Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I totally agree with Gonzo. This pattern looks very strong and there's no shifting it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it remain most of Summer but do think it will run out of steam in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed and Phoenix Park's records go back to 1855!

Remember too that these stations were below average after the first week and in fact Dublin Airport was almost 2 degrees below average so it's an impressive feat and reflection of just how warm the rest of June was without ever getting exceptionally high.

I don't think we have seen a month as record-breaking warm as June 2023 on a nationwide scale since...? April 2011? July 2013?

The warmest April-July have all been in the past 15 years as well as September and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm and Rain warning for Connacht, Clare, Westmeath, Longford, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy showers with thunderstorms likely.

Possible impacts:

• Spot flooding

• Poor visibility

• Difficult travelling conditions

Valid: 13:00 Sunday 09/07/2023 to 21:00 Sunday 09/07/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

As others have said Dublin LITERALLY had its warmest June since 1976. Yes, it was a bit chilly at the start but it was also spectacularly sunny on many of those days and bone dry. 15 days in Dublin Airport were over 20º. 17 in PP I think. 25 days breached the June max of 18º. It didn't rain for weeks on end.

It's amazing the number of people on this forum who don't look up basic facts.

The same people complaining about 4 cool but sunny days with temps around 16º would no doubt have also been complaining had it been warmer but cloudier with winds coming from the south.

• Advertisement

The issue is Gonzo, having written off May and June in late April/early May is now trying to write off June. After the month has actually happened.

I really enjoy his inputs in terms of chart analysis, but the constant pessimism is a bit much at times and I draw the line at someone literally trying to rewrite a month that has actually happened.

"Even at that..."

You're genuinely never happy.

"After the first week of June this year it was mostly 14º and grey skies..."

I'm not sure what month you're describing here but it definitely isn't June 2023.

15 days in Dublin Airport were over 20º. 17 in PP I think. 25 days breached the June average max of 18º. Sunshine was way above average. It didn't rain for weeks on end.

As someone who posts charts all the time, surely you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some heavy showers in the south tonight moving northwards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

23.9C was the max today in south Dublin, proper summers day. yesterday was 21.7C summer is back baby!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

I am aware of the figures as you only have to look at the met Éireann website. Having said that Junes warm spell didn’t feel like all that in my area. Yes it was dry for the last week in May and the first few weeks in June but it didn’t feel overly warm to me. It was pleasant with day time temperatures generally ranging low to mid twenties. Both the July 2021 and July 2022 spells felt far warmer to me. And the August spell last year as well. Felt far hotter. Many people were complaining of the heat and saying would it ever end. I didn’t hear that about Junes spell this year. At least not in my area. I appreciate it may have felt far warmer in western counties

• Advertisement

In south Dublin it was warmest too, though 2018 was close (and ranks as the best summer here so far) - https://www.loughlinstown.ie/records.html

2019 was totally shiite, but summer 2015...worst ever..at least since i started recording!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Few reasons why it didn't "feel" that warm.

Up until we saw destabilisation mid-month which resulted in that spell of thunderstorms, the airmass was very dry. This is reflected in the average dew points - the data below is average dew points for the spells you've named for Casement Aerodrome along with 2018.

23rd May-9th June 2018: 11.4C

24th June-8th July 2018: 11.1C

16th-25th July 2021: 15.1C

10th-19th July 2022: 12.6C

9th-14th August 2022: 12.2C

29th May-7th June 2023: 8.1C

11th-25th June 2023: 12.9C

Look how much lower the dew point was from 29th May-7th June 2023 compared to the other spells, especially July 2021 which was very humid. The drier air and lower humidity certainly were a player in the late May/early June 2023 spell feeling cool at times. The late June/early July 2018 spell also had quite low humidity but unlike the first 2023 one, that did not feature a nagging northeasterly breeze, wasn't as early in the season which can make a big difference due to lag in sea surface temps and the daytime temperatures themselves were much warmer with no low cloud period during the days. The second 2023 spell from 11th-25th June was significantly more humid and felt warmer, not least because of the slight change in wind direction. I remember expressing delight I can finally wear shorts on 11th June without feeling chill.

The wind direction was in from the NE at first and later by the second week of June veered more E and SE which allowed warmer air in for the south and east compared to earlier in the month.

As somebody who lives on the door of the east coast, the 3rd-5th felt warm (until the evenings) nicely coinciding with the Bank Holiday weekend but the rest of the first week did feel cool to me exposed to that northeasterly breeze and this was reflected in the mean temperatures where the west was well above average but the east was below average. We certainly didn't have grey skies mostly for the first week, it was a very sunny week. However, the 1st, 2nd (also 31st May), 6th and 7th June had a strange period of low cloud come in off the sea during the middle part of the day but came back out during the evenings which further limited the potential for heat. Despite that, sunshine was still well above average for an average late May and early June week.

My own anecdotes felt like June 2018 was warmer than 2023 locally and using Dublin Airport data, as it is my closest official station, confirms my anecdotal thought. The mean maximum or average daytime high temperature was warmer here in 2018 than 2023 but the nights were milder in 2023 which tipped it over 2018 and gave the warmest June since 1976. We tend to forget nights when they say statements like "warmest on record" which takes into account both the days and nights.

Thanks Syranbruen, love your stats!. My arbitrary "warm days" stat though is exceptional for 2018 -> 70 versus next best 56 in '22 and '13 so I'd say it was more than warm nights, 2018 was the best summer at least in the last 10 years here at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

An uptick in AAM and you and Gonzo might be enjoying warm sunshine in Sligo and Meath during the last week of July. It certainly does look grim for the next 10 days at least, but if the mjo and AAM deliver the models could change accordingly fairly quickly- unless its the case that the Strong El Nino overrides everything else, then the rest of the Summer will likely be crappy. We just don't know, so in any case I would not be writing off the rest of the summer just yet.

Stats are not needed to show how superb summer 2018 was or well May to July was - we don't mention August. The lack of rain and abundance of sunshine was incredible and in the same year as the biggest snow since 1982 in terms of drifts. Found it even more phenomenal how we only had to wait to 2 years later to find another exceptional dry and sunny period with spring 2020 though of course not even close to as warm due to the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

Thanks Syranbruen for the detailed explanation on why June 2023 spell didn’t feel as warm. The dew points explain a lot. Julys 2021 hot spell dew points were almost twice that of the first half of June 2023 spell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful afternoon and evening in Croke Park. Looks quiet different for tomorrow 😲

Sunset beautiful towards the west leaving the city tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Stunning sunset here in NCD.

I thought I was unlucky with weather for my camp last week but the coming week looks even worse🤨.

I can deal with cooler temperatures like we had last week up until Friday, but what I can't stand is the constant rain when we get a bad spell in summer, it just makes things miserable.

It's summer, people are out and about doing things, it's not too much to ask for it not to be lashing all the time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I never wrote off June. 1st week of June was mostly crap at least here in the east, grey skies and mid teens. UK was very similar situation at the time, even colder than we had. Weeks 2 and 3 were the good weeks for everyone and week 4 was the decline. It's also worth noting before week 2 kicked off with the heat, temperatures were close to 2 degrees below average ending first week of June but by the end of June the anomaly was over 2 degrees above average, a huge recovery and beyond. UK was even more extreme, 1st week of June was close to 3c below average in places like London and by the end of June almost 3c above average so weeks 2 and 3 were immense for the warmth/heat they brought after such a chilly start.

My thoughts on week 1 of June are what I experienced mostly dull and chilly conditions with a wind that would cut you in 2, not the warmth and sunshine which was almost exclusive to the western coastal counties and parts of western Scotland and Wales.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next week looks awful but at least the past 2 days were lovely which I spent mostly in Dublin and not in Meath. Summer was back yesterday and today now back to the models looking for the next window of summer!

• Advertisement

Such a shame that this thread descends into the same revisionism and squabbling every year. Rinse and repeat.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good few claps of thunder and downpours in tipperary.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Beautiful last two days apart from wind, stunning this morning but I know the rain is coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Excellent analysis. Thank you.

We had about three wonderful weeks of weather at this location (Leitrim) in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭SNNUS

June was fantastic in Munster, July has been shocking so far, hopefully a breakthrough before the end of the month. You can never rely on August..

a very wet miserable morning here in Meath, as bad as it gets for mid summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Thought I posted during the rain and thunder earlier. Looked at radar to see it was moving quick.

Back to blue skies.

17⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Stunning day yesterday in west cork, plenty of sunshine and warm! Wild seas though! Another lovely day today so far, dark clouds all around though but taking it in while I can!

back to blue skies in Meath after the very heavy rain cleared off quickly. Hopefully the rest of today I can avoid the showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Short but heavy showers here in South Wicklow all morning, rain pounding off the roof. No thunder or anything though.

Advertisement