Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just cycled home from pub, christ it could be November out there, you'd need gloves and a hat. I can't remember feeling that cold in July before in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We certainly had this chill at times July 2020, it was a washout month in what was a terrible summer with barely any sunshine, loads of rain and temperatures struggled to get above 19c throughout the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah I heard met mentioning an "atmospheric river" but I'd heard it here first off syranbuen!

It's the most Irish sounding weather phenomenon ever. Truly miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

That was the forecast 2 days ago on RTE. I remember watching it thinking how utterly miserable it looked and sounded

"An atmospheric river of rain" was what they called it.

We also had the rain bingo usuals "heavy bursts" and "an organised band of showery rain". Can't remember if "heavy downpours" was mentioned but that's a regular term too.

Selfishly, I'm thankful I took my two week Irish holiday out west in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

West Waterford heavy rain and cold.

• Advertisement

Lots of reports of rain and heavy showers. Is Cork the only place escaping this? Just 1mm for the month so far (though we do seem to have had a good shower overnight) and three consecutive months of very little rainfall. I think we are running at about 60 per cent of LTA now since April, and way less if you take out the start of April. The land is still very dry where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We have gotten away with it a fair bit in Cork. Its a touch warmer (though not warm) and drier than up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A radiosonde in Nottingham, England yesterday recorded an 850hPa temperature of 2.8C which is a date record low going back to 1997 showing it is a notably cool airmass for early July we are having at the moment. The well above average sea surface temperatures don't matter if it's an airmass as cool as that! Very long fetched all the way from Svalbard as I said in a previous post.

Thursday is almost a textbook example of the "atmospheric river" though not quite. That is simply low pressure with very moist long fetched southwesterly winds. These setups are infamous for giving severe flooding to places like Cork such as in November 2009 and December 2015. Fortunately it's July so if even if there is to be flooding, it will likely subside quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Heavy showers on and off this morning but feeling warm in the sun.

• Advertisement

Lively day across the Netherlands. Red wind warning(Amsterdam included). Gust of over 90mph to the west of Amsterdam. At least two dead and the worst summer storm on record according to the Dutch met and worst overall since January 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain at times on Thursday may cause localised flooding. Rain accompanied by fresh to strong winds will lead to poor travelling conditions. Rainfall totals will be higher in mountainous regions.

Valid: 10:00 Thursday 06/07/2023 to 20:00 Thursday 06/07/2023

Issued: 14:48 Wednesday 05/07/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It wasn't just Cork that had flooding back then. I was out of the country, but was told by people they had never seen rain like it before and it lasted for so long too. I think parts of Galway had flooding issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No, I didn't say only Cork, just that it is infamous for it down there in such setups. Being built on a floodplain does not help. "Deluge: Ireland's Weather Disasters 2009-2010" by K. Hickey is a good read on November 2009 and winter 2009-10 with some of the floodwaters freezing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, I know it's well known for it down there. What stood out to me during that period was areas not normally used to seeing floods had them, including my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There maybe a substantial wind storm on Friday night running into Saturday morning. It looks like the South West would be most at risk of severe winds. The GFS forecast model on Netweather.tv. has been showing it up in the last couple of runs. The latest run would be probably be strong enough to be named. Nothing as strong is showing up on the Atlantic charts on Met.ie. Here is the 2 models disagreeing. Fortunately it is the Met.ie is more reliable than GFS but I am posting as more of a watch than a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Not a bad evening compared to the deluge yesterday evening. There was only one place to be yesterday eventing and that was a sauna box on the Boyne looking out at it.

Pleasant evening now 17⁰ Meath.

What's in store tomorrow? App showing rain from 10am all day eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Just having a quick look at models there..it seems the rain has definitely been downgraded for Friday and Saturday. That atmospheric river looks to definitely be going more out west into the atlantic..The west is still going to get a good sup especially NW. Midlands looks to be the driest area of all.

Anyone else with a more educated view correct me if I am wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not bad a start this morning in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

awful here at loop head. Wind, rain and cold.

The local tourism sectors are going to struggle big time this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd say they'll be alright, most of the hotels are full of Ukrainians!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The coffee shops, restaurants, pubs etc ... are empty. I went into one yesterday that is normally rammed this time of year with people on their holidays and day trippers and there was staff standing around looking for something to do. Its a long winter for those businesses ... anyway thats a story for another thread. The weather is shite!

I'm in Dingle from 12th. Can anyone guess if we might have a return of June's weather by then!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We will still be in a cool and very unsettled pattern by then, could be final days of the month before we see some sort of a break from the Atlantic onslaught. This July is pretty much a full on write off unless we get some sort of unforseen major flip in the models within the next week for the second half of the month.

As for the 12th of July we will still be stuck right under the washing machine effect of this low pressure system which will be sitting rotating over us for the majority of this month. Summer has well and truly packed it's bags and left Ireland for the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

We had our summer this year in mid May to mid june, that pattern has moved on..........doubt we will get such a spell like that again for the rest of the summer.

Despite the sun, the final week of May and first week of June were very chilly and nothing like summer in terms of temperature, certainly here in the east it was 12 to 15c for the majority of that period. Weeks 2 and 3 of June were the highlight and even at that there were some unsettled moments. Week 4 of June is where things began to fall apart with the summer well and truly broken by final day of June. July will most likely finish a poor month. Everything is up in the air for August but if August ends up being in it's very familiar Atlantic driven pattern that we've been used to over the past 20 years then for me at least this could end up being a disappointing summer, certainly far inferior to summer 2021 and 2022. It has to be said the west had a much more successful run of the mid May to 3rd week of June period compared to the rest of the country in terms of temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Here's the rain.

Til September. No well prob have 100-200mm then it might stop.

Persistent moderate to heavy rain and breezy. Locally 12 to 14c at present. Pretty much a mild winters day ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Miserable at Knock Airport. 1.30pm: Wind 140 degrees at 18 knots gusting 32 knots. 5km visibility. Light rain. Broken cloud at 400 feet ,overcast at 1500 feet. Temperature and dew point 12 degrees.

EIKN 061230Z 14018G32KT 100V180 5000 -RA BKN004 OVC015 12/12 Q1000 TEMPO BKN007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Miserable day in cork city. Absolutely pelting down right now, very heavy with brief breaks before more very heavy rain again. Can easily see flooding occuring in some places in a few hours id say

Advertisement