Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When it comes to bad summers we won't be forgetting summer 2023 in a hurry, it's right up there with the very worst of the 2007-2012 period and a few stinkers from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

17⁰ Meath and its manky. Everytime I think its brightening up it starts short bursts of rain.

Wow the radar for London along with lightning. Returned from there yesterday after 4 days. One afternoon of rain and in a tshirt otherwise. Savage conditions there today 😵

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I seen the flooding in Dublin and even here in carrick we had massive amounts of rain last night , my backgarden was partially flooded , even a frog 🐸 bounced into my sitting room last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A better week ahead

Below average rainfall totals are forecast for many areas with just 5-10mm forecast widely, it looks set to be wettest in the west and northwest with 10-20mm predicted over the 7 day period.

Sunshine amounts over the next 7 days are likely to trend around average with a better chance for some prolonged spells of sunshine than in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2023 is currently the 7th wettest summer since 1963 at Dunsany (when records began). Only one of them is from the 20th century - 1985 - whilst all the others are this century and the only one not from the infamous 2007-12 period is 2020.

2008 365.0mm

2012 363.0mm

2009 354.1mm

2020 307.0mm

1985 305.3mm

2007 294.4mm

**2023 283.8mm**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm not one bit surprised, hasn't stopped raining in about 6 weeks.

It's nit just the amount of rain but frequency, rained nearly ever single one of those days for last 6 weeks.

Astonishing really when you think about it.

Add in below average temperatures and lack of sunshine as well just for the craic.

At least it brightened up a bit here in NCD, managed to get out for a while in between the showers and wind.

Currently 15 degrees not bad for a March day.

And I'd say if we counted actually wet days for last 6 weeks, has to be worse ever, hasn't stopped raining for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dublin Airport is on around 33 wet days (>1.0mm) and 44 rain days (>0.2mm) this summer to date. These are only estimates.

Summer 2022 had 22 wet days whilst 2021 had 19 wet days. 2020 had as much as 50 wet days. Some way to go before reaching 2020. 2020 was also above where 2023 is now with 39 wet days as of August 5th that year.

Other very wet summers wet day counts:

2012 54 days

2007 49 days

1985 48 days

1958 47 days

2008 39 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It has finally brightened up to blue skies here in West Dublin but there is no break in the rain longer than 15 minutes. Still quite cool.

Thought there might be a rainbow to compensate, but no sign.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some heavy showers packing quite a punch moving through here in Meath, a bit like Dublin rain on and off every 25 minutes or so. Driveway still flooded after last nights deluge and neighbors driveway flooded also. The local roads still have standing water in places and the ditches are full of flowing water up to the brim. I was in Duleek earlier today and quite a bit of floodwaters in the fields there around the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

just when thought a pattern change to something more summer like was possible oul St Swithin has the final say with low pressure still in charge,

In fairness, the rainbow has appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Looking at the charts this evening, is Wednesday now the best day next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

Today's weather was lovely. I attempted to hang out laundry but it made a shower so I hung them inside. The weather turned out lovely. I wasn't prepared for it and I had a jacket when out and about today and no suncream. A cardi would have been more than enough. Not complaining for sweating so much in a jacket. I got a little bit of the grass cut too and then I abandoned it because the midgees became unbearable.

All in all a huge welcome compared to to muck we had over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Plenty of sunshine today. Best day since I can’t remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Down in Achill all evening.

Blue skies with a few clouds threatening but the sun winning out.Windy and cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, once the rain cleared today, it was a very pleasure day and afternoon/evening.

Pity there wasn't more such days.

Nice bright morning in Dublin, still freezing though 11 degrees.

Seems to be warmer in West though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Based off the latest Met Eireann forecast Wednesday does not look all that great, unless you like cloud and humidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yesterday was sunny in west cork with some cloud, and was actually warm in the sun! Wind was strong from the storm though and chilly, but at least we could sit out!

Today is much the same as yesterday, but without the wind making the day much more pleasant to get out and about for walks, a spin etc

It has been dry, bright, and cold in Dublin. I got my first chance without rain to tidy up the garden after the storm - just leaves and twigs thankfully, but looks like Autumn - lots of berries too. The ground is still damp, though, and now the showers have arrived. Hopefully it's short lived.

Wednesday is looking best at the moment with the warmer push of air now sweeping away as early as Thursday afternoon. Back to rather cool atlantic conditions for next weekend. This appears to be more of a typical atlantic pattern than the one which gave us a nationwide 6 week washout. Chances of the weather settling down for a day or 2 seem greater than it was during July and rainfall looks like affecting western and north-western areas alot more than eastern and southern areas with much less in the way of rainfall there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very heavy showers this morning interrupted by sunshine. Ground is utterly saturated. An afternoon in the polytunnel beckons. Tomatoes are very slow to ripe for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Got caught twice this morning by downpours. I thought the rain train was only going to kick off later this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very pleasant day here in North Donegal.

Sunshine and a nice breeze. Not overly warm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Had plans to get some gardening done today as was expecting today to be best of the weekend but it's worse than yesterday. Very frequent heavy showers since late morning here in Meath has cancelled plans for another day.

Another rubbish day here in Meath, plenty of heavy showers and downpours and ground is absolutely saturated.

Very heavy downpours here in North Kildare at the moment. Water pooling on the roads. Every time you think it has passed over it starts again. Breezy and cool. The morning was better than I had expected based on yesterday's forecast, but yr.no had suggested a mostly dry day this morning - not so unfortunately!

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got the family out early this morning for our weekend walk, just Dalkey and Killiney hills as I was expecting rain later which duly arrived as we got back to the car park, chuffed!

Big pools of water in Kilbogget park near here where i go jogging often, very rare to see that in the Summer.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement