Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

48c today in Sardinia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My auntie sent me a video of thunderstorms in Italy that's the 3rd time in 8 days she's had them and wow the fork lightning around her it was a cream colour which I'd never seen before ,if I can upload the video I will as its just unbelievable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Grand day out and about in Kerry, cool in the shade mind you, was in Killarney and a right cool wind off the lake, jacket zipped up. Nice blue skies,picnic lunch sheltering behind Ross Castle 😀, pitch and putt after dinner and even got the grass cut so all in all not a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheStonecutter

It seems to be a common pattern alright, although not always the case. June and July 2021 were both decent. So were June/July 2018.

This year has been classic Leaving Cert weather: good until the exams finish, followed by weeks of muck. Similar to 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any idea what the weather will be like next Sunday thinking of going to Bray for the Airshow but no point in going from the west if the current charts are anything to go by.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure if that 48.8c has been made official by the WMO yet. 48c would equal the previous/or current European record of 48c set in Greece. @sryanbruen will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

So much dew this morning.

Wee nip on morning run. Lovely and bright. Amen.

9⁰ earlier. 11⁰ now. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Beautiful morning here easily the nicest morning in over a month. Lovely blue skies and sunshine. Everywhere still very damp but a lovely feel to the air in the sun and so nice to feel the suns rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

#Onthisday 25th July in 1988, Malin Head recorded the highest mean wind speed and highest gust of 102 km/h and 137 km/h respectively for the month July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Beautiful sunny morning but its very chilly only 10 degrees this morning, hopefully will warm up quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I would say it's milder but cloudier here in the south west. Quite an autumnal feel but a lovely morning. My garden looks smashing after all the weeding and pruning yesterday. If only it would stay dry I'd happily take this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The 2021 48.8C was very recently made official this time last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

forecast: dry today with widespread outbreaks of July.

amazing how a temp of only 17.8c can be considered a good day in the third week of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

With a scoreline of 142mm to 12.5mm to the weekend over the weekdays could we finish with a final score of 200mm to 30mm?? It's possible. Meaning all the weekends in July were nearly 7 times wetter than the weekdays in July. In Sligo anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's quite cold in Lucan. But it's lovely out. Dry and sunny. Having lunch outside to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely morning in Cork, forecast for the day looks lovely. We definitely seem to be getting the best of any weather going this month. Even the charts posted in the FI thread show "only" ~20mm over the next week for us vs 2-3x that for most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

16 degrees at 1pm and we are all delighted, Jaysus shocking stuff for 25th July.

Just shows how bad July has been.

I'd call today a nice 'spring' day but certainly not summer with those temperatures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How are things looking for the Bray Air Show on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

East Galway seems hot enough.

finally getting to sit out in back lawn in the sun after weeks of sh1te and feels hot (albeit nice and sheltered etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Not all of us are delighted appledrop I can assure you! I 100% agree with you on today being a late spring day at best and even at that I can see the grey slate starting to appear to the west of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The growth is phenomenal alight. The weeds were clogging up my young trees and plants. Grass growth was unreal. Farmers will be pleased. Thankfully today and yesterday are perfect for gardening.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

66mm forecast for here now between Saturday and Monday but the majority of it Saturday night. Maybe 40mm. The rest heavy showers. If this comes off we will be around 220mm come the end of July and 325mm for Summer so far. Don't think August will be as wet as this prob 100 to 150mm at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Noticed Dublin Airport hasn't hit 20C in 13 consecutive days. Haven't had such a prolonged period in high summer lacking in 20C since July/August 2015.

Another 2 dry weekdays in a row it seems though tomorrow will be the first wet weekday we have had in July. 20mm of rain here tomorrow.

Most of our weekdays have been 17c and few showers nearly all the weekends 14c and sideways rain.

It's like a good Spring in the week and a bad Autumn at the weekend. Certainly no 1985 or 1986 here or even 2007 to 2012. Coz these years there was rain almost every single day. This year we had a heatwave in June and washout weekends in July but the weekdays are quite normal for Sligo in July perhaps even sunnier than we normally get.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Dark grey dreary day Cork City pure muck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

Still going here and sweaty hot in sheltered back lawn, it’s actually proper sun bathing heat.

Edit: cant rotate this pic, appears as normal way up on phone, but on boards, appears arse ways and no obvious way to rotate 🙄

Post edited by obi604 on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think you've probably done better than here in Meath, we've really only had 3 dry days here this month so far, yes weekdays are dryer but still been plenty of heavy showers and downpours on those days here. Yesterday was meant to be dry but there were still a few showers here yesterday. Today is the first properly dry day here since the nice weekend of the 7th/8th July.

Warm and overcast today. Hit and miss showers locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The last two days are a reminder of how quickly things can dry up at this time of year. With all the rain we've had recently the fields would be flooded at any other time of the year

Advertisement