Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we've another 7 to 10 days of this low pressure throwing everything it can at us and then I feel it will begin to run out of steam and chances of something dryer and warmer perhaps developing but we are unlikely to see a solidly warm and dry August but it wouldn't take much for August to be an improvement over July. I feel this is going to end up being a book ended summer. Could be worse, Summer 2020 all 3 months were crap, at least we can't say this about this summer with June being mostly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's ok @M.T. Cranium has said August will be warm.

I propose we send a deputation over to Canada if he is wrong . I'm sure it will be warmer there anyway. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Imagine walking around Rome today. Not really possible.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

If you don’t have legs I suppose 😜

Breaking news….. “The exact date high pressure and temperatures reach Ireland again” (as the newspapers like to put it). 25th December! 😉 You heard it here first!

• Advertisement

I’d much rather be walking around in Rome today nipping in and out of the sunshine and heat to cool off every now and again (air con in most places last time I went there funny enough) than walking around in the world’s biggest swimming pool (Ireland). That’s for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

We seemed to again have dodged a bullet with rain in West Mayo, a few mm overnight but dry since dawn and nice sunshine and warm right now. It's very nice and sunbathing consitions if you've shelter from the north breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dry and warm in Galway now too. I doubt we will have more rain today.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Shower train has got going in west Waterford again. Was dry for about 2 hours have had a couple of beefy ones since.

I’ll take my chances with Rome any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yes, one of those years, I think it was between 07 and 09, it rained practically every weekday for nearly the 3 months.

Any predictions yet on how good or terrible August might be? Purely going from past experience I’m not holding out much hope - wasn’t there one time, possibly back in the late 80s or early 90s that schools delayed opening by 1 week because an Indian summer arrived after a terrible Jun-Aug or was that only me wishful thinking?

• Advertisement

We’ve had a number of summers like this through the years. Unfortunately these wet warm summers are only predicted to increase - While I don’t want 45 degrees we certainly get the short end of the stick in Europe when it comes to number of days of sunshine and dry weather

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

August is usually awful, the odd day with sunny spells but mostly like July has been so far. At least that's how I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

you can be 100% certain of that, a big area of high pressure will build over Europe/Iberia in December as it always does without fail.

Has there ever been a warm sunny August after a miserable July? I can’t find one, I thought it could have happened in 2003 but it didn’t, having consulted Met Eireann past weather statements July that year was warm though not very sunny, 20c was exceeded on 20 days compared with an average of 8 that month in Dublin.

And cooler too if that could be possible, where July has had high rainfall.

Whilst August is often the month Spain and Portugal close down because of the heat from the perspective of people working, August in Ireland , if it’s good at all, is more like mid October weather in Spain - hot in the day and cool at night - only a handful of times has it been consistently great throughout the month and I think we all remember those years like 2018 or 1990 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In fairness it only rained once today 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭gilly1910

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

1940 I had mentioned back in June was a very warm and sunny June followed by a wet and cool July. August 1940 was very dry but wasn't warm.

1893 had a wet and cloudy July after a fine June (also exceptionally dry, warm spring) followed by a warm and sunny August with some thunderstorms. The July wasn't particularly cool.

The fact I'm having to resort back to years ago though tells you how unusual it would be if it would happen and the likelihood of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Enjoying a lovely afternoon, evening in the sun here in North Donegal. We have suffered for so often on getting the worse of the weather when the rest of the country is getting

decent weather. So nice to get a turn around and making the best of it....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another atrocious afternoon here in Meath, after the rain cleared around 1pm it started to turn dryer but intense deluges again since 3pm with rivers of water running down the streets of Dunshaughlin and side road in towards Supervalu was covered in surface water from flash flooding. Still raining currently.

The rain/showers look like they are finally clearing now but we've had alot of rain here today. We have 13 more days to go till the end of the month and alot more rain to come between now and the final seconds of July, this is going to be one very wet summer month indeed, will probably surpass July 2020 in most parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Right so rain was biblical yet again in NCD today, at least it was forecasted well, so it was the play centre for us this morning.

God, I hate them, was crammed full but sure were else can the kids go🤷‍♀️.

Thankfully it stopped raining around 2pm, so I managed to get them out for a walk and fresh air which I wasn't expecting.

It did rain on way home but thankfully not too heavy, at this stage my expectations are very low, I'm happy if it's dry.

• Advertisement

Nice video explaining some of the drivers of the current crap :-

https://youtu.be/ykC7ZeOa04Q

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A very nice summers day down in West Mayo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Had dinner on the patio in Cork, very pleasant evening. No doubt it'll switch around any day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Took a gamble and jumped in the car out to Lough Tay after work this evening. Got a decent summers evening with some sun driving through North Wicklow and Dublin mountains.

When I left home close to 6 it was pissing down but a different world once I hit Wicklow and in past the Sugarloaf the sun was there.

Felt like I was losing the plot couped up last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Spent from 3pm outside, which was great considering the downpour all morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm only after coming back from 3+ weeks of high 30s and wall-to-wall sunshine so I reckon you're much closer to cracking up than I am! That aside, I'm not sure why you decided to come after me when you have people here who are talking down June 2023, which was a legitimately great month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

30C has been achieved in Ireland in 2003, 2005, 2006, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2022 this century so far.

Out of those 8 years, 30C was achieved on 19th July in 5 of them {2006, 2013, 2016, 2021 and 2022}.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

This coming Saturday looks like another absolute s**tshow. Would that be a fair assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭gilly1910

It's funny how quickly you forget, the last two weeks of May and first two weeks of June were stunning, but primarily on the West Coast. Dublin while it did have some lovely spells of weather was nowhere near as warm or sunny as the rest of the country, and was generally overcast and cooler. So not entirely sure where you live Artane2020, I would guess Dublin by your username, but only half of June was a really good month, and not in Dublin. BTW hope you enjoyed your three weeks away you lucky sod, you timed that well. Cruel and all as it is, we all love been away on holidays, and hearing that it's awful at home 🙂

• Advertisement

a shower on it's way here, we can't even get one dry day.

Advertisement