Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Plenty of rain yesterday evening. More rain now. As for the forecast? Yikes.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya quite the washout Summer. People were saying how negative I was when I said I thought the whole Summer would be like this and I didn't forsee a 30c day this Summer. At least I was wrong about June. We always get one good month. Wer lucky this year it was June. Some years its April. But the past few Summers have been kind. Even the famous 2020 washout Gonzo quotes wasn't as wet or at least as unsunny in the West.

The only July recently I remember colder than this one was 2011 and that warmed up at the end. This year isn't particularly cold bar a few days but rainfall will be 2 months worth and it's a while since that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible morning in Galway lashing rain and as dark as a Winters day

Over 20mm in Cork so far the highest so far but likely 30 to 40mm there at least. Then 30 to 40mm later today and I to tomorrow here.

I'd be concerned about the winds in the NW tomorrow. Might need a yellow wind warning ⚠️ from Met Eireann. Doubt Orange is warranted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann have only just in the past 20 minutes or so dialled back on the rainfall totals for this afternoon in Wicklow. Still a very wet day but the totals have dropped from 40 to less than 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wet morning in Kildare

Yes the Low Pressure system is evolving all the time so hard to know where the wettest parts will be. The really heavy stuff that was forecast to go over you guys is swirling so the Midlands is taking the brunt and possibly the West and Northwest later. Very few areas escape. The South has seen over 25mm so far in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

23mm since midnight at Cork Airport and another few hours to go. Gusting 60+ kmh too.

A dreadful morning at any time of the year. It could genuinely be November out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Totally correct. Pure fantasy it is at this stage! But fingers crossed a gradual warming trend will establish and consensus will build. That’s all we can hope for!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've been in the Malaga region before in early October and it was lovely, 22 to 24c most days, rarely gets over 25c but it does get a bit chilly in the evening. You can also get the odd day of 30c but those don't happen as often in October. It was sunny for the 10 day period I was last there in October however you can get unlucky and have some wet periods in October over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

satellite shows it easing off and clearing a bit in SW?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An absolutely horrid morning here in Meath but it comes as no surprise, everyone has known about the awful weather for Friday and Saturday well in advance.

That clearance in the south-west is a bit misleading as it will soon be followed by more showers and bands of rain moving up through the country throughout tonight and for most of tomorrow. Forget about doing any outdoor activities for the next 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

To think there was a few out there praying for rain a few weeks ago

Ya there's no yalla grass now. Just ponds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A day for the fire in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway, Biblical rain since about 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's reminding me a lot of 2009. June 2009 was very sunny, warm and mostly dry whilst July was an absolute deluge with tons of rain. In fact, I looked at the reanalysis comparing July 2009 and July 2023 so far. There's an uncanny resemblance in the placement of the weather systems and the jet stream. August continued wet for most, very wet in the west, and was drier in parts of the east.

14th July 2009 vs 14th July 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Really hope we get a drier August at the least, even if it's only 2 weeks. Not been a good July at all

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Well that's really cheered us all up 😮 We don't ask for much in this country nor are our expectations set too high when it comes to the weather, but dear god please give us another sunny week or two before the misery of winter is foisted upon us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Least there was a very nice September with a prolonged fine spell which after last year's terrible one I would really like. Yeah I know it's not the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Today is a shocker. Deluges!

How do I find today's mm of rain in Galway online?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I remember the RAF Red Arrows in Salthill for the Volvo Ocean Race in June 2009 it was a scorcher on the Saturday brilliant display in a cloud free Sky and flat calm. The Yachts left Galway on the following day Sunday and what a difference it was cold and showery with a stiff North wind.

I would have easily traded this weather in June for a warm and sunny July, not a fan of front loaded summers or winters if the prime time of both seasons end up being trainwrecks. No idea yet about this August but this pattern setup could continue into August however it is bound to start running out of steam during August so a better August may happen fingers crossed.

I won't be going outside the door till at least Sunday and even then it will still be unsettled but not as bad as today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lashing rain and strong gusty winds in South Wicklow. Feel sorry for anyone off to a festival this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another write off of a day in so called summer.

So glad we got out for a long walk yesterday evening, still lashed twice on us though.

God love anyone getting married today, no doubt they were dreaming of a summer wedding and drinks outside, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Awful winters day in Kildare, summer goes from bad to worse.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yeah it's always a gamble!! We took a major gamble and had an island wedding off west coast 6 years ago in May. Was 21- 23 degrees and glorious, could have been like today but we got very lucky. Most guests went swimming, hired bikes, outdoors most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

not a good day for the forever young festival.

Advertisement