Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

Same here. I’ve a few things going on and most of them involve outdoor activities. Very frustrating the fact it’s two weekends in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The lowest July national maxima since 1988. 1988 and 2023 are only synoptic stations whilst the other years include climate stations.

1988 22.0C

1998 23.2C

2007 23.3C

2023 24.1C

2009 24.1C

2011 24.4C

2004 24.5C

2020 24.6C (equal to 2023 for synoptic stations with 24.1C)

July 1988 was a bit... grim.. national wind records were set that month too during an unusually deep windstorm on the 25th including storm force winds on the Donegal coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Might indeed be 3 weekend washouts in a row in Sligo. Despite weekend 1 washout bringing 25mm of rain it rained most of it, weekend 2 washout last week brought us 70mm of rain in Sligo. Some areas got 100mm. This weekend promises 40mm though 25mm on Saturday so about 10mm Friday and 5mm Sunday? Could be 50mm.

Annoyingly 70mm last weekend followed by approx 10mm for the whole week and now another 40 to 50mm this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Artane2002

June 2023 was exceptionally warm, very sunny, and drier than average so I don't really know what more one could realistically ask for. I was criticised for thinking July 2022 was overrated, with my main argument being that it was a good bit duller than average. If people are going to use the warmth argument to say July 2022 was fantastic, then June 2023 had a more significant warm anomaly than July 2022 (by more than double at Dublin Airport)! People from the east were obsessed with June 2021 too, although it was very dry, it only had average sunshine and was significantly less warm than June 2023. All of this, along with the current weather, should mean you'd expect people to be all over June 2023 yet people are trying to say significantly duller, less relatively warm months were better?

Thanks, I did enjoy my holiday, I wasn't going to brag about it if the poster I was replying to didn't make that remark 😉. I did pay back for it instantly though since I came back on Friday, the worst day of the summer, and during the wettest hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

MT sounds very positive about the worst of being over for a while after this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Christ sake it could be about to get a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Put that away please, mis-read the dates on the chart...ignore my earlier comment if you saw it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yesterday and today in Cork have been quite nice, maybe not heatwave summery weather, but 20+ degrees, calm and dry.

Looking like Friday afternoon through Saturday will be awful.

Stuck in the office when its nice, then when we're all off its terrible. And then we can't go away on holiday because we're stuck in the office.

Most stations remain below July 2020 as of yesterday the 19th but as with Oak Park and Mount Dillon continuing to have their wettest July since 2009, Mullingar is now having its wettest since 2010. Mace Head is the only station now below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It was a bright morning on the Dublin/Kildare border and lovely to be out in it, but it has clouded over and it is very chilly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

M T is a mighty man Met office uk are calling it as well get , delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gilly1910

Lovely morning in Dublin, but surprise surprise it's now lashing out again, and yet again it looks like there will be no lunchtime walk. While I'm sure the experts on here will quickly put me right, I'm actually coming to the conclusion that we get more rain in Ireland during the Summer than we do during the Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A whole lot worse before it gets better,perhaps.

We don't. Winter is by far wetter. Spring is our driest season followed by summer.

Summer wetter than winter is a feature of continental climes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo Meh so far in terms of July rain. I know it's at 116mm now on the gauge but I had 154mm another year. Prob 2009. Itl be close to that after the weekend. 20mm on Saturday.

However July 2023 is the wettest month of the year so far in Sligo. The infamous wet March just broke the 100 mark here.

I sometimes feel the same, but think it's just that I hate warm wet weather more - harder to dress for! I would have assumed Winter must be wettest.

But looking at the long term averages for my local station Casement, Autumn is by far the wettest at 215.6. Then little difference between Summer and Winter at 189 and 188 respectively. And Spring the driest at 161.7. I'm sure the national figures are different though.

As winter is very westerly on average, Casement (and much of the central east due to the Wicklow mountains) is relatively sheltered. That's why there's negligible difference there between summer and winter. Now if we look at a place completely exposed, the opposite to Casement... Valentia in Kerry has 504mm in winter and 332mm in summer.

Yes, I've no doubt average national values will follow the expected pattern. But experiencing Dublin seasons, it's interesting to see that the feeling that summer is just as wet as winter is supported by the stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Cloudy and cool. Thought it would be a better day. At least it’s not raining…meh it’s July.

As someone who can’t read the charts what exactly are they saying for the next few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Feeling very humid today. And OMG the flies. Got bitten all over when was out gardening and walking the dog. It's horrible. But weather wise, it's dry and warm so not a bad day!

Very unsettled, wet weekend followed by another week of mostly showers, rain at times. Temperatures remaining subpar in the mid/upper teens finishing off this shitshow of a July in its appropriate place - the dump. Looks like the weekend after will be awful too with more low pressure. Maybe signs of August improvement but that's all extended stuff and not the favoured option at this point. Expect more of the same.

Raining here again. I think there are encouraging signs it may settle down into August at least for a few days. The UKMO had hinted at it, and the GFS extended has shown it settling down. We need to see things firm up a bit over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I blame the drought thread. It jinxed us

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and just as I guessed todays 'dry' day has not worked out, dark skies and rain here again and the lawn really needs to be cut and weeds growing everywhere very quickly. This July is nothing short of a horror show and I'm completely and utterly fed up with this summer now. I'm very quickly designating this summer to the pile of rotten summers in the same mucky pool of summers such as 2007 to 2012 and 2020.

MT seems very optimistic about August but I dunno, this pattern we are in could possibly actually get worse before it gets better and we have several more weeks of this to come before it may begin to run out of steam and by that stage we will be knocking on the door of Autumn.

I have not had a chance to cut the lawn either. It's not good to be cutting it while wet. So the wait goes on to cut it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tomorrow may be last chance providing it doesn't rain till tomorrow evening. From tomorrow evening all through the weekend and into the early part of next week there is no chance of anyone here getting their lawns cut and the garden is going to look quite a state if it's left till the second half of next week and even by then there is no guarantee of any dry grass to cut the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A nice day in Galway and it seems to be getting better (more sunshine). This week isn't half as bad as I expected.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Thanks very much Sryan appreciate you taking the time to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

The funniest thing about this pretty poor month is that July's highest temp is likely to be the 24.1º recorded at Malin Head - of all places - on the 7th.

When has that ever happened?

Advertisement