out. It was created half a decade ago but data is still not public to my knowledge. Here's the chart they gave showing the temp anomalies (against 61-90) for every June since 1900 using this dataset.

As can be seen the warmest Junes were 2023, 1940, 2018, 1970, 1976, 2006 and 2010.

• Advertisement

I see, I’ve heard of the Poulter Index of best and worst summers.

Advertisement