Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

19mm rain so far today which makes it the wettest since March 9th when I recorded 23mm which is the highest this year. Looking at the radar that total doesnt look like being exceeded today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Liquid is the latest report😭😭

Heavy clay soils are like what they would be in winter. Attached is picture from the farmers journal of the soil moisture deficits up to Tuesday.

For farmers at the moment the weather is really tricky. A lot of winter barley is being lost as the weather is knocking grains off the plant as it's ready to harvest. To sting 3 dry days together would be a massive help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Different strokes for different folks. This weather is hellish for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Got my silage baled yesterday just before the rain started and was bringing them in until nightfall. The gaps and bale storage area was very mucky like winter. It was a far cry from the dust blowing up into my sweaty face this time last year. July was a predictable flop after reaching the top of the rollercoaster in June. I still think we will see a couple of hot days in the end of July and early August. These types of summers usually give them pet days before closing the curtains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

While I wouldn't necessarily agree with you Larbre24, I don't mind our climate most of the time, but I do find it very depressing when we are getting lashed out of it week after week during what is supposed to be our Summer. Yes we don't have to put up with droughts, temperatures in the high 30s or on the flip side months of snow and freezing temperatures, but are we asking too much to expect a relatively dry Summer with the odd Irish style heatwave thrown in for good measure?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

They've started to use more location-specific terminology.

I'm surprised there's a yellow warning, none of the models show anything above 75km gusts, most below that.

I suspect it's just because people are on holidays there and may not be familiar with those winds - it's just a regular winter's day for locals 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

And just when you thought it was all over for the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’ve seen worse, older posters will remember 1985, 1993 was appalling, the flooding in the ‘summers’ of ‘08 and ‘09, can’t remember much of ‘07, ‘10 and ‘11 but were dire by all accounts…… ’12 was a shocker etc etc

Days like this at this time of year aren’t that unusual despite the news telling us that planet Earth is now hotter than Venus …

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Those bad boys are showing up very prominently on the latest sat image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This weather is so depressing 😫 i need to get away in September

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

The Met.ie radar is infuriating and very misleading - I know the Shannon radar is down but the way the image is presented leads one to believe that there is no rain on the west coast for the last few hours as they don't define where they don't have radar coverage. However it has been raining heavily for hours. They should have a grayed-out zone to indicate the radar is not covering this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rained from 10.00 am today in Leitrim. Temperature got up to the dizzying highs of 14C.

Checks calendar, Mid July.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

I see the pressure dropped from 1009 to 985 in a few hours (Malin Head). Sounds rapid to me 🙂. Also, that must be what's making my arthritis very bad this afternoon. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Finally stopped raining in Meath, since 7am this morning. Zzzz. Some difference to the sunshine and heat this weekend last year.

Dark skies 14⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain is getting heavier. Non stop since about 11 or 12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Em, I was in Mahon! Met E data supports what I was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why is it always the weekends we get this crap weather? Bad and all as it is, at least if it was during the week we mightn't care as much.

Rain warning extended for Donegal until 6am

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Might get some thunderstorms there overnight perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

Yep. And a bit of lightning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm in southern Europe right now and I assure that it's far from hellish. Where it's hellish is right where you are, Ireland. Video called home this evening to instruct about taking in the patio flowers before they get destroyed. I was taken on a video tour of my garden and the muck and filth looked awful. Misery! I was never happier to be away. Yes, it's very hot here but go read Gonzo's post about how people in these hot countries cope and cope well. I dread returning to the Atlantic muck and am grateful to have escaped, allbeit temporarily.

I see some strikes on the lightning app. Wasn’t expecting anything tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rainfall at 71.4mm for July now after being at 38.2mm on Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

We're going to find out who can play golf in strong winds on Sunday (at the Scottish Open).

This is basically a reversal from near-perfect summer weather in early to mid June, to this coming stretch. The heaviest rain will pivot around as the low stalls out and begins to drift northeast later today. A band of 20-30 mm rainfalls can be expected from central Connacht to Dublin over the next 12-18 hours. Wind gusts to 80 km/hr will be possible on the exposed western coasts, and gusts to 65 km/hr will probably be fairly widespread elsewhere. Sunday will not improve much if at all. A brief break on Monday will be followed by a second low, this one without a lot of wind but plenty of rain unfortunately in similar areas to this event. Note while most areas are fairly cool on Tuesday, a zone in parts of south Ulster could be record breaking cool for daytime readings, only 11 or 12 C possibly.

Will be interesting to compare with an earlier portion of July in 1993 (9th to 13th give or take) which was extremely cool, I don't have the Irish data but that period in the CET record was tied second coldest five day period in any July since 1772 (only 1-5 July 1907 was colder). Another relatively recent very cool July was 1965. Maybe sryanbruen can track down some daily stats for those months, also July 1954 was very chilly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks MT. That's all very depressing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

My god that's depressing reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

It's pivoting alright MT. Another shocking morning. Crikey.

14⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feck...St Swithin's Day today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

**checks thread**

Right well that's the day out and picnic in Glendalough cancelled. Another day stuck in the house with the mother in law who is visiting from South America. Doesn't speak English so museums are no good and noise which rules out the high stool.

I nearly lost my mind yesterday!

Advertisement