Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

June was great. However it was playing on me at the time that it couldnt last until the kids finished school when I had a few days off booked. I always imagined that any good spell of weather we have here has to be repaid by a brutal spell of weather after it, well at least up here in the north west anyway.

And alas almost as soon as the children are out of the school gates, autumn arrives with a bang. The wind seems to be showing little sign of abating for a while anyway, seems like it could get quite stormy with a couple of lows over the weekend.

But sure we can only take what ever slices of nice weather we can up here in the North west, and maybe we might get something better later in the summer. Or maybe just in time for when the kids go back to school in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭jonnreeks

My take on the summer weather is that we get warm weather building up towards the longest day 21 of June and then it heads downwards from there on a week or so after. We can still expect some nice warm days in July & August but nothing continuous.

Just my thoughts!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely day so far in Greystones.

Out before the showers/rain forecast for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Heavy rain across the NW with some torrential bursts mixed in. Showers becoming more widespread across the country with a chance of isolated thunderstorms especially across Leinster and east Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like Malin Head had its sunniest month since June 2009 in the June just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Glenveagh weather station recently recorded a rainfall rate of 120mm/hr. The Irish wow site isn’t working for me, the Uk one was and it has the rainfall rate per hour for Irish stations. I never noticed that option on the Irish site before.

Edit Derrybrien in Galway rainfall rate per hour of 223.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

June was amazing and now the last week or so would depress you.

Sometimes we get teased when the sun comes out for 15min and you can feel the heat again, but overall steady drizzle, cool or pouring rain has been the weather for last 7 to 10 days here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Might not be so hot here but...

Chart goes from 1979, presumably we didn't have sat data before then so the headline is a bit click baity but may well be accurate.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Tipperary, Waterford⚠️⛈️

Possible impacts:

Spot flooding

Poor visibility

Difficult travelling conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Was that what caused the Derrybrien bog slide?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at the current radar, happy not to have taken up an offer this morning for a ticket for Def Leppard (this evening). My decision was weather based!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wev had 0.3mm of rain in Sligo so far so the heavy stuff being blown inland by the baltic wind. 14c and cloudy.

12mm for July so far. By this day next week that will be 100mm I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I put the heating on last night for an hour. What happened summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I dont think it was related to the bog slide since it happened nearly 20 years ago now. I presume the WOW station wasnt running in Derrybrien back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Some shower in Terenure - Didn't look big on the radar or judging by the clouds - Appears to have sprung out of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I took off the jumper around the 25th of May and it was off all month of June. I had to put it on during last weekend as the 1st of July hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Can see how it just appeared on the radar now. Radar watching may not suffice in the next couple hours.

You must have some heating bills as the weather is colder for pretty much 80 per cent of the rest of the year.

Just like people who report swampy gardens when the problem is drainage, I would say that's an insulation (or lack of it) issue rather than a weather issue!

You're wrong on all counts.

I'm fighting an infection and also on a blood thinner. Had it on for an hour just go get the damp out....living on a mountain facing the Atlantic does that 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

What's the craic with the increased sea temps and the sea heatwave I'm seeing on the news sites. Does this mean that potential storms this Autumn or winter will have far greater potential to do some damage

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Great to see the Dark Mornings back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just had a look at the met Office deep dive and its looking like it could heat up especially from the 3rd half of July onwards ,here's hoping anyway fingers crossed 🤞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Final week of July could be a time we may get some respite from the unsettled cool conditions but we've along way to go in shifting the current pattern away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

Yesterday was the hottest day ever on record in the world with an average global temperature of 17.01 celsius. Previous record was in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Appalling evening wet cool dark dank shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Met eireann forecast referred to a river of rain off the west coast

First 2 weeks of August will do me for heat. I'm off then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thing is now since climate change influencing weather we could get a warm spell right into early October so there will be a few more before Summer and early Autumn are done just not in the next 2 weeks at least...

Still only 0.3mm of rain in Sligo today but cloudy now so may be a downpour soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes absolutely 💯 because of the high temperatures in the states that's ramping up the jetstream effecting our weather ,unfortunately its a vicious circle

Advertisement