Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

July 1 high summer and a wind that would skin ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Baltic in east Mayo. Have the fire lit. Shocking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We haven't even started the main event of this cool and unsettled spell, that begins Monday.

Lovely day in Cork City yesterday. Kids in the paddling pool out the back for about three hours. Didn't seem to get the chill other parts of the country had in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

In West Cork, was at an outdoor evening event yesterday, soooo cold!

• Advertisement

I’m just convinced some people don’t feel the cold. This morning is horrible dull breezy cool. As far away from a July day as you could imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am one of those. Very warm blooded - my hands and feet always warm. Good circulation. I actually much prefer cold to hot temps and find it easy to warm up outside. I even love a cold bed. My body seems to regulate quite quickly in cold weather and I absolutely love hill walking in snow during winter. I do struggle with cold water swimming because of the contrast and have to wear neoprene gloves/hat/booties to survive it. I die abroad when the thermostat hits 30. Actually 25+ knocks me out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jaysus, it's very fresh put there this morning!

I will admit it certainly cleared the head after a few beverages last night😉.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a very breezy and chilly morning here in Meath with blustery showers on the way, could be mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dull, cool and a wind that would cut ya in half. Brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This wind can’t get lost soon enough. I’ll take calm cloudy days any day over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

How are the summer dresses doing appledrop? 😀 One of the most galling things for me about a typical Irish "summer" is not being able to wear nice summer clothes. I love my fashion and I love evenings out in Spain in pretty summer dresses, its great for the moral. You'd actually freeze here these nights, so depressing 😔 As KSE pointed out, many Irish people don't feel the cold. While I love a cold winter, anything under minimum 20 degrees in summer is cold for me and 12C at night is positively baltic.😱 Wearing a summer dress in that temp would be like going out in a nightdress!

very breezy here in Meath, the showers seem light enough despite them looking very threatening. More in the way of rainfall over the next few days and a possible washout next weekend. There will be quiet a few reports of fires being lit over the course of the next 7 days.

A possibility of huge rainfall totals over the next week. This July is really shaping up to be a pigs ear. It couldn't be more different than July 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got to 19.2C here today, cool for July but lovely for virtually any other month. Don't see why some are moaning. its Ireland, totally normal summer weather.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The past week hasn't been great but not too bad either, but the coming week definitely looks worse than the past week. This combined with the kids off now from school just as the weather turns is what is annoying some people. The next few weeks does appear to be a good time to quickly book a Spanish holiday to escape the Atlantic mess. The GEM is still playing around with the idea of warm weather next weekend and into the early part of the following week but it's kind of on it's own with that so at the moment i'm not buying into mid 20s next Sunday for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Janey , thought I was sick I was so cold this morning !

Back in socks and jeans for the first time since mid May , brrr .🌬

Definite chill in the air in Cork today. Much cooler than yesterday. Threatened to put on a long sleeved t-shirt but didn't bother in the end. I won't wear anything other than shorts and t-shirts until late September. Definitely warm blooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

All isn't lost we still have mid July ,August and 1st half of September for warmth ,I just want our poxy record beaten at this stage, 35c would do me

Acequion, I've got great wear out of the summer dresses this year, weather was so nice they have all got a few outings! Even on dull days in June it was still so humid.

Now the weather has changed unfortunately so wearning jeans a bit again for first time in about a month or else long dresses with the denim jacket. I don't think you would survive as a women during an Irish summer without your beloved denim jacket😁👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I feel like I've stumbled into an after hours thread 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not much talk of the soil moisture deficits now! I don't mind the wind and cooler temperatures, it's the rain or drizzle almost everyday lately I find most annoying .

Great, just as all the outdoor summer camps start for the kids🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It is fair chilly in Cork City this evening alright! First time in a long while I’ve felt the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A few showers today and breezy but plenty of sunshine. Not a bad day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Enjoyed the day for my outdoor pursuit of mud larking 😀 Breezy and mostly bright day here in Kerry , a few drops in the wind at times, not hot but warm enough slogging through the mud and jumping river banks, got up to 16.4C at my site, cooler as the evening went on and clouded over more, just 13.7C now. Must say I slept great the last couple of nights being that bit fresher. I'm in the Cluedo Monopoly Camp, love the fresh air....love the first cool fresh winds of Autumn, love jumping into a cold bed and has to be cold pillows going to sleep, will even turn them over! hate sitting on a chair that someone else has been sitting on 😁, love cool air in the car etc etc You get the point but I also love a nice summers day and can handle the warmer temps fine once I can retreat from it at times.

Some of the treasure I found in the mud the last couple of days, good that the river levels are low as can get to some hard to reach places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Phone reading 6C here right now!! From where we were 2 weeks ago its quite the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

As a teacher I feel for all the kids who were stuck indoors during all the beautiful weather. All the JC and LC students with long days swotting and longer days in stuffy exam centres while the country roasted. All the primary kids in school up to last week. And now that hols are finally here winter has returned. And there was me certain that 2023 would be a repeat of 1996, it started so early and went on for several weeks. Dream on! 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

11⁰ Meath

Forecast for rain looks awful this week.......and outdoor camps.

• Advertisement

Horrible morning out breezy cool and very showery. I know it’s “normal” summer but still very disappointing.

Advertisement